Thread: Found American Toad

ShadowFrogs

Default Found American Toad

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this forum but wanted to get some advice about this toad I found a few days ago. I think it is an American toad, a girl and since she is only an inch in size I'm guessing she is also rather young. I have her in a 5 gallon tank for now and plan to upgrade her to a 10 gallon tank in a couple of months. I put 4-6 inches of peat-moss in there for her to barrow into and a clay pot for shelter. I have fed her wax worms and pin head crickets.

I want everyone to meet Ms Piggy,
    Name:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  55.9 KB
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  49.0 KBMy husband surprised me with this photo yesterday night, its what prompted me to post here

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  132.9 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  122.3 KB I've made several improvements this past week such as placing a deeper water dish and adding rocks for traction. Im looking into growing some moss on the pot to have a real plant in there as well.

What do you think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Found American Toad

Looks great! Make sure you are using dechlorinated water and dusting food with calcium w/ D3 and a multi vitamin. Multi vitamin once a week calcium every other feeding. Don't use both on the same day. It's important for a growing toad

Also feed wax worms sparingly they are pretty fatty. Crickets are good, also try out some nightcrawlers (you can cut them into chunks a little shorter then the length of the frogs body, since they lack hard parts they can take down bigger pieces), and also there are a variety of roaches available
    Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

maxQ

Hes awesome, hello Ms Piggy and Shadowfrogs, great pictures and thanks for sharing, I want an American Toad so bad but I cant seem to locate any out my way.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF! Very nice toad you got there. First thing to do is read this care article that will help you get started the right way: Frog Forum - Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates .

A problem with using peat moss is the possibility it could have garden chemicals added. For that reason, recommend shredded coco (Plantation Soil or EcoEarth at pet shops) mixed with dechlorinated water (recommend Seachem Prime dechlorinator) until slightly damp and it clumps in fist but does not drip water out.

Crickets should be sized same as distance between frog eyes to avoid possible impaction. Here is a sample supplement dusting table that provides different schedules adjusted as frog/toad grows. Agree with Matt and should include Canadian Night Crawlers (not dyed at bait shops) as part of main diet. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information