Thread: Frog is not eating! Please, need advice or help.

EnjoiJakey

Default Frog is not eating! Please, need advice or help.

I have had my Female pacman frog for about 4 months now. (Since she was a size of a quarter) Lately she has not been eating, or eating VERY little. I fed her feeder fish for the last 4 months and she has had no problem digesting them or eating them. I fed her a feeder fish once a day or every two days depending on the size. Now I put the fish infront of her and she has no desire of eating. She just turns around. It's been a little over two weeks since the last time she was fed. (The fish are about half her size, sometimes a tad bigger) Then just recently I tried Crickets. I use to feed her crickets and fish for the first month I got her, and she ate about 7 crickets within an hour. I put 10 crickets, and I notice just 2 are gone within two days. And TRUST me, she's actually active for being a Pacman frog. She can seriously chase down anything she wants I always find a nice size poop even when she's not eating. So please help, her size hasn't decreased and her color is still the same so I am not too worried, but just in case something is serious, I want to know.

INFO:
    She's an Inch 1/2 length and an Inch and 1/2 Width. She's not too big.
    She's in a 10 gallon tank with 3 inches high of EcoEarth.
    Temperature and Humidity are ALWAYS on the dot. (I always check twice a day and night. I also got the most accurate ones so I know for a fact it's not the Temp, or humidity. From 77-83 F and humidity is always around 76% to 80%)
    I spray everything a few times a day with Distilled water.
    I barely handle her. (I know how that stresses them out)
    (Someone told me she's hibernating BUT she's always hopping around at night and sometimes during the day.)
    I usually feed her at night, but also tried the day and still no eating.
    There's a water dish. Also Distilled water.
    There is Moss but only a huge chunk in the corner so she doesn't eat on it.
    There are no plants, just a dish and moss.
    and I usually clean the tank once every 2 months

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog is not eating! Please, need advice or help.

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoiJakey View Post
    I have had my Female pacman frog for about 4 months now. (Since she was a size of a quarter) Lately she has not been eating, or eating VERY little. I fed her feeder fish for the last 4 months and she has had no problem digesting them or eating them. I fed her a feeder fish once a day or every two days depending on the size. Now I put the fish infront of her and she has no desire of eating. She just turns around. It's been a little over two weeks since the last time she was fed. (The fish are about half her size, sometimes a tad bigger) Then just recently I tried Crickets. I use to feed her crickets and fish for the first month I got her, and she ate about 7 crickets within an hour. I put 10 crickets, and I notice just 2 are gone within two days. And TRUST me, she's actually active for being a Pacman frog. She can seriously chase down anything she wants I always find a nice size poop even when she's not eating. So please help, her size hasn't decreased and her color is still the same so I am not too worried, but just in case something is serious, I want to know.

INFO:
    Temperature and Humidity are ALWAYS on the dot. (I always check twice a day and night. I also got the most accurate ones so I know for a fact it's not the Temp, or humidity. From 77-83 F and humidity is always around 76% to 80%)
    (Someone told me she's hibernating BUT she's always hopping around at night and sometimes during the day.)
    Welcome to Frog Forum,

First off fish are food items used as treats not a staple food. Second, distilled water can only be used for misting and fog machines. It contains absolutely no salts or minerals that the frog needs to properly hydrate itself. It literally leaches all vitamins and minerals as well as salts and electrolytes out of the frog. You MUST use all natural spring water or tap water treated with a de-chlorinating agent like Prime or ReptiSafe for the soaking dish. These two factors are probably the main cause of her not eating.

Also I will address your frog's climate. Day time temp must be 80° to 83° and night temp 75° to 79°, but hover around 78° Humidity is fine, but 80% is ideal.

They MUST have a day/night cycle. 12 hours of day and 12 of night. They're nocturnal so all feeding should be done at night.

