Thread: Quick questions on housing and feeding.

Abrahamdelacy

Default Quick questions on housing and feeding.

Hey guys! I have a tomato frog who I presume to be male. I want to get a female to put with him. I know the general rule is 10 gallons per frog, but I was wondering if the rules can be stretched a bit like with African clawed frogs? I was thinking of getting a 20 gallon long tank and would like to know if it could house three tomato frogs comfortably. Also I was wondering what their dusting should be like? Right now I am giving mine calcium and multivitamins once a week. On separate days. My crickets are properly gut loaded. I've been feeding just about every other day. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tomato Frog

Default Re: Quick questions on housing and feeding.

Ohhhh Another tomato frog owner! Yay I also just recently brought home my first tomato, Pekoe, not to long ago.. I found this dusting schedule to be helpful myself: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html
    Maybe this can help you until a more experienced member can give you more specific advise.. they will likely need more details though, like how old he is, his size from snout to vent, etc.

Anyways I hope this helped a bit and good luck with your tomato

- Dani

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Quick questions on housing and feeding.

Hey and Welcome to the forum!! So many new faces around here lately. I love it!

I have zero experience with tomato frogs, but I will be happy to share what I can.

Here is a care sheet I found. There are many our there. I would encourage you to google for tomato frog care and read as many as you can get your hands on.

A general rule of thumb is a minimum of 10g of usable space per frog. Things to consider with any tank is you will use 4 - 6 inches just for substrate + drainage layer alone (if you have a frog that digs and burrow typically the drainage layer is skipped). So for example in a 18x18x24 tank is roughly 33 gallons. If the substrate is taking up 6 inches you are left with roughly 25 usable gallons of space. So under the general rule you could house no more than 2 frogs in that tank.

To figure the volume of an aquarium use the following formula Length x Width x Height divided by 231 (if converting to gallons).

All that being said I would not recommend you keep more than 1 tomato frog in the current tank you have. In the care sheet I linked above it recommends a minimum of 36Lx18Dx18H be used for adults and can house up to 3.

For dusting you should read the link shared by Dani and use it as a template for laying out a dusting schedule. Dusting is vital to frogs to ensure they are getting the proper nutrients on their captive diet.

Hope this helps
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Thread Information