Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: African Clawed Frogs Being Dyed?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: African Clawed Frogs Being Dyed?

I once was going to buy a ACF, it was a reticulated albino, but they had the frog under a purple light so I did not notice it was dyed until he was removed from the tank. I told the shop owner I was not interested in dyed frogs.

I'm glad that, if this is true, that dyed ACF are not harmed however I still would not want a dyed frog, I like my pets in their natural coloration.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi,

I am kind of relieved that there seem to be dying methods that arenīt that harmful. But I still donīt understand why people would like to buy dyed animals at all- in my opinion, keepers should be interested in watching the natural behaviour of their pets rather than collecting fancy-coloured, but highly unnatural specimen.
    Amphibians kept:
    9.10.3 Hymenochirus boettgeri
    2.4.0 Xenopus laevis
    0.1.0 Hypselotriton orientalis
    3.0.0 Hyloxalus azureiventris
    4.1.0 Pipa parva
    2.1.2 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    2.2.0 Bombina orientalis

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Felis View Post
    Hi,

I am kind of relieved that there seem to be dying methods that arenīt that harmful. But I still donīt understand why people would like to buy dyed animals at all- in my opinion, keepers should be interested in watching the natural behaviour of their pets rather than collecting fancy-coloured, but highly unnatural specimen.
    I would imagine these frogs become impulse buys by parents for small children who are not capable of caring for the animal thus left to an adult who has little interest in caring for the frog themselves. I would imagine most dyed frogs don't live long healthy lives.

100+ Post Member
    Member needs to set country!

true with fish it shortens their life and the same happens with frogs. any animals in fact i wish that was out lawed. hmmmm..... what if we protested it?and felis it does hurt the frog.sad its a sad world we live in

Quote Originally Posted by Felis View Post
    Hi,

it's all about trends and making money. everybody wants different and unusual. that's why there are so many cross breeds in dogs. why do we keep dart frogs? because of the pretty colors. it's sad that they dye these frogs, and that they genetically modify fish to glow, but unfortunately, that is capitalism all you can really do is decide personally if you want to spend your hard earned money at a particular store. but to expect them to stop selling them because you protest is kind of naive. look at it from the shop owner's perspective, whether you feel it is right or wrong, but if he/she can sell hundreds or more of those frogs, compared to how much you spend in his shop, you'll lose every time.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Hi,

this makes sense. Too bad for the frogs (and fish, of course)- I am glad that such manipulations are heavily restricted in Germany. But there are still many sellers here who donīt care for the animalsīwell-being as well.
    Amphibians kept:
    2.4.0 Xenopus laevis
    4.1.0 Pipa parva
    2.1.2 Bombina orientalis
    2.2.0 Bombina orientalis

Default African Clawed Frogs Being Dyed?

Sadly, as long as there are pet stores, there will always be substandard ones. But remember, a pet shop owner, regardless of it being a large chain store or a small independent store, has to play the balancing act of showing the animal so it is retail appealing, allowing easy access for removal, and planning for fast turnover. I don't necessarily think it's not that they don't care, but they aren't permanent inhabitants, so they have to make some tough decisions that leave some aspects of their care left out. It can't be easy trying to balance retail sales, especially with purists, like us who like to point out their shortcomings. I am fortunate enough to have a local shop who really tries to balance everything well, but they do have some shortcomings and is always trying to improve things.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Hi,

very true. Every shopowner/ employee has to pay bills just as everyone else. Some try to find a balance between profit and ethics, but others donīt- thatīs what make me sick.
    Itīs always difficult to maximize animal protection without risking business failure, but I still think that this should be a main goal when dealing with living creatures. The ones who at least try to give competent advice show that this isnīt impossible. Luckily, most of the shops in my area do so- but there are some that really only want to sell no matter what, so I have to conclude that those few people just donīt care...
    But back to the topic- Iīve never seen dyed animals here and I am really thankful for this.
    Amphibians kept:
    2.4.0 Xenopus laevis
    4.1.0 Pipa parva
    2.1.2 Bombina orientalis
    2.2.0 Bombina orientalis

Andi Eisele

I bought my ACF as a dyed blue froglet under misinformation. They had her in a tank with all sorts of colors and they were labeled as "Candy Frogs". I, like many others I'm sure, assumed she was genetically modified like the glow fish you see all over the place. I bought her thinking she was a fatter, modified version of an ADF which we'd had in our tank before. I had NO idea what I was getting into until she ate all my neon tetras and I started to do some searching. As soon as I found out what she was I moved her into a species only tank. (I had her in a 36 gallon mixed tank.) I have done my best to give her a good life with the things that she needs now that I know what she is, but I feel like I've failed her as she's recently fallen ill. Admittedly, I did buy her because she was pretty and yes the color is slowly fading as she grows, but I adore her and her personality and would never change my love for her because she will no longer be the color that gave her her name. (Blue) i guess my point with whole message is that just because some buy them because they are pretty, doesn't mean they will all discard them once they lose their colors. Albino or blue, I love her just the same and hope with all I am that she will get better and fast so she can be with our family for years to come.

Sounds to me like you're the only idiot here

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by DylanPope View Post
    Lol made an account just to say that?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by DylanPope View Post
    Lol made an account just to say that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information