Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could I get some help with an injury?

Lovino

Default Re: Could I get some help with an injury?

Of fricken course our petsmart doesnt carry much pond meds! I found another frog owner/employee after searching through fish/frog/lizard/turtle meds for ones with the same active ingredients as the now non-sold maracyn. I found one, that was rather pricy, and was a tablet. It had the same ingredient as i think maracyn 1, i dont remember the ingredient, it started with an e. WELL the other frog person/employee listened to my story and what I was doing. She recomended melafix (active ingredient: melaleuca) which has the same active ingredient as the aquatic frog and turtle meds. She told me it was frog safe, she had success with it, and the tabs would be difficult, a mess, and too pricy. Do you guys know about melafix? It was affordable, so I did get it, seeing it as an option, possibly my only option.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lovino

So i did some calculations, the melafix says 1 tsp for 10 gallons. So im mixing 1 gallon, so i need .1 tsp. 1ml equals roughly .202 tsp, so i would need to use .5 ml for a gallon. But this would be for fish, so i would need .25 ml (half) for one gallon for a frog, then let him soak for a minute or two, does that sound right?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

There are different Melafix products that use various concentrations so do follow the labels instructions. If dosage states 1 teaspoon/10 gal.; it's easier to convert the teaspoon to milliliters and work with that. ! teaspoon = 5 ml, so for 1 gal. solution you would use 0.5 mil Melafix in 1 gal. dechlorinated tap. That is the dose you would use in the frogs water dish or water section in the enclosure, to provide as much contact time as possible.

You can also use in dips; but it will be less effective that way. Melafix was designed for fish that are in full contact with it. You want your frog to have the same treatment if possible and do not dilute it any further since Melafix is not a strong medication.

It would help us if you keep all posts about a frogs ailment in one thread. Starting a new thread for every other related question can cause confusion and prevent those that help you give proper advice. Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

5. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Lovino

thats why i returned to this, the other was just more to verify what to get asap. his wounds looks nearly healed. ok, well hes not doing much actual soaking himself. so i should do full strength soaks, for how long? i gave him a half dosage for 5 minutes. Full strength in his drinking water too? also should i put some in the spritzing bottle too?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Could I get some help with an injury?

Not necessary to add to your spray bottle.

SSD was sent today. When you get it, rinse out his water bowl and just use dechlorinated water. Apply the SSD cream to the wounds once daily.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

8. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Lovino

The melafix i have is 1 % melaleuca. So full dose drinking water, got it! But i need to know how long to soak him.... also will the ssd, since it has sulfa,will it help cure more than the wound's bacteria?

Lovino

I forgot too, im almost out of spring water, i picked up some aquasafe for frogs/reptiles to make tap water safe, will it be safe to use with melafix.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, you can first dechlorinate your tap water, then add the melafix.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

12. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Lovino

I got the ssd today, so im going to switch to normal water;unless its safe to use malefix with it. Will the ssd help fight off the illness in more than the wounds?

Lovino

Does anyone know if you can use malefix and ssd together? If so I want to, to help knock this bacteria out the park!

Lovino

Can no one help me with this question? I think the bacteria has progressed past the wounds, and now its making him ill, given the head tilting. Though he isnt getting worse. Looking on petsmart's site, is there anything I should try with him if he doesnt seem to get better? I was looking at the triple sulfa and one other that started with an e, same ingredient as maracyn 2. (cant remember the name) but im unsure if theyre safe. After the wounds heal, Ill still try the melafix. Is it possible for him to fight it off himself?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Liz, I do not know if it's safe to use Melafix and SSD together. I have one more suggestion, and that is to contact Michael Novy via his Facebook page. He is a wonderful breeder that may have some other suggestions. Let him know you are from Frog Forum.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1089512983

17. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Lovino View Post
    Does anyone know if you can use malefix and ssd together?
    yes you can use melafix and ssd at the same time. Any fish medication is safe to use for frogs.

However, it seems a problem is past self treating, i highly doubt melafix will do anything, you should be looking into systemic antibiotics and vet.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Lovino

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    yes you can use melafix and ssd at the same time. Any fish medication is safe to use for frogs. However, it seems a problem is past self treating, i highly doubt melafix will do anything, you should be looking into systemic antibiotics and vet.
    Honestly I dont have the cash that both herp vets near me required for initial test. Not only that, but theyre like 1-2 hours away, depending the one your going to. I adopted these guys to save them from the lab, a lab just using their legs to observe muscle twitches. Im trying my best, and he seems to be improving again. he isnt really head tilting anymore. He certainly doesnt seem like hes getting worse.

Nationality
    [United States]

How's he doing? Any new photos?

Lovino

To be honest im not sure. Hes not head tilting, and i placed in a deep tub of water to see if he would corkscrew spin, and he didnt. So thats good... But his eye is still cloudy, but he isnt acting cramped on the prior head tilted side either anymore. He doesnt move much, and looks like hes sleeping. when I move him to medicate the wounds, he seems to wake up, and really starts to move. He seems to move when im not around, like across the tank. He isnt eating on his on, I recently found one my best friends father use to keep reptiles and frogs, and so did my uncle, so I might ask them for help.

Nationality
    [United States]

Does anyone know if you can use malefix and ssd together? If so I want to, to help knock this bacteria out the park!
    Yes you can as Lija stated. SSD should be applied topically as per Heather's instructions. Melafix solution can be used on frog's water's dish per the label's mixing ratio with dechlorinated tap water.

Can no one help me with this question? I think the bacteria has progressed past the wounds, and now its making him ill, given the head tilting. Though he isnt getting worse. Looking on petsmart's site, is there anything I should try with him if he doesnt seem to get better? I was looking at the triple sulfa and one other that started with an e, same ingredient as maracyn 2. (cant remember the name) but im unsure if theyre safe. After the wounds heal, Ill still try the melafix. Is it possible for him to fight it off himself?
    Frogs take a long time to heal. You should continue treatment until frog either get's well or fails to recover.

Honestly I dont have the cash that both herp vets near me required for initial test. Not only that, but theyre like 1-2 hours away, depending the one your going to. I adopted these guys to save them from the lab, a lab just using their legs to observe muscle twitches. Im trying my best, and he seems to be improving again. he isnt really head tilting anymore. He certainly doesnt seem like hes getting worse.
    Sorry your rescue is causing grief. Even for an experienced keeper with veterinary support; taking responsibility of an ill frog is very challenging and can always end in a dead animal. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Liz,

Is your frog hanging in there?

Lovino

Yeah, i feel real bad for her. (I believe that both of them are female after some research) She just sorta plateaued in healing. The wounds have been healing. But then her other eye started to cloud and her legs started to turn red, I was alarmed, so I did some research. I found tetracycline treats for gram positive and negative I think, not all mind you. So I started treating her with that, according to a guide I found, and using 3% saline solutions on her eyes. That was two days ago, since then her eyes have cleared a little, and her legs are no longer red. I'm hoping this medicine will do the trick. But Knowing my luck, and my poor frog it wont.... Her friend chives is doing fine, though shes fat......Which I was going to ask about in a separate forum.

Lovino

Still cant afford a vet.. Im putting in some applications for work, when I borrowed the money for the tetracycline for my frog, my mother told me "its just a frog, its not like a cat."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information