Thread: Will a female grey tree frog eat my male?

Tubby0512

Question Will a female grey tree frog eat my male?

I own a male Grey Tree Frog and I want to get a female Grey Tree Frog. The pet store I talked to said I can't put male or female together because the female will eat the male. I looked at the lady liked she had 2 heads. So I'm going to ask people on here who seems to know more about frogs than that crazy pet store lady I talked to. Will a female Grey Tree Frog eat my male or is that a bunch of ****? How big does a females get? My male is a little bit bigger than a US dollar coin. I haven't seen a female Grey Tree Frog yet but I plan on getting one. Will my make be eaten? I really don't want Tubby to become dinner.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Will a female grey tree frog eat my male?

They don't seem terribly picky about what they will try to eat. A moving target that they can manage to swallow seems to be the main criteria. I've spent many hours watching them in the wild though, and I've never seen one go after prey so large that they have to work at forcing it down. For what it's worth I've also never seen one eat anything that wasn't an insect.

However, I still wouldn't house two together if the size difference was drastic enough. An adult male and an adult female shouldn't be too far apart in size that cannibalism is a problem. Females can get to be over 2.25" long, but that's getting to be the high end of the scale.

Is there a reason you want to add a female?

Tubby0512

Yes I would like to breed them once I get a female. I did research and the website said 5 gallons per grey tree frog. So I was going to get 15 gallon tank and but them together.

I wouldn't keep two adults in a 15 gallon tank, that's just too small but opinions will obviously vary.

Tubby0512

Right now Tubby is in a 5 gallon tank and its big enough for him. He enjoys his tank. He has more than enough room to move around and hop around.

sc00by

yes your female will eat the male within two days unless it is mating time do not put females and males tog
    ether
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    They don't seem terribly picky about what they will try to eat. A moving target that they can manage to swallow seems to be the main criteria. I've spent many hours watching them in the wild though, and I've never seen one go after prey so large that they have to work at forcing it down. For what it's worth I've also never seen one eat anything that wasn't an insect.

However, I still wouldn't house two together if the size difference was drastic enough. An adult male and an adult female shouldn't be too far apart in size that cannibalism is a problem. Females can get to be over 2.25" long, but that's getting to be the high end of the scale.

Is there a reason you want to add a female?

Quote Originally Posted by sc00by View Post
    yes your female will eat the male within two days unless it is mating time do not put females and males tog
    ether
    Male and females can live together any time of the year. One not being small enough to be a meal for the other is the important consideration here (and a tank large enough to house multiple frogs).

9. This member thanks UncleChester for this post:

Thread Information