Thread: New frog please help! Urgent!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New frog please help! Urgent!

Hi,

Recently bought a surinam horned frog at a reptile show. He or she is CB. He was very striking green. He's been with me like 2 mo. Always following advice of this forum.

First I had him in a 10 gal with eco earth and organic pot soil mixed for future plants. And a repti carpet at bottom of tank.

Feed him crickets, 2 large nightcrawlers and occasional mealworm (in their different stages of metamorphosis lol) I hate them.

Anyway recently he started been bloated snd darker green. He still eats eagerly. Gave him a bath and poop. IDK if hes going to shed, sick, idk. I know i havent buy a thermostat.

right now moved him to a smaller enclosure wich I covered with paper, close to my gecko lampsfor bwtter heat source at night (black light is on the left).

Please help. Is he obese or something? Is he sick?

I know he's not a regular pacman.

going to send pics of he been tiny and 2 month later.

If I spray him dechlorinated water he is turned on and debloats. But when I stop he resumes.

House temp usually run in the 73-78. last week dropped to 69 at night. I live in the bayou.

Please help! I want a healthy froggy!

Thank you

image1.pdf
    (This is him now... sex unknown)
    image2.pdf

image3.pdf

image4.pdf

image5.pdf
    (This was I bought it)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: New frog please help! Urgent!

Is the bloatedness squishy to touch?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Is the bloatedness squishy to touch?
    Is funny you know... I work with humans and a physical examinatiom in this frog is harder than anything ... when I press it fills floffy at first, then I guess squishy when I'm getting close to an organ. He even made a sound when I checked him and puffed eve more... but squishy like pressing against a gel (leg edema)that leaves like a indentention and takes time to come back, then no. When I press feels like I'm pressing a ballon but of course with something inside, is not perfectly air filling you know. If someone can describe what squshy fills like would be awsome.

Like filled with water or air. I take it air. Get something to monitor heat and humidity. Days temps should be around 82ish with a 4 or 5 degree temp drop at night. These frogs will change color as they age. Your pics are comming up broken. Try not to spray him directly. If he is readily eating and pooping I would say no worries. Would avoid the mealworms too, they could cause impaction. If you see the frog repeatedly open his mouth while kinda wiggling he is shedding, which is a cool process to watch.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Like filled with water or air. I take it air. Get something to monitor heat and humidity. Days temps should be around 82ish with a 4 or 5 degree temp drop at night. These frogs will change color as they age. Your pics are comming up broken. Try not to spray him directly. If he is readily eating and pooping I would say no worries. Would avoid the mealworms too, they could cause impaction. If you see the frog repeatedly open his mouth while kinda wiggling he is shedding, which is a cool process to watch.

Is so weird. 2 days after moving him to the critter box he is light green again... When I spray him lightly with wspring water he becomes slim and light greenvery fast in my precense. After 20-30 min he strat puffing again. If I dont water him he bloats!!! What it could be? Have this happen to anyone? I always buying exotic stuff payed $85... should have just buy a regular pac and learn How to raise them before buying him. I want him to be healthy and happy. BTW I have baytril amd antibios in case of need.

Hydromete measuring in the 70-80% range....

I dont think anything is wrong at the moment. If you keep stressing though, and moving the frog from enclosure to enclosure the frog will stop eating from stress. Just releax and stay on your current feeding schedule.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

i understand the issue can be serious but I had to laugh at the question:

Is the frog squishy?

I've got a pacman frog. He's "squishy" when he's full of food, full of air, full of pee.

I've looked at your pics and I can't say it looks obviously bloated with edema.
    My pacman frog also looked quite trim when i got him as a juvenile. But good lord give him one or two of those dried pacman frog pellets and he swells up comically.

Squishy like all water filled is usually a sign of toxing out. When the frogs are toxing out they will take on more water in a bid to flush out thier system resulting in a sort of squishy feeling. From what the text described, Its sounds like the frog is puffing itself up full of air which is common for them to do. For some reason i am unable to view the pictures, and only had the text to go off of.

Waterlogged might be a better term than squishy come to think of it. =)

Thread Information