Thread: Housing a snake in the same room as a tree frog?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Housing a snake in the same room as a tree frog?

This may be a silly question, but my grey tree frog is always so mellow and seemingly content that I don't want to do anything to stress her out. We're seriously considering getting our first snake (a Brooks King), but it would need to be housed in the same 5 by 8 room that the frog is living in. Their enclosures would be about three feet apart, and any out of tank time for the snake would also need to be in that room. Would the scent of the snake affect the frog? The frog came first, so she gets the veto vote on the snake if it'll bother her in any way!

2. This member thanks wodesorel for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Housing a snake in the same room as a tree frog?

I doubt the frog could smell the snake. But if you have the tanks right next to eachother, the sight of the snake might scare the frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

I keep several snakes in the same room as my frogs. The frogs have never shown any discomfort with it. Just make sure they can't see each other.

Tongue Flicker

The frogs i put in with some of my snakes don't last long. Then again, my snakes are naturally frog-eaters so i'm not surprised. It is fun to see a frog raise its body and legs to make itself look bigger and scare a snake away though

Nationality
    [United States]

The frog will be safely tucked away the entire time! I'll velcro her lid down as well for safety just in case the snake ever does accidentally get out as she's the only thing in the room that will be edible.

If I spin her tank a tiny bit (it's a hex with a 3 sided background) then she won't be able to see over to the side of the room where the snake will be. It won't look as nice since the back is unfinished, but if it keeps her happy that's all that matters. Thank you!

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Quote Originally Posted by wodesorel View Post
    The frog will be safely tucked away the entire time! I'll velcro her lid down as well for safety just in case the snake ever does accidentally get out as she's the only thing in the room that will be edible.

If I spin her tank a tiny bit (it's a hex with a 3 sided background) then she won't be able to see over to the side of the room where the snake will be. It won't look as nice since the back is unfinished, but if it keeps her happy that's all that matters. Thank you!
    I'm not sure that you have to do that if the tanks are on opposite sides of the room. But it's good to hear that you're willing to make sacrifieces for your frogs well-being

Nationality
    [United States]

She has line-of-sight to the entire room, and I've caught her tracking the betta on the far side so I know she can see to where the snake is going. Yeah, I'm probably going overboard, but I like to keep my critters as happy as possible. Especially her, since she didn't exactly ask to be made into a pet. (She came in with the potted plants in the fall and by the time we found her it was too cold to just stick her outside again.)

Nationality
    [United States]

Good Precautions
    Always Do the Best You Can Do!
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Starter Colony Kits for Roaches, Crickets, Springtail & Isopods Cultures & More
    We Offer Friendlier Shipping Charges & NOW ALL ORDERS FREE SHIPPiNG over 175.00
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes - keep them out of line of sight at all times.

I've got their enclosures on the same wall where the snake is below the frog and they can't see each other. Which has been great. There's not been any problems except if I forget to scrub down after handling or cleaning the snake, and then go to change water for the frog. If the frog smells the snake she gets a bit wary for a while, but aside from that she's never shown any signs of stress.

Well, today I let the snake out to explore for a bit while I cleaned in the critter room. All of a sudden there is water splashing everywhere in the frog's enclosure and I turn around to see her frantically clawing at the screen lid with she has never done before. I didn't even think about it when I let the snake out- she saw the snake on the ground under her tank and completely panicked. She's okay, she only bumped her nose - which she does a lot chasing after crickets anyway - and as soon as I covered over her tank with a blanket she calmed right down.

From now on her tank will be covered before snake has any out of tank time, and we are planning on moving the frog out of there later this summer once her new tank is ready so that should permanently solve the problem.

Nationality
    [United States]

At one point I had a collection of frogs,snakes,tropical fish,lizards and salamanders all in the same room.as far as I could tell ,nothing seemed to bother anything,but I always box in the sides of tanks and I'm not one to handle my animals that much.back then though,we had different rules,for all I know as soon as I close the door I could have had one huge anxiety ridden half zoo,the sounds coming out of that room though we're really insane....

Nationality
    [United States]

I thought she had calmed down, but it's been 3 days and she still hasn't eaten. That girl is like clockwork when I put her mealworm cup in the tank and she'll sit in it for days waiting for more to "appear". Crickets don't last more then a few minutes. However, there has been no feeding response from her whatsoever, although she did finally go and sit in her usual spot on the branch sometime last night.

I moved the tank into the bathroom for a change of scenery to see if that might knock her out of whatever is going on. I'm concerned that she now sees the spot where it was as a dangerous location. I hope not, because the only two cat-free zones in the house is the room where she was in and the bathroom, and I don't want that to be permanent! Her enclosure is not claw proof and there's no way to make it so and leave her enough ventilation.

Thread Information