Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My toads are turning black!!!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: My toads are turning black!!!

I don't worry about them eating. They'll get it when they need it. Even my dominate male hasn't been seen grabbing a cricket for the last two or three feedings, which is over eight days. But I know he will when he wants one.

As far as them hiding and not getting any UVb. They probably are getting out, just not when you are looking. I assume that your viv is new as are your FBT's. So likely they are all a little skittish and just need time to get used to the new surroundings and new social order.

2. 2 members thank privet01 for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have had them for 4 to 6 weeks .. I had them in a 15 gallon I use to have fish in then I felt better to buy a new tank so I bought a new 10 gallon and changed that one around at least three times to suit them and myself then I decided to get a 20 gallon tall and change it completely with a lot of new things and have changed that one twice but the second time I changed that one I kept everything in it the same I didnt move anything around I mistakenly thought when you cleaned it once a week that meant emptying the whole thing out and cleaning it completely.. The only activness I see is the barking I cant see them but I can hear them the only one I see is my retarded from and sometimes one of my smaller ones but thats the most active I get out of them is the barking and thats cause the other fire bellies get close and they bark like get out of here this is my spot type a thing !

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Tonight, all six of mine are fairly dark. So many changes to the tank recently, who can tell why.

Jason would be best to tell you . I am still learning . I have one that is 4 years old that was given to me and I bought two more but only have had all three for about 6 weeks. When I received the 4 year old fire belly he was dark with a lime green splotch on his head he has shed twice since I have had him and he has never went back to the normal lime bright green ever ... I noticed with my other two if they sit in the water a really long time they darken up a bit ,but always seem to go back to the the lime green I only have one that has stayed really bright from the others thats how I tell them apart lol ..

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The water quality in my tank is improving as the bio filter kicks in. Today is a 25% water change day, yesterday I set my water pump return into 'rain mode', so it's been 'raining all night' for them.

This morning, all of my frogs are on the bright green side, some very bright. None dark.

Like a 'mood ring', these are mood frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    OK, Sherry has pretty much covered all possible problem areas; just want to go over couple things.

5. The days of aerating water for 24-48 hours to vent out chlorine went away when more stable chloramines were introduced. Also, as stated, there are heavy metals in water too. Need to get water conditioner and start using it now.

8. Are you gut loading crickets for couple days before feeding them to frogs? I use Repashy's Bug Burger for that.

9. CA X2, multivitamins X1 every week. Do not use on same day and alternate with plain feeding between. Again, I use the Repashy stuff.

18. Try to get some night crawlers or red worms (smaller) into that diet. Can use ones from bait shops, Walmart, etc. as long as they are free of additives like dyes. Remember to cut worm into smaller pieces. If one worm is too much for your 2 frogs can cut rear half (pointy end) and feed that first. Worm will heal; so just feed the other half next time.

19 & 21. With current routine you are wiping out your beneficial Ammonia/Nitrite reducing bacteria once a week during tank cleaning. There is possibility your frogs are exposed to both toxic elements; use de-chlorinated water for wiping tank stuff and cleaning. Good luck !
    lucky you I have never had them eat worms as much as I have offered picky little stinkers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information