Thread: Tetracycline for bacterial infection.

Drag0nfly

Default Tetracycline for bacterial infection.

Hi, My 7 1/2 yr. old acf is still having swimming issues. (swims on his side, going around in circles at times, not staying upright at times.) And he still has a bulge on his left side. I thought it might be an internal bacterial infection and went to buy some Maracyn 2. The pet store doesn't have that any more and told me to use API T.C. Tetracycline. Now I am afraid to use it cause I don't want to kill my frog. Would it be safe to use this on him? I don't have access to a vet with acf knowledge so I am hoping someone out there can give me some advise. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tetracycline for bacterial infection.

Tetracycline has been used as home treatment for cases of Red Leg according to what I read. Unsure if successful or if same dosage as for fish or different concentration. If I had aquatic frog with known bacterial infection, would treat first with combo of Melafix and Pimafix as per bottle instructions. Add Melafix in morning and Pimafix in evening daily for one week and then re-evaluate frog. If at any time frog shows discomfort do a water change and discontinue treatment. Be aware Pimafix will wipe out any white worms in filter media and substrate which could lead to increased ammonia or nitrites.

If after a week frog shows improvement continue daily treatment for a total of 10-14 days. If no improvement; then maybe your frog's bloated condition is caused by parasites (flagellates or lungworms). Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information