Thread: What morph is my frog? And a few questions.

OctopusMagic

Default What morph is my frog? And a few questions.

Name:  IMG_1474[1].jpg
Views: 86
Size:  131.1 KB

Hello everyone. I keep turtles, but this is my first frog. I'm just wondering what color morph it is, as I understand there are quite a few. Also, I just got him the other day, but he doesn't want to eat, so should I just let him adjust for a few days before feeding? Also, would you recommend that I feed him in his enclosure or keep a separate feeding area? The little container he's in is only temporary until I get a heat pad. I'll move him into a 10 gallon which I'm told is sufficient. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

WorldClassFrogCoddler

Default Re: What morph is my frog? And a few questions.

Well, first of all, welcome to the Pacman forum!

As for the color morph, I'm not too sure. I'm no expert, but to me it looks like a cranwelli. TheFrogRanch.com sells a cranwelli with 3 green stripes that looks very similar, but the coloring is different. So, I don't really know on that one. Maybe someone else can help.

Letting him adjust a few days should be fine. If he's been eating regularly he certainly won't starve. That said, the cranwelli is somewhat notorious for being a picky eater, and most of them that come from retail stores are fed a steady diet of crickets, which they love, but which contain very little nutrients. The frogs don't know this though, so they only want to hunt crickets themselves. What most people end up feeding the little guys are nightcrawlers, but for that, you gotta feed the frog with a set of tongs. Most everyone here, including myself, has eventually come around to tong feeding, and the frogs are healthy, so maybe you should try it too. Although a varied diet of nightcrawlers, crickets, waxworms, mice, fish, and other creepy crawlers can keep your frog at it's maximum health, when fed in moderation.

Most people reccommend you keep the frog in it's enclosure and feed it there, because it doesn't stress the frog out as much. Personally, I take the frog out and put him in a tupperware container with a moist paper towel in it for feeding time. He's come to accept the tongs finally, and he will eat a worm quickly, then I put him back, and he seems fine afterwards. So it depends on how chilled out your frog is. They can hurt themselves if they get stressed, or even just drop dead. They are deliicate. So you gotta get to know your frog and keep it stress-free as possible. But feeding it in the normal enclosure can lead to the frog eating the substrate, which can cause impaction. So there are pros and cons both ways.

A 10 gallon is sufficient, but it will need a heating pad, a water dish, coco-fiber substrate, thermometer/hygrometer, tongs, etc. Remember to get the tools you will need to keep the frog healthy. Also, you definately need to supplement your frog's diet with a high-quality multi-vitamin and also some calcium with D3. The frog will die without it.

Good luck! I hope your frog stays healthy and happy!

What's the little booger's name?

Thread Information