Cleaning the enclosure MUST be done no less than once a month. Two months is too long and the frog can become ill from ammonia buildup in the soil from its urine. This will cause the frog to Tox Out. The frog is not aestivating if it up and active.

Post some pictures of the frog and get rid of the moss. You don't know whether the frog chases crickets over onto the moss while you sleep and it could eat some. Also any live food item or items that have not been eaten should be removed every morning.

Post pics if the frog and its enclosure.

EnjoiJakey

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Welcome to Frog Forum,

First off fish are food items used as treats not a staple food. Second, distilled water can only be used for misting and fog machines. It contains absolutely no salts or minerals that the frog needs to properly hydrate itself. It literally leaches all vitamins and minerals as well as salts and electrolytes out of the frog. You MUST use all natural spring water or tap water treated with a de-chlorinating agent like Prime or ReptiSafe for the soaking dish. These two factors are probably the main cause of her not eating.

Also I will address your frog's climate. Day time temp must be 80° to 83° and night temp 75° to 79°, but hover around 78° Humidity is fine, but 80% is ideal.

They MUST have a day/night cycle. 12 hours of day and 12 of night. They're nocturnal so all feeding should be done at night.

Cleaning the enclosure MUST be done no less than once a month. Two months is too long and the frog can become ill from ammonia buildup in the soil from its urine. This will cause the frog to Tox Out. The frog is not aestivating if it up and active.

Post some pictures of the frog and get rid of the moss. You don't know whether the frog chases crickets over onto the moss while you sleep and it could eat some. Also any live food item or items that have not been eaten should be removed every morning.

Post pics if the frog and its enclosure.
    Oh wow, a lot of false information i was told from the people at the pet store. Thank you.
    She does have a day and night cycle.

Thank you for all this info. Hopefully when I make all these changes I'll see a huge difference. But one question. What should I feed her daily then? What's healthy and what does a normal frog love to eat?

Also she has been the same size for a few months. How fast do they grow?
    Again, thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

BuckeyeHerp

I would try Red Wigglers for better nutrition. Dust with Reptivite w/D3 twice a week. You will notice a greater growth rate with Red Wigglers or nightcrawlers.

BuckeyeHerp

I would recommend a small Amapallo plant for cover too.

Nationality
    [United States]

Improper diet can cause them to grow slowly. You also must use a Multivitamin like Herptivite once a week and a calcium powder that contains Vitamin D3 every other feeding or 3 Times a week. Don't dust with both at the same time in the same feeding. Use chunks of night crawler as the staple food source.

I recommend giving your frog a medicated bath. Go to the grocery store and buy some UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. It will be clear. It must be UNFLAVORED. Prepare a bath at a 10 to 1 ration. For every 10 ounces of de-chlorinated tap water or spring water add 1 ounce UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. The water should be Luke warm and no deeper than up to the frog's chin. Soak the frog for 15 to 20 minutes.

Perform this bath and keep me posted.

EnjoiJakey

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeHerp View Post
    I would recommend a small Amapallo plant for cover too.
    Thank you. I didn't want the tank to be too plain so yeah that helps. What does "Dust with Reptivite w/D3 twice a week" mean?

EnjoiJakey

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Improper diet can cause them to grow slowly. You also must use a Multivitamin like Herptivite once a week and a calcium powder that contains Vitamin D3 every other feeding or 3 Times a week. Don't dust with both at the same time in the same feeding. Use chunks of night crawler as the staple food source.

I recommend giving your frog a medicated bath. Go to the grocery store and buy some UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. It will be clear. It must be UNFLAVORED. Prepare a bath at a 10 to 1 ration. For every 10 ounces of de-chlorinated tap water or spring water add 1 ounce UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. The water should be Luke warm and no deeper than up to the frog's chin. Soak the frog for 15 to 20 minutes.

Perform this bath and keep me posted.
    Mmmkay, sounds great.

