Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cornuta Temperature

Christian

Default Cornuta Temperature

Hi All,
    This is my first post. I have been keeping herps for at least 25 years and would consider myself fairly experienced with quite a few different species. I have raised C Ornata and P Adspersus before and kept other amphibians long term. A friend of mine has had a C Cornuta for about three months which has been doing well with him. He believes it is captive bred originally. I acquired this great frog from him last week (late Thursday night). I am pretty sure that I have all parameters right, substrate etc. I am concerned about the temp's though. I am concerned though as he has not fed yet and seems a bit thinner than when i picked him up. I have been putting crickets in which he is ignoring.
    I have tried to have a range of 78-79 F top temp down to about 74F at the cool end. He is down at the cool end at the moment? My friend was keeping him in a herp room which was heated to 78F during the day and 74F at night.
    • Should I turn the temp up? How cool should the coolest part be?
    • Should I soak him?
    • Should I just keep trying the crickets offered in the tank or should I get him out and try offering food on tongs?

Thanks for your help.
    Christian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ornate510

Default Re: Cornuta Temperature

Soak him in dechlorinated water. Temp should be 82° and take out food that hasnt been eaten. Try leaving him alone for a day after soaking. And then put 1 appropriate size cricket and leave ovetnight.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

you should keep him at 80-82 ( day), 76-78 ( night), your temps are too low.

and welcome to the forum!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by ornate510 View Post
    Soak him in dechlorinated water. Temp should be 82° and take out food that hasnt been eaten. Try leaving him alone for a day after soaking. And then put 1 appropriate size cricket and leave ovetnight.
    I would advice against the soaks as of now, while they're are very useful, newly acquired frog needs as less stress as possible. so before you do anything
    Christian, please answer to questions in the trouble in the enclosure thread and repost them here, so we can help you.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

What is the humidity level? Cornuta need high humidity.

ornate510

Im sorry i have failed you.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ornate510 View Post
    Im sorry i have failed you.
    Haha, we still like you
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to the forum. Get the temps up as Lija has listed, keep the humidity up at 80%, cover the back and two sides of his home to make him feel secure, place a cave or plant to hide under, and keep him in a quiet room.

The increase in heat is necessary for their digestion and stimulates their metabolism, making them hungry. The moisture is necessary at that level to prevent dehydration.

Try to feed him each night. Only put in one cricket at a time. If he is burrowed, only uncover his head to eat. Remove all uneaten crickets after his feeding because crickets not only bite, but will lay eggs in his substrate.

He is adjusting to his new home, which is stressful.

Keep us posted. Congrats on your new addition .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

This is the post used for us to be able to help you more.

Please answer these questions, and please number the answers. Thanks.

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences

3. Humidity

4. Temperature

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish

6. Materials used for substrate

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.

- How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.

8. Main food source

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)

10. Lighting

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure

12. When is the last time he/she ate

13. Have you found poop lately

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)

15. How old is the frog

16. How long have you owned him/her

17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred

18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats

19. How often the frog is handled

20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area

21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

(by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.)
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

C. cornuta like a little higher humidity than the other species due to where they're originally from. 80% is good, but they like around 85%.

Answer the questions Heather has posted for you.

Christian

1. Size of enclosure 18" x 12" x 12"
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences 1 cornuta
    3. Humidity Misting heavily 2-3 times per day.
    4. Temperature now turned up to low 80's with a slight drop at one end to 78.
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish rainwater or RO water.
    6. Materials used for substrate compost and some sand for drainage
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. Good depth of leaf litter, a hide area and shallow water bowl of a good size.
    8. Main food source I have been told that this frog has been feeding on crickets and earthworms - it passed a large poo today which had cricket parts in.
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) each feed.
    10. Lighting None at present just ambient room light.
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure i have a heat mat across the whole of the back of the enclosure. This does not et the temps up enough so i have a heat plate across 80% of the top of the enclosure.
    12. When is the last time he/she ate I have had him since last Thursday. I am pretty sure that he has not eaten since then.
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog Approx 18 months.
    16. How long have you owned him/her 6 days.
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred CB.
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled Never
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area Low traffic with a visual shiels across front at present.
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) Water bowl cleaned and refreshed every 2-3 days.

The frog hopped into it's bowl today when I was moving something in the cage. I left him and he had a good soak (rainwater). He did a poo whilst in there. He then moved himself and buried in a bit near the hide. The temperatures are way up now. Where he is sat is about 82 whereas this morning he was sat in an area that was about 73! I have put a couple of crickets in tonight and am hoping that he will show some interest.
    Thanks for your replies and help. I will post a photo later.
    Christian

ornate510

Yay you guys still like me!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

If you leave the crickets in the viv, add a chunk of carrot or apple or similar to the viv so if the crickets get Peckish at night they eat on them and not the frog

Christian

Hi Dan,
    I have done so already. Your Cornuta is stunning! Name:  IMG_3655.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  114.6 KB This is the male I acquired last week. He is not too skinny, but I would like to get some weight on him like yours! Here's hoping!
    Christian

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok Rain water and RO water are bad for the frog. Rain water can have pollutants and is the same as RO water until it comes into contact with the ground. Both RO and Rain water cantain no mineral or salt content and will actually leach nutrients, electrolytes, vitamins, and salts from the frog. Use either tap water treated with a de-chlorinating agent/water conditioner or natural spring water. RO is fine for misting as is distilled water, but rain water is a big NO.

Do you have a Hygrometer(humidity gauge)? Misting heavily doesn't tell you what level the humidity is at in the enclosure although for a period of time it will be high. You can cover 3/4 of the screen top with plastic wrap to hold heat and humidity in.

Compost can be bad if it contains any fertilizers or chemicals. You need Eco Earth Coconut Fiber substrate. I would get some ASAP and switch out the compost. Plus if you used the rain water or RO water to moisten the substrate it will need to be replaced.

Definitely need to see pics of the enclosure.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Thanks mate. Yours is a looker too! I've seen worse, weight wise. Sure it'll be fine. Mine gets fed two to three times a week now as its full grown and I don't want it getting obese so it gets a mixture of lobworms, small mice, the Japanese pacman diet and hoppers. I dust everything( bar the pacman food) with repashy calcium plus too. Seems to be working for it so far!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bristow View Post
    Thanks mate. Yours is a looker too! I've seen worse, weight wise. Sure it'll be fine. Mine gets fed two to three times a week now as its full grown and I don't want it getting obese so it gets a mixture of lobworms, small mice, the Japanese pacman diet and hoppers. I dust everything( bar the pacman food) with repashy calcium plus too. Seems to be working for it so far!!
    Just so you know rodents are very high in fat so if you aren't wanting your Cornuta to be obese then feed the rodents sparingly. offer Dubia Roaches, Dew worms/Rain Worms(Earthworms). They are a far more nutritious and very low fat food for your frog.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Just so you know rodents are very high in fat so if you aren't wanting your Cornuta to be obese then feed the rodents sparingly. offer Dubia Roaches, Dew worms/Rain Worms(Earthworms). They are a far more nutritious and very low fat food for your frog.
    Thanks for the advice. I give it a fluff mouse or small mouse once a month that's all.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bristow View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I give it a fluff mouse or small mouse once a month that's all.
    Very good. That is just fine

Christian

Hi Colleen/Jerrod,
    I will see if I can get some eco earth tomorrow. I will try and take a photo of the tank tomorrow. I have a lot of leaves in there. I may try and simplify things a bit - but want to minimise stress. I must admit, I didnt realise rainwater was that bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information