Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grey Tree Frogs | Shedding, Time for a Diet, and More :P

InfinitysDaughter

Default Re: Grey Tree Frogs | Shedding, Time for a Diet, and More :P

Well, maybe I'll try next year. Is it true that you can tell a grays sex by the lightness or darkness of its belly? And are there any ways to tell which are boys and which are girls when there little? And how large a viv would I be looking at to keep a good number of them happy? I had Percy and Helly in a 12x12x12 zoo med but I'm starting to think that its not gona be big enough to keep several adult pairs along with Percy...

(and now I feel like I'm hijacking your thread. if so, beat me with a stick and i'll slink away X3)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by InfinitysDaughter View Post
    Well, maybe I'll try next year. Is it true that you can tell a grays sex by the lightness or darkness of its belly? And are there any ways to tell which are boys and which are girls when there little? And how large a viv would I be looking at to keep a good number of them happy? I had Percy and Helly in a 12x12x12 zoo med but I'm starting to think that its not gona be big enough to keep several adult pairs along with Percy...

(and now I feel like I'm hijacking your thread. if so, beat me with a stick and i'll slink away X3)
    When they're breeding age, a female will be a good deal larger than a male, and male will have a dark colored throat. Not sure about babies.
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

KingCam

Is it true that you can tell a grays sex by the lightness or darkness of its belly? And are there any ways to tell which are boys and which are girls when there little?
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyM View Post
    When they're breeding age, a female will be a good deal larger than a male, and male will have a dark colored throat. Not sure about babies.
    Becky is correct, the males are smaller and their throats, not their bellies, will turn dark grey or even black. As far as sexing juvenile frogs, you'd probably have to consult an expert, I don't know of any way to tell.

And how large a viv would I be looking at to keep a good number of them happy? I had Percy and Helly in a 12x12x12 zoo med but I'm starting to think that its not gona be big enough to keep several adult pairs along with Percy...
    I don't think there is a set rule for size of enclosure. Even a big enclosure will be inadequate if there aren't enough hiding places and things to explore. I like to pay attention to all of my frogs' favorite spots, and I kinda keep a count of them. There are about 30 different places in my tank that my frogs love to hang out, this tells me they have plenty of room with 5 of them being in there. I also just watch how quickly their living area gets soiled. If you notice it's constantly dirty you probably have too many frogs in one area.

hahaha, don't worry about it! I'm notorious for hijacking threads. Besides, this one really didn't have a point to it, so hijack away XD

Nationality
    [United States]

12 x 12 x 12 sounds way to small. I have 3 in the 18 x 18 x 24 and some times that seems to small. Standard rule is 10 gal per frog.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    FYI:
    Group of frogs is an army. Group of toads is a knot. ;o) But I know what you mean. They raise their heads and give you that "look" and you know they are about to launch. At that poine I ever so gently push their heads down. Frog disciple has to be put into place or they will attempt to take over the household.
    I will remember the dicipline, my mantids learn too early my face is their personal playground! Its call facehugging. Do your frogs hug your face?

Nationality
    [United States]

Not if I can help it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkmoth View Post
    I will remember the dicipline, my mantids learn too early my face is their personal playground! Its call facehugging. Do your frogs hug your face?

Gentlemangorath

12 x 12 x 12 sounds way to small. I have 3 in the 18 x 18 x 24 and some times that seems to small. Standard rule is 10 gal per frog.
    I feel like perhaps they meant to say 12x12x18 for the mini-tall, rather than that which, yeah, doesn't sound suited for tree frogs. This whole topic and all the pictures make me excited for when my little guys are all grown up. I'm actually probably going to be moving one of my little guys into their big tank as soon as I get all the supplies I need shipped to me ^_^.

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by Silkmoth View Post
    I am no stranger to the art of facehugging.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I have a question about setting up a grays home. I see that sikicne is used to glue things in place in thier home. I dont have that but I do have a hot glue gun. My mantids are not poisoned or sickened by it, would a grey?
    I am thinking of glueing fake flowers in the terrarium. I always carefully wash the cloth flowers and leaves before I use them.

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't know about the glue, since you'll have to rip them out to do a good cleaning. I would go with sucking cups instead.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I don't know about the glue, since you'll have to rip them out to do a good cleaning. I would go with sucking cups instead.
    Great idea! Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information