Thanks again and I'll definitely keep you posted after everything and using the Unflavored Pedialyte.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Im always astonished when I hear about frogs that are an inch and a half at 4 months. I have a female that was quarter sized when I got her in the very end of June. She is well over four inches.
    What kind of feeder fish have you been using? I have found that despite the fact that these frogs eat primarily vertebrate prey in the wild, there is very little in the way of vertebrate prey offered in the pet trade that makes for a safe or healthy vertebrate diet. Feeder fish would be a great food item if not for the risk of disease and exposure to antibiotics in feeder fish. The poor conditions these fish are kept in make them an unsafe choice. Pacman food makes a great alternative, and its base ingredient is fish meal.
    Considering their rapid growth rates and the fact they they do indeed eat vertebrate prey, Pacman frogs need lots of calcium to grow and maintain health. Insects, particularly crickets are very low in calcium and have a poor calcium to posphorus ratio. This can be made up for by supplementing the crickets with a calcium and D3 supplement at every feeding for a juvenile. For adults I use Calcium with every feeding, and calcium with D3 at every other feeding, as D3 overdose is possible.
    Reptivite is a reptile and amphibian vitamin that includes D3, use it as directed. For a young frog I would use calcium at every feeding. The cheapest and most readily available source of calcium carbonate would be to get plain, unflavored tums and crush them up and dust the food with them.
    For a younger frog, or one that is still rapidly growing, its generally better to keep them at the more intensive temperature of 80 to 85 degrees. For a more matured frog, between 77 and 82 is perfectly fine.
    When seeking advice on Horned Frog care, I generally look toward the advice of both Phillipe De Vosjoli and Robert Mailloux, who played an important role in establishing Horned Frogs in captivity and have extensive experience with these animals.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

INFO:
    I would continue offering the crickets as frequently as possible, make sure they are supplemented at every feeding for a frog this small that is still growing. I would cut back on the feeder fish, and consider the pacman food.
    The ten gallon is fine, and so is the eco earth
    What do you use to heat the enclosure? A warm area between 78 to 84 is perfect, and the coolest part of the enclosure can safely be between 72 to 75 degrees.
    Spraing with distilled water is fine, but you want to use eitehr spring or tap water in the dish. R/O and distilled water can leach from the frog, as mentioned, when the frog is immersed in a body of this water.
    The humidity requirements of Chacoan Horned frogs are a bit more broad ranged than most people realize. While high humidity levels are fine, so are considerably lower levels of air humidity. Relative humidity can safely drop down to the 60's or 50's at throughout the day, Misting the cage one to two times a day, preferably morning and night, and keeping the substrate moist but not soggy will keep the humidity at acceptable levels, even with a screen top. I've seen alot of advice to place plastic over a majority of the cage top, but for Chacoan Horned Frogs this is not needed. Fantasy and Surinam Horned frogs need a higher relative air humidity, in the 70's or up. Overly restricting air flow can cause problems in itself.
    Good job not handling her often. Its not so much that they become stressed, its bad for their thin skin.
    She isnt hibernating, but she may be taking a break from food. It happens.
    Try feeding her at dusk, and warm the spray bottle by immersing it in a sink full of hot water and gently mist the frog. These warm water showers at dusk can sometimes induce a frog to awake, become alert and eat.
    Use water treated with Reptisafe or a product used to treat tap water for chlorine and chlorimines used in fish tanks for the water dish instead of distilled water. Distilled water, as stated is fine for misting and it keeps the glass from getting spotted.
    You could place a plastic vining plant in the cage, just make sure its to big for the frog to get in its mouth. You could also add functional decor in the form of a curved piece of cork bark as a hide.
    What kind of moss? Generally, clumps of "sheet moss" have a lower risk of impaction that loose, long fiber moss.
    I would replace the eco earth and clean the tank at least once monthly, changing the water dish every day or other day and obviously when it gets pooped in.

The frog isnt losing weight, and it isnt dehydrated, so it sounds like you are doing fine and so is your frog. At this point I see no reason for you to take any action aside from perhaps offering a warmer hot area in the enclosure.

