Thread: Funky spot on my good buddy Rubeus. Any tips appreciated! :)

Jilly1430

Default Funky spot on my good buddy Rubeus. Any tips appreciated! :)

Hello Everyone,

I am brand new here. This is my very first post, I wish it was a happy one. I have had my new little buddy Rubeus for a week. He has not eaten in two days. His color is good, the tanks temp is appropriate 90ish gradient to 80ish (varying with my house temp) during the day and low 80s at night. The humidity is kept between 50 and 70. He has been handled once (for 5 minutes) but was cold to the touch. During the daytime I have a basking light, and at night a red night light (I live in a drafty old farm house so a night time heat lamp for all coldblooded buddies in my home is a necessity)
    During these two days that he is not eating he is loitering in one of the fake plants, at mid height in the tank. Tonight, I thought it would be good to check him out to make sure he was ok. He was rather jumpy (yay!) then he peed on me (which startled both of us!) I noticed this spot on him as well.... There are no herp vets in my area (I've looked) I can drive him out to a place about an hour and a half away, but I worry the travel will stress him out.

Any tips appreciated! He's my first frog.

MUCH THANKS!!!
    Name:  rubeus 2.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  69.1 KB If you look right above his arm, you will see a brownish red spot..... concerning?
    Name:  rubeus 3.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  112.4 KB I thought this was simply adorable and had to show off.
    Name:  rubeus 4.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  65.1 KB My little buddy just hanging around...
    Name:  rubeus 1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  105.2 KB Does his hind end look ok? Bloated? Full?

I did oodles of research before buying this little guy, and I have a very happy ball python so I thought an amphibian was totally something I could handle, but now I'm concerned.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Funky spot on my good buddy Rubeus. Any tips appreciated! :)

Hello and welcome to FF! WTFs require a day temperature of 85F. This excellent care article will cover all your frogs basic needs Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea . The small red area might be a scratch and you can treat that with plain Neosporin (no analgesics on it).

What worries me is not that; but the fact frog looks bloated, or hopefully it's just overweight. Wash hands well and rinse with dechlorinated water. Then touch frogs sides and the supraorbital ridge (fold above eye) and tell us what it feels like. If it gives and even moves as in waves away from finger, your frog is suffering from edema, probably from exposure to low temps for a long time. If it feels solid, then it's fat and just need to feed less frequently. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Jilly1430

Hello Carlos,

Thank you so much for responding to my post. I felt his supraorbitals, and they felt firm but did have some movement. Certainly not fluid like... (is that normal?) His tank temp is good, but he feels cool the touch, is that normal? I know they are cold blooded and I would have thought that he would have been warm in a warm environment.
    I took his picture posted above that shows a back view of him to the pet store that I bought him from. The woman who works there has been wonderful! She recommended we feed him some wax worms. I bought him a worm bowl and she gave me some worm samples. We talked about his eating schedule and his pooping schedule. We think he may be impacted. I have the waxworms in the bowl, he has no interest. I put a worm near him and he flicked it away. I'm leaving him be for the day, I hope that with a day of quiet (I"m going to be out of the house) he will eat the worms and poop. **FINGERS CROSSED**

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jilly1430 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I am brand new here. This is my very first post, I wish it was a happy one. I have had my new little buddy Rubeus for a week. He has not eaten in two days. His color is good, the tanks temp is appropriate 90ish gradient to 80ish (varying with my house temp) during the day and low 80s at night. The humidity is kept between 50 and 70. He has been handled once (for 5 minutes) but was cold to the touch. During the daytime I have a basking light, and at night a red night light (I live in a drafty old farm house so a night time heat lamp for all coldblooded buddies in my home is a necessity)
    During these two days that he is not eating he is loitering in one of the fake plants, at mid height in the tank. Tonight, I thought it would be good to check him out to make sure he was ok. He was rather jumpy (yay!) then he peed on me (which startled both of us!) I noticed this spot on him as well.... There are no herp vets in my area (I've looked) I can drive him out to a place about an hour and a half away, but I worry the travel will stress him out.

Any tips appreciated! He's my first frog.

MUCH THANKS!!!
    Name:  rubeus 2.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  69.1 KB If you look right above his arm, you will see a brownish red spot..... concerning?
    Name:  rubeus 3.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  112.4 KB I thought this was simply adorable and had to show off.
    Name:  rubeus 4.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  65.1 KB My little buddy just hanging around...
    Name:  rubeus 1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  105.2 KB Does his hind end look ok? Bloated? Full?

I did oodles of research before buying this little guy, and I have a very happy ball python so I thought an amphibian was totally something I could handle, but now I'm concerned.
    Great pictures! So adorable but does look a little bloated/cubby

I know that pet stores often over feed WTF so definitely some can be fat. I was just given a new guy from a pet store bc no one wanted him and he was overweight.

I am not an expert but if he is only a week old to his new home I know my first buddy took a week or two to adjust- (actually more like a month! But he was a shy guy) Ex. regular pooping, eating, climbing and calling.
    So that makes it harder to monitor normal behavior- the waxworms are a good idea for constipated bloat- but do have a HIGH FAT content so may make him bigger!!

What color was the spot? I think he is probably just dealing with the stress of a new environment and perhaps some constipation/overweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzino View Post
    Great pictures! So adorable but does look a little bloated/cubby

I know that pet stores often over feed WTF so definitely some can be fat. I was just given a new guy from a pet store bc no one wanted him and he was overweight.

I am not an expert but if he is only a week old to his new home I know my first buddy took a week or two to adjust- (actually more like a month! But he was a shy guy) Ex. regular pooping, eating, climbing and calling.
    So that makes it harder to monitor normal behavior- the waxworms are a good idea for constipated bloat- but do have a HIGH FAT content so may make him bigger!!

What color was the spot? I think he is probably just dealing with the stress of a new environment and perhaps some constipation/overweight.

On second look at the bloat- he is very round, treatment for edema is recommended

Thread Information