Thread: Ideas Please!

Manchas

Default Ideas Please!

Hello Frog Forum-ers, I need some ideas. I have a 10 gallon long tank, and an Zoomed 12x12x18. And I have a whites tree frog, named Manchas he is about 2 inches long, in the 12x12x18 as of now so in between
    now and the build, not sure how to house him
    what lighting should i use? Where i keep the terrarium it does not stay warm it barely hovering around 70 degrees (I'm a newbie what can i say)
    I would perfer not to do a Great stuff background, so ideas are welcome there..
    Also I would like a small water feature, I think..
    All Ideas on what to do and how to do it are welcome!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Shanny

Default Re: Ideas Please!

I use a UVB bulb on a timer from 8am to 8pm, I run a 25watt red heat bulb 24/7. Frogs cannot see the red light, so u won't disturb him at night. I also have a medium zoo med heat pad for extra heat, I live in Minnesota so it's pretty cold here right now. My 2 red eyes are in a 18x18x24 now, I was keeping them in a 29gal normal fish tank temporarily until I could afford this one.
    You can buy backgrounds at pet shops, either the styrofoam or I've also seen the stuff that is wood and looks like the bark off trees. I never had a background until I got my new tank, just had a lot of stick, vines, and plants and my frogs were fine.
    As for a water feature, I actually built my own. I used a large flat rock that I found outside (boiled it for 30 minutes to clean it) to make a little river. I took a small water pump with 1/2 inch tubing that was about 3inches long, then I put 2 flat rocks over the tubing. The river runs from the back left corner, all the way to the front of my terrarium, where then it just runs off into my false bottom and recirculates.

Below are photos of my tank river before and after I planted it.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Manchas View Post
    Hello Frog Forum-ers, I need some ideas. I have a 10 gallon long tank, and an Zoomed 12x12x18. And I have a whites tree frog, named Manchas he is about 2 inches long, in the 12x12x18 as of now so in between
    now and the build, not sure how to house him
    what lighting should i use? Where i keep the terrarium it does not stay warm it barely hovering around 70 degrees (I'm a newbie what can i say)
    I would perfer not to do a Great stuff background, so ideas are welcome there..
    Also I would like a small water feature, I think..
    All Ideas on what to do and how to do it are welcome!
    To answer you question about lightning, let me quote myself from another thread that was started just a few days ago:

Here are two good example of thread with the exact questions (and answers) that you are looking for, have a look at them!

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-treefrog.html
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...new-frogs.html

(Short answer: The frogs themselves do not need any kind of special light at all, just a light source of some sort to create a day/night-cycle (for example a light on a timer).
    If your terrarium is too cold, try to raise the temperature ASAP. This can be done in a different ways, either using a light bulb (visible light, non-visible light) or an UTH.
    If you want some ideas on how a treefrog tank can look like, I have some (slightly unupdated, just imagine even more plants) pictures in my album. They are for red-eyes, but it's not that different in terms of housing requierments. Many other frogforumers have nice tanks as well, just do a quick look-around.

Lastly, I really believe you should setup the tank (in every aspect) before actually acquiring the frog. Research -> terrarium setup -> frog, is the way it should be done. Housing requierments and proper terrarium is everything when dealing with amphibians.

Good luck!

Manchas

Thanks for everthings so far!
    I have been able to raise the temerature alittle bit, I have a UTH (thats not quite cutting it) that I have under the tank because I was worried that if I put it on the sides I would run the risk of burning my frog ( and its called an (under tanksater) Should I move it to the side? I Live in Oregon and its not very warm right now...
    I did do quite a bit of reaserch before I got my frog, and I have a decent setup now but want to make it better, so the lamp will be a good start probably...
    Would you suggest making the current 12x12x18 into a nice display tank or waiting and getting something larger for when my whites gets bigger?
    and i had some questions on your guys' oppinions about a couple of things i ran into at a pet store ( you might have to copy and paste the links im not sure how to make them go directly to the site, but in the preview it led me directly to the links...)

Exo Terra : Moss Mat / Terrarium Substrate
    Exo Terra : Jungle Vines
    Exo Terra : Tree Fern / Tropical Background Panels

I was just wondering if these were sutible for whites
    Note on 2nd and 3rd one they are just a little rough, the 2nd link is a vine and is slight corse it looks like the vines people make when the cover rope in silicone and cocofiber, and the second is maybe a little rougher.

Shanny

I have my UT heater stuck to the side of mine.. It's not that hot, plus I've never seen my frogs ever lay on it.
    And now that winter is upon us I've been running a 50watt red heat bulb during the day along with my UVB and heat pad. I run the 25watt red bulb at night with the heat pad.
    I think your 12x12x18 is good for just the one.

As far as the fake moss substrate and fern background, I have never seen these before.
    But I really like the vines, I have one of those and one of a different brand, and I prefer the one that u have poster because the other one I have seems like icant get it wet and stuff falls off of it. My frogs like this vine that u have posted
    I'm sure those other things are suitable for your frogs, it's just the matter of what u prefer

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The vines are nice climbing interior that are well suited for tree frogs. However, these do not create that much climbing space, and no hiding space. The best way (in my opinon) is to just use a lot of plants. Snake plant and pothos are to examples that are greate for white's tree frogs.

And yes, you do want to stick the UTH on a side of the tank. When used underneath, they only heat the substrate, leaving the ambient temperature almost unchanged. As always with ectothermic animals, a gradient is important, especially if the UTH-side is quite hot.

Manchas

Ok so i moved the heater and it is stable at about 70ish... i will be getting a lamp soon.. and i might try to get one of those vines.. thanks for all the help!if there is any other advice you have to offer about plants or backgrouds or anything its all welcome!!

Manchas

Hi not sure if anyone is still reading on this thread any more... but i thought i would give an update on my heating situation and plans for the future..
    I got a Heat lamp and day light lamp set up and have the tank at about 80 degrees and i have gathered some of the neccasary materials for a new viv...
    I got a zoomed 18x18x24, treefern pannels for the background and some other stuff for christmas as well as a zoomed Reptifogger! I bought every thing and ordered the fogger through my local petstore (to save on shipping and i got a great deal on all the stuff) but unfortunatly the hose for the fogger was not in the box so i called the store and they said they would replace it but it would take a week for it to ship...
    Anyway I had a few questions about water features for my future viv
    1. i had a couple ideas for a water feature one being a water fall with a small pond like area and the other being a small stream that sections of a small area in the corner for some sectioning of the tank
    2. what would be a good flow rate for a waterfall or stream
    and 3. could any one recomend a good pump?
    thanks for all the help so far!
    I love this forum!

patty jones

great planing for the future , i like all about your post.

Thread Information