Giving your frog a diluted pedialyte soak a few times a day isnt really necessary if the frog is hydrated and not losing weight, but it may need an appetite boost so it wouldnt hurt. But also, try what I suggested about feeding at dusk and spraying with warm water before offering food.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    I would continue offering the crickets as frequently as possible, make sure they are supplemented at every feeding for a frog this small that is still growing. I would cut back on the feeder fish, and consider the pacman food.
    The ten gallon is fine, and so is the eco earth
    What do you use to heat the enclosure? A warm area between 78 to 84 is perfect, and the coolest part of the enclosure can safely be between 72 to 75 degrees.
    Spraing with distilled water is fine, but you want to use eitehr spring or tap water in the dish. R/O and distilled water can leach from the frog, as mentioned, when the frog is immersed in a body of this water.
    The humidity requirements of Chacoan Horned frogs are a bit more broad ranged than most people realize. While high humidity levels are fine, so are considerably lower levels of air humidity. Relative humidity can safely drop down to the 60's or 50's at throughout the day, Misting the cage one to two times a day, preferably morning and night, and keeping the substrate moist but not soggy will keep the humidity at acceptable levels, even with a screen top. I've seen alot of advice to place plastic over a majority of the cage top, but for Chacoan Horned Frogs this is not needed. Fantasy and Surinam Horned frogs need a higher relative air humidity, in the 70's or up. Overly restricting air flow can cause problems in itself.
    Good job not handling her often. Its not so much that they become stressed, its bad for their thin skin.
    She isnt hibernating, but she may be taking a break from food. It happens.
    Try feeding her at dusk, and warm the spray bottle by immersing it in a sink full of hot water and gently mist the frog. These warm water showers at dusk can sometimes induce a frog to awake, become alert and eat.
    Use water treated with Reptisafe or a product used to treat tap water for chlorine and chlorimines used in fish tanks for the water dish instead of distilled water. Distilled water, as stated is fine for misting and it keeps the glass from getting spotted.
    You could place a plastic vining plant in the cage, just make sure its to big for the frog to get in its mouth. You could also add functional decor in the form of a curved piece of cork bark as a hide.
    What kind of moss? Generally, clumps of "sheet moss" have a lower risk of impaction that loose, long fiber moss.
    I would replace the eco earth and clean the tank at least once monthly, changing the water dish every day or other day and obviously when it gets pooped in.

The frog isnt losing weight, and it isnt dehydrated, so it sounds like you are doing fine and so is your frog. At this point I see no reason for you to take any action aside from perhaps offering a warmer hot area in the enclosure.

Giving your frog a diluted pedialyte soak a few times a day isnt really necessary if the frog is hydrated and not losing weight, but it may need an appetite boost so it wouldnt hurt. But also, try what I suggested about feeding at dusk and spraying with warm water before offering food.
    The Pedialyte bath only needs performed once. If the frog isn't eating then it isn't getting all necessary electrolytes and the frog will need to replace the old stored water with fresh clean water that contains plenty of electrolytes like calcium. This can spark their appetite and revive them with an energy boost.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Gut loading may also be an issue, feeder fish are probably malnurished themselves, and crickets need to be gutloaded with a high quality food that contains calcium for 24 hours before fdeeding otherwise they are about as good as a potato chip. Honestly that could explain the small frog size.
    You will get much better growth with nightcrawlers, dubia and pacman food. Pacman food is somewhere around 43 percent protein i believe, crickets are more like 21 percent and the meat to shell ratio is lower compared to dubia. Dubia also have a high available protein percentage as well.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    Gut loading may also be an issue, feeder fish are probably malnurished themselves, and crickets need to be gutloaded with a high quality food that contains calcium for 24 hours before fdeeding otherwise they are about as good as a potato chip. Honestly that could explain the small frog size.
    You will get much better growth with nightcrawlers, dubia and pacman food. Pacman food is somewhere around 43 percent protein i believe, crickets are more like 21 percent and the meat to shell ratio is lower compared to dubia. Dubia also have a high available protein percentage as well.
    Yeah, I won't feed mine fish because of the high risks. If I bred them myself I would. I feel night crawlers to be the best staple food. Very nutritious and easily digested. Most powder supplements stick right to them. You still dusting with the Pac Food???

