Thread: New to fire bellied toads

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New to fire bellied toads

I posted this in the introduction thread without realizing this section is here and I feel that this post belongs here moreso than there ^^; so feel free to delete my other thread lol.

Hey everyone. I'm joining sites like this to educate myself on the care of fire bellied toads. I'll be purchasing one once I feel confident I can care for it properly . Any tips such as list of items required in owning one etc would be great.

I already have a 10 gallon aquarium which I'm going to get a screen to cover. I used it for fish and I worry they can escape through the filter hole.

I've also learned that gravel is a bad idea so what would you recommend? I really would prefer to use only one substrate and then use a large rock or log as the "land" however the comfort of my new buddy is more important so I will do whatever you feel is best.

Also is it true that they get sad if they are alone? I was really only wanting to purchase one but if I have to I will get two.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FinnyBird

Default Re: New to fire bellied toads

Where is the filter hole? The screen, the plastic cover...?

Gravel isn't a good idea for two reasons -- it's rough and can potentially scratch your frogs bellies/feet, and while grabbing crickets they may swallow it. However, if you get the large river rock pebbles that is too big to swallow, that would be fine. In addition to that, you'll want a hiding spot with some sort of burrowing substrate, such as sphagnum moss. It's fairly cheap. Personally, in mine (which is really fancy, so don't feel bad when I give my examples and you can't spoil yours to the extent I can), I got one of these:

Then I took a flat piece of rock and placed it over 2/3rds of it and filled it with sphagnum moss. The toads love it -- it gives them the burrowing and hiding spot they need, and the moss doesn't get all over in the water and such. It's the best system I've come up with so far, as it's easy to clean, too. I also have lots of real/fake plants which they like to hide under and crawl on top of. Keep in mind when getting fake plants that the leaves are not small; if a cricket is perched on one and your frog goes to grab it and the leaf breaks off, the plastic doesn't exactly agree with their stomach. Also make sure it isn't a wire plant, because if the leaf is pulled off you get a nice pointy metal thing to stab your toads.

Fire-bellied toads are social herpentiles, yes. Two is the least and a ten gallon tank should work for just two. However, if you want more, you'd probably be best getting a larger tank.

The care sheet provided on the site ( Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives ) is fairly good, despite the hiccup in housing -- I highly disagree with their piece of advice that a ten gallon tank can hold six toads. I own seven of them, and I would never imagine even putting four in a ten gallon. Go ahead and check that out. Any question you have, you can ask me and I'll do my best to answer. This section of the forum isn't exactly active.

Nationality
    [United States]

The filter hole is on the plastic cover/lighting hood for the fish. The most I'm going to get is 2. I'm really wanting to get 2 males (i've always preferred males in all animals, lol sorry girls)

FrogNoobie659

I joined this site to learn about Fire Belly Toads too, I have done so much re search that I know everything to know about them now. I am getting some in September or November. Good Luck!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

FinnyBird's suggestions are good. Two are fine in a 10 gallon tank. I have 6 in a 20 gallon, but I'm thinking of moving them up to a 40 gallon. I have a 60/40 split of land/water. They love to soak, I find them in the pools of my waterfall. I use plants and terracotta pots laid on their sides for hides and lots of moss. They are great entertainment at feeding time, watching them chase after the crickets and worms. Post pictures when you get your toads.
    Karen from Montana
    The Reasons that I have to Work:
    1.2.0 - Equine - Butter Baby, Freedom
    0.1.0 - Feline - Cassie
    3.1.0 - Canine - 1 Min Schnauzer, AJ
    1 Lhasa Apso/Poodle X, DaniLyn
    2 Giant Schnauzers, Trucker & Trooper
    0.0.4 - Axolotls - Hewey, Lewey & Dewey, Angel & Fire
    0.1.0 - Hermann's Tortoise - Ari
    0.0.3 - Bufo Boreals - Wynken, Blynken, and Nod
    1.0.0 - Humanus Maritus - Ron

Thread Information