Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone got grumpy while his tank was being cleaned.

nlopez

Default Someone got grumpy while his tank was being cleaned.

Name:  nugget7.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  45.4 KB
    Name:  nugget6.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  45.3 KB
    Name:  nugget5.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  36.3 KB
    Name:  nugget4.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  41.6 KB
    Name:  nugget3.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  33.5 KB
    Name:  nugget1.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  36.5 KB
    Name:  nugget2.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  39.8 KB
    that's when he turned away from me because he was being a grump.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Flumper

Default Re: Someone got grumpy while his tank was being cleaned.

he looks pretty big! how old is he?

nlopez

Quote Originally Posted by Flumper View Post
    he looks pretty big! how old is he?
    I wish I knew. He was a gift, I got him in December. At that time though he was definitely too big to be a baby. Can anyone guess by his size? I've actually been wondering.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by nlopez View Post
    I wish I knew. He was a gift, I got him in December. At that time though he was definitely too big to be a baby. Can anyone guess by his size? I've actually been wondering.
    Measure him with a cloth tape measure. The kind for fabrics. You can also lay a ruler next to him. Measure hime from the tip of his snout to his vent and post how large he is. Age can be guessed by size depending on whether he is actually male or female.

Nationality
    [United States]

Nice frog
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

nlopez

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Measure him with a cloth tape measure. The kind for fabrics. You can also lay a ruler next to him. Measure hime from the tip of his snout to his vent and post how large he is. Age can be guessed by size depending on whether he is actually male or female.
    I won't be able to measure him until I get a tape measurer or ruler, so maybe next week

nlopez

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Nice frog
    Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

You're welcome
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

I won't be able to measure him until I get a tape measurer or ruler, so maybe next week
    Good deal. Post you measuring him when you get what you need. He looks very healthy.

nlopez

Good deal. Post you measuring him when you get what you need. He looks very healthy.
    Woohoo! I was so excited to measure Nugget. I finally got to, and he is about 2.5 inches snout to vent.

Also, I was quite upset, my mom got to see him shed this weekend and I MISSED IT! I was so upset, but mostly jealous.

Oh, and I'm not actually sure he is a he. haha

Nationality
    [United States]

Woohoo! I was so excited to measure Nugget. I finally got to, and he is about 2.5 inches snout to vent.

Also, I was quite upset, my mom got to see him shed this weekend and I MISSED IT! I was so upset, but mostly jealous.

Oh, and I'm not actually sure he is a he. haha
    2.5 inches could be around 4.5 to 5.5 months old. If he is a she then she will grow much larger. If she is a he than he only has about 1 to 1.5 inches to go before he reaches near max length.

Don't worry. When he hits a growth spurt he will shed every other day to every couple days.

nlopez

Hey guys, I took some new photos because I could not believe how incredibly green Nugget looked after his shed!

Name:  froggy3.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  65.2 KB
    Name:  froggy2.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  76.5 KB(a little puffed with air here since he got grumpy with me haha)
    Name:  froggy.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  73.2 KB

Also wanted to know if anyone knew which species he was? I am getting a little better at guessing them, but I'm still not great. I did see the small spots behind his eyes, but I leave it to you pros to tell me which he is

nlopez

2.5 inches could be around 4.5 to 5.5 months old. If he is a she then she will grow much larger. If she is a he than he only has about 1 to 1.5 inches to go before he reaches near max length.

Don't worry. When he hits a growth spurt he will shed every other day to every couple days.
    WOW! I didn't know he was that young! Here I had been thinking I had a frog much older- shows how much I know. Anyway, I'm glad I've been feeding every night then, because I know younger frogs need to eat more often.

Any way to tell for sure if he is a he or a she? I would look for nuptial pads but now I see its probably too early, and also Nugget is not too fond of my fingers anywhere near him.

Nationality
    [United States]

Nugget is a Green Ceratophrys Ornata(Ornate). I can see his false eye spots on the back of each eyelid. I believe he is a he. Looks to be anyway, but can't be totally certain. He looks great.

Nationality
    [United States]

WOW! I didn't know he was that young! Here I had been thinking I had a frog much older- shows how much I know. Anyway, I'm glad I've been feeding every night then, because I know younger frogs need to eat more often.

