Thread: Burrowed on a full stomach

Pyxiefan001

Default Burrowed on a full stomach

I'm sure this has been discussed countless times before but my adult (female) pyxie just completely buried herself, and she's gota good 6 inches of coir for this. She was up most of the day today but when I came back home tonight after a couple of hours she was gone, and all the way to the bottom based on the occasional squeaking sounds. I had lowered the temperature from 85 degrees to 79-81 since the evening was close, and humidity was between 75 and 80+%.

I know the most practical solution to this is to simply let frog stay under for as long as he/she/it wants to, but my main concern is should I really leave her alone for weeks (or however long she'll stay down) while she has a stomach full of food? Her last BM was on the 5th. She ate a big meal of 6 nightcrawlers (staple food, along with Dubias) on the 6th, and took 4 'crawlers dusted with D3 on the 9th. She didn't poop since, or at least I didn't see any, on the ground or in the water.

So even with a full stomach should I still let her be?

EDIT: Oh and whether or not it makes a difference, substrate was changed quite recently; on the 4th.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Burrowed on a full stomach

She will be fine. Just let her be and keep an eye on her.

Pyxiefan001

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    She will be fine. Just let her be and keep an eye on her.
    OK. Thanks. But. . .how I do keep an eye on her when she's. . .separated by 6 inches of substrate lol?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If frog just went for a relaxing underground rest while digesting, all should be well. If on the contrary the frog goes into aestivation with a full stomach (does not appears likely in your case) that could be bad. For the future, unless planning to aestivate frog; keeping substrate equal to frog's height allows it to borrow and also permits you to easily monitor frog. Keep temps up, humidity stable, and water in dish clean for next couple weeks. If frog is not out yet, maybe it's time to unbury and check, good luck .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

I keep mine with deep sub. When he went under, I just unearthed where he went down until I could just see the top of his body; it made it easy to see if he was ok without disturbing him all that much.

Thread Information