Thread: Breeding Nightcrawlers For My Pacman

Rokitman

Default Breeding Nightcrawlers For My Pacman

My son bought me a small Pacman ~ Heisenburg ~ for father's day last year. About the size of a half dollar than. Now about the size of an orange. I've been feeding him crickets and nightcrawlers and the occasional cockroach I usually feed him a worm in the morning and one in the evening. I was wondering if it would be more economical to start breeding nightcrawlers. I think I read somewhere that it can take 6 to 8 weeks for a nightcrawler to get to full size. Would it be less costly to breed them instead of buying them at the pet store? And if so, How many would I need to maintain a steady supply for my Pacman?

I haven't been able to find any real resources online about breeding nightcrawlers as it pertains to feeding Pacs. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanx in advance,
    - Dean -
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Maharg

Default Re: Breeding Nightcrawlers For My Pacman

I share your curiosity dean. I'm starting right now actually. Just kind of winging it with a large rubbermaid tub, 500 worms and a heated garage. I'm most worried about maintaining soil Ph, but aside from that I think it's pretty easy. And they don't most of the work lol.

Btw awesome breaking bad reference for the name I assume lol.

Edit: Now I see the cap on the frog haha. Definitely a breaking bad reference. So cool.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Here is a care sheet for raising nightcrawlers. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Hae-zOVxAkCJxg

Rokitman

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    Just kind of winging it with a large rubbermaid tub, 500 worms and a heated garage. I'm most worried about maintaining soil Ph, but aside from that I think it's pretty easy. Now I see the cap on the frog haha. Definitely a breaking bad reference. So cool.
    Thanx Graham. Yup, my son and I are huge BB fans. And My Pac has the same thousand mile stare as Walt. But they really don't like wearing hats that much.

You have 500 worms? You must have more than one frog. That seems like a lot for a single animal. I'm hoping I can get by with less. I'm using coconut fiber for the Pacs substrate. Can I use the same for the worms? And how important is it that I keep them chilled? I'm thinking enough worms to keep a steady supply would probably not fit in the fridge. Gotta have room for the beer, you know.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Dean one of his frogs ( toad actually) would eat them all in 3 weeks if he'll let her, Graham am i right? or it would last less?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Maharg

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Dean one of his frogs ( toad actually) would eat them all in 3 weeks if he'll let her, Graham am i right? or it would last less?
    That's correct lol. My Rococo rips through 500 worms in about 3 Weeks. Now with the addition of my Pixie, and my rapidly growing Ornate and Fantasy, I would be lucky to get 2 Weeks out of 500 worms. And that's with occasional mice, fish and hornworms supplemented in between.

For breeding, just use regular potting soil without chemicals. And store it in the basement. As long as the worms don't heat up past about 16 celsius they should live and breed happily. If you only are feeding one frog, I wouldn't go to the effort personally.

Rokitman

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    That's correct lol. My Rococo rips through 500 worms in about 3 Weeks. Now with the addition of my Pixie, and my rapidly growing Ornate and Fantasy, I would be lucky to get 2 Weeks out of 500 worms. And that's with occasional mice, fish and hornworms supplemented in between.

For breeding, just use regular potting soil without chemicals. And store it in the basement. As long as the worms don't heat up past about 16 celsius they should live and breed happily. If you only are feeding one frog, I wouldn't go to the effort personally.
    GOOD GOD!! 500 worms in 3 weeks? I'm beginning to feel like I'm starving my Paccy to death. This is my first Pacman I'm caring for now. I hope I'm doing it right. He seems fat and happy, but I want to make sure he's getting all the food ~ and nutrients ~ he needs. So you don't think it would save me any money in the long term by breeding nightcrawlers? Those things can get expensive by the dozen. I thought about raising dubia cockroaches. But being married to someone who despises creepy crawly things, that wouldn't fly at all.

Nationality
    [United States]

Women get over the roaches =p if you want to try finding someone local to purchase bulk nightcrawlers from, find a live bait vending machine and they usually have the number of someone local who fills those machines on it.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Dean, really get pacman food and buy nightcrawlers, your other half will be happy and your frog too, for one frog breeding roaches or anything just doesn't make sense, too much effort and space and then you will get stuck with a lot of roaches/worms that your frog just won't be able to eat.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post
    Women get over the roaches .

I LOVE roaches, especially those huge tropical ones

Maharg

Madagascar hissing roaches are awesome. Animal house in okotoks used to carry them. I bought one as a pet but have never seen them restock since I bought it. Maybe they were reminded that theyre illegal lol. I should have bought a bunch and started breeding them.
    Anyway Dean, yes I go through a lot of Crawlers. Your likely not starving your Pacman. Rococo Toads have about 20 times the appetite of even Pacman frogs.

Thread Information