Thread: DIY glass terrarium help needed

JSchaeflein

Default DIY glass terrarium help needed

I'm thinking of constructing my own terrarium. I've built a screen terrarium for a chameleon and am thinking of doing the same for tree frogs.

My issue... what would be the best material to use to connect the pieces of glass? I work at pet smart and am thinking of using their small animal enclosure designed as a base. They have pieces of plastic that the plexi sides slide into to make corners. Does anyone know where I can buy pieces of plastic cut out to make it easy to slide the glass sides into or how to make such a piece?

If anyone has a better idea for making a terrarium please help. I am basically thinking of mimicking an exo terra terrarium with front opening door.

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: DIY glass terrarium help needed

Quote Originally Posted by JSchaeflein View Post
    My issue... what would be the best material to use to connect the pieces of glass?
    I use plain old aquarium silicone. I have pics of a couple of mine: UncleChester's Album: Vivariums One of them has a front door that opens downwards made using a piano hinge (attached with silicone). I've just finished a 29 gallon with a similarly constructed front entrance but haven't put pics up yet.

Here's a link to awesomely detailed plans for a Euro-style vivarium: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...step-step.html If I can get around to finding E channels, my next ones will have sliding front doors like this design. I'm not sure I'd do the lower vent the same way, and I'll definitely have more ventilation on top (mine are for treefrogs). I also inset the bottom panel 1 or 2 mm up so it's not resting resting on the ground.

JSchaeflein

Default Re: DIY glass terrarium help needed

Thanks for the links. I was searching for hours trying to find something similar to that.

I too would like to build a cage for tree frogs.

Thread Information