Thread: Is my pacman in too much water?

Ribbitedforherpleasure

Default Is my pacman in too much water?

I bought an ornate pacman frog recently, he's about 2 inches long from snout to vent and I keep him in a 9x6x6.5 inch critter keeper. The enclosure is filled about two inches deep with pool sand and has about another quarter inch of water in it. I scooped some of the sand to the side so he can pull himself most of the way out of the water if he wants to; also, buried beneath the sand is a little five gallon tank heater to keep his cage warm. Is this too much water for a pacman? I don't want him to get sick or something. He's eating well and he's acting fine but I just want to know for sure.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Is my pacman in too much water?

Hello and welcome to FF ! Please read this article that will show proper care for your frog: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding. Sand is not a good substrate and should be replaced with shredded coco (Plantation Soil or EcoEarth) mixed with dechlorinated tap until slightly damp and clumps in fist without dripping water out.

In enclosure there should be a water dish filled with dechlorinated water to frog's chin level cleaned in hot water and refilled daily. A small silk plant will help frog relax and so will covering 3 sides of enclosure with paper.

Humidity between 70-80% and day temperature of 82F (with couple degree drop at night) are the correct parameters. Can't place a heat source under substrate because frogs bury to cool off.

Best food are not dyed night crawlers (from Walmart or local bait shop). Can cut in 2 in. pieces with scissors from pointy end and tong feed to frog. Need to add supplements to food, more on that in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information