Any way to tell for sure if he is a he or a she? I would look for nuptial pads but now I see its probably too early, and also Nugget is not too fond of my fingers anywhere near him.
    You can feed him everyother day if you like. He should be old enough so that you can cut back a little on feeding now. It is ok to offer him food everyday, but he could have small meals every night or a little more everyother night.

nlopez

Nugget is a Green Ceratophrys Ornata(Ornate). I can see his false eye spots on the back of each eyelid. I believe he is a he. Looks to be anyway, but can't be totally certain. He looks great.
    Yay! I feel so proud because I noticed the false eye spots (from the thread about everyone finding Ornates at Petsmart stores). I had originally guessed he was a he because his snout was a bit flatter, and apparently boy frogs also have heavier spotting on the neck? Not sure how true these are since I read them elsewhere.

I am still feeding two crickets a night, and he has never refused any amount of food, even if it's more than that once in a while. Think I should stick to routine? Maybe more food, less often? This is my first pacman, so I'm still learning everyday.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yay! I feel so proud because I noticed the false eye spots (from the thread about everyone finding Ornates at Petsmart stores). I had originally guessed he was a he because his snout was a bit flatter, and apparently boy frogs also have heavier spotting on the neck? Not sure how true these are since I read them elsewhere.

I am still feeding two crickets a night, and he has never refused any amount of food, even if it's more than that once in a while. Think I should stick to routine? Maybe more food, less often? This is my first pacman, so I'm still learning everyday.
    You can start feeding him more. Even everyday. Try night crawlers. Cut them in appropriate sizes. About an inch. Very nutritious for Pacmans.

nlopez

You can start feeding him more. Even everyday. Try night crawlers. Cut them in appropriate sizes. About an inch. Very nutritious for Pacmans.
    Are nightcrawlers the same as earthworms? And also, will they live after I cut them? I've been a bit cautious to switch to something else since I have only just gotten myself into a good cricket rhythm (care, feeding them to Nugget, etc). I'm worried that he won't be too keen on eating from tongs either (I tried once and it was a no-go), and don't want him eating substrate, but moving him to a feeding tank would not work as he is not a big fan of me touching him at all. :/

Nationality
    [United States]

Are nightcrawlers the same as earthworms? And also, will they live after I cut them? I've been a bit cautious to switch to something else since I have only just gotten myself into a good cricket rhythm (care, feeding them to Nugget, etc). I'm worried that he won't be too keen on eating from tongs either (I tried once and it was a no-go), and don't want him eating substrate, but moving him to a feeding tank would not work as he is not a big fan of me touching him at all. :/
    Yes night crawlers are earth worms only they get a lot larger than normal earth worms. They can reginerate as lon as they are not split longways. Start at the tail and cut pieces off. I switch to a new worm every time I cut a piece off. The tail is a liter color than the head so you will be able to tell the difference. You won't have to feed the worms and they live for a long time when kept in the fridge. No risk of contaninating food because the worms are sealed in a tub. Make sure that the worms don't contain dyes or chemicals. Check to make sure the worms are good too. They should not smell bad/have mold in the tub/ or be dead. You can easily tell healthy worms.

It is best that he does not ingest substrate, but a little won't hurt. Make sure you clean off any of the dirt that the worms are housed in off before offering each piece to Nugget. He may try them on his own. Just cut a 1 inch piece off and set it or drop it in front of him. You can dust the worm pieces by sprinckling a little on a paper towel and rub the worm piece in the dust them offer it to him.

Worms are very nutritious and can even be used as a staple diet.

nlopez

Yes night crawlers are earth worms only they get a lot larger than normal earth worms. They can reginerate as lon as they are not split longways. Start at the tail and cut pieces off. I switch to a new worm every time I cut a piece off. The tail is a liter color than the head so you will be able to tell the difference. You won't have to feed the worms and they live for a long time when kept in the fridge. No risk of contaninating food because the worms are sealed in a tub. Make sure that the worms don't contain dyes or chemicals. Check to make sure the worms are good too. They should not smell bad/have mold in the tub/ or be dead. You can easily tell healthy worms.

It is best that he does not ingest substrate, but a little won't hurt. Make sure you clean off any of the dirt that the worms are housed in off before offering each piece to Nugget. He may try them on his own. Just cut a 1 inch piece off and set it or drop it in front of him. You can dust the worm pieces by sprinckling a little on a paper towel and rub the worm piece in the dust them offer it to him.

Worms are very nutritious and can even be used as a staple diet.
    Awesome. I actually have a fridge in my room that has some froggy stuff in it already. I think my mom might freak out if there were worms in the fridge downstairs where we keep our food lol. How many one inch pieces should I feed him at a time at his age? I am actually making a trip to Petsmart sometime this week so I think I'll try some out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information