Thread: A question for thumbnail owners

Default A question for thumbnail owners

It might be another 3-4 months before I decide on a thumbnail species and buy them, but until then I'm just researching each species so I can figure out which one to buy first.

I just thought of this question; it has to do with providing a water dish.

My Leucs and Azureus are always hanging out in their water dishes. Sometimes alone and other times there may be two or three of them. I use the shallow green ceramic type.

Do any of you provide a water dish for your thumbnails? Is it necessary? I ask this because I don't usually see a water dish in most thumbnail set-ups.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DartEd

Default Re: A question for thumbnail owners

I do not. The neoregelias and film cans hold a bit of water so I don't use a water dish. Theres larger ventilation screen in mythumbnail tank so i mist more often. How's your humidity in the leuc and tinc tanks? As long as humidity is high enough, a water dish isn't needed. I've never seen my leucs soaking. I wonder if the environment is a little more arid than they'd like.

My tincs are in aquariums with glass lids so the humidity is always high. The Leucs are in a 18x18x24 Exo Terra and both sections of the screen top are sealed off but there's still the gaps around the doors. I mist in the morning, noon, and several times in the evening. A lot of the humidity is dependent on the temperature. Right now in CenCal the weather is bouncing between the 80's and nineties and I haven't started using the air conditioning yet. There's not much natural moisture in the air in these parts...it's a dry heat.

Name:  100_3581.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  126.2 KBName:  100_3584.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  119.3 KB

By the way - How are my Arena Blanca tads doing? Did you ever get those Varibilis?

DartEd

They Arena Blanca's are doing great. The tads are starting to show some patterning. I wish I could speed up the clock and have them morph. Funny you mention the variabilis. I just contacted the breeder. He said another week or so they would be ready to ship. I'm so excited.

Those leucs look great. They're probably just soaking for the sake of it. Everyone likes a nice bath.

Just keep us posted. Variabilis has always been at the the top of my list of frogs to get next.

1. Variabilis(southern)
    2. Amazonicus
    3. R. imitator(Varadero)

DartEd

All excellent choices. I'm considering a pair of imitator chazuta next. Pictures don't do them justice. They're beautiful. Right now I have to slow down as I have 2 custom tanks coming and 6 darts coming as well. And the frogs are only partially paid for ATM.

I'm trying to take my time about deciding on my next species. I already have the two species that I always wanted, Azureus and Leucs, and I really want my next species to be a thumbnail and have good luck with them.

The thing with R. amazonicus it's not just the standard one, it's trying to decide on which population like, Blackwater, Iquitos, and now, Arena Blanca. There are a number of dart frogs with red on them, but it's that vivid red and the blue/black netting on the legs that makes Arena Blanca so striking.

Back when I first started with dart frogs I considered P. vittatus. I always liked the way they looked and they were one of the least expensive species, and yet you hardly ever read someone discussing them on the forums. I once read a long-time dart frogger say that they were a very underrated species.

DartEd

I agree that vittatus is an under appreciated frog in the hobby. I just secured myself another under appreciated frog in the hobby ameerega pepperi Abiseo. Beautiful frog, very bold, and very lovely call.

The blue reticulation on the legs of the arena blanca is what made me fall in love. I did lose a tadpole this morning but I have high hopes for the other three. An inexpensive and striking frog is the imitator varadero. Very similar to the Amazonica. The bonus is they're egg feeders so they'll raise their young.

Thread Information