EnjoiJakey

I have sad news. I bought Night crawlers, Pedialyte, and spring water and when I got home, I found my frog dead this morning. I'm pretty pissed and at the same time extremely bummed. I take most of the blame from listening to the Petsmart clerks for advice. Before I bought the frog I was pretty sure I had all the info I needed but....I didn't. I'm sorry guys. I am really intrigued about these frogs and never got bored of looking or watching them.

I hate the thought of having my own pet die cause of my mistakes. I probably won't get one for a while cause I am afraid I am not prepared to take care of this beautiful creature. I would like another but we will see. It'll take time and I have to do more research this time.

I know you guys love these creatures and I'm sorry I couldn't get my hands on this site before I bought her. I thank you all for your time, and hopefully in the near future I'll be prepared and use all this information.

Nationality
    [Canada]

so sorry for your loss
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry for your loss... Just one thing I wanted to add in case you have any other reptiles. Most feeder fish sold at pet stores are either rosy reds or goldfish. It's not well-known, but they have an enzyme in them called thiaminase that can lead to death or serious problems in many reptiles. Even for 'treat' fish, it is a good idea to buy frozen silversides. They are safe for pretty much anything.
    Don't know if that's what you were buying, but that's what most petsmart/petco clerks try to sell off as live feeders.

Misschievou2

I have sad news. I bought Night crawlers, Pedialyte, and spring water and when I got home, I found my frog dead this morning. I'm pretty pissed and at the same time extremely bummed. I take most of the blame from listening to the Petsmart clerks for advice. Before I bought the frog I was pretty sure I had all the info I needed but....I didn't. I'm sorry guys. I am really intrigued about these frogs and never got bored of looking or watching them.

I hate the thought of having my own pet die cause of my mistakes. I probably won't get one for a while cause I am afraid I am not prepared to take care of this beautiful creature. I would like another but we will see. It'll take time and I have to do more research this time.

I know you guys love these creatures and I'm sorry I couldn't get my hands on this site before I bought her. I thank you all for your time, and hopefully in the near future I'll be prepared and use all this information.
    I am very sorry for your loss. I was in the same boat as you about a week ago. I baught a pacman frog in the ending of September from petco. They truly misinformed me about the care of my frog. (SAME situation about forgetting to tell me about the de-chlorinated water and correct staple diet). Luckily I found this place but my frog got better but quickly went down hill.

GrifTheGreat is quite the amazing reptile specialist and I am very happy to see him on here helping you. I was very hesitant just like you to start up but we all learn from our mistakes - sure a little froggie didn't make it but you can't blame yourself too much. Honestly petco and petsmart are completely clueless when it comes to pet care and it is insane how much they get away with like telling people false information or not enough information. I quickly got back on the horse and got myself a new one (with the help of the 2 week policy that petco has) and I insist you do some research but please do not be frightened. . I am very sure once you get enough information you will be a wonderful frog owner.

If you ever wanted to do some extra research this forum has a great care sheet for pacman frogs. Take a look!
    Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

Good luckkk! .

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Misschievou2 View Post
    . I am very sure once you get enough information you will be a wonderful frog owner.

I'm sure of that too, read as much as you can here, ask question and I'm sure your future frogs will live a happy, healthy life! you did what any responsible pet owner should do - ask for help, was listening and doing what people were advising you to do, you did all you could do under circumstances, not always we can save somebody, sometimes it is just too late. pet store people and their advices again.....
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information