Thread: Thousands of Rana Catesbeiana...what to do...PLEASE HELP...ADVISE!!

newb8

Default Thousands of Rana Catesbeiana...what to do...PLEASE HELP...ADVISE!!

Hello all I have a bunch (thousands) of fresh Rana Catesbeiana tadpoles in my swimming pool. I’m for such they are the Bull frog; I listen to them every night, very loud!! I need to fish them out and I would like to sell them for some extra $$, but I’m not sure how to go about it, I would hate for most to all the bull frogs die, or get eaten by the parents, which are like 8” long and fat, the whole top of the water of the pool is nothing but tadpoles!!

PLEASE HELP!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

berdiesandfrogs

Default Re: Thousands of Rana Catesbeiana...what to do...PLEASE HELP...ADVISE!!

HA!!! the same thing happened to me 2 days ago, go check out the advice i got at :http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...light=tadpoles , as for the cash, don't expect any thing. just save as many tad poles as possible and make sure that they are the healthilyest ones. keep them separate in tuba-ware enclosers with lots of space and feed them boiled letace.
    best of luck!

newb8

Wink Re: Thousands of Rana Catesbeiana...what to do...PLEASE HELP...ADVISE!!

what do i feed them, i guess fish food, like the other guy said, i have never raised frogs, so i have no idea what to do

these are definally american bull frogs, i watched a utube video on them croaking, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M02_dnl9zCA and thats what they sound like and look like, the leapord frog has clicks and has spots on its back i think, bull frog make a noise as loud as a train horn...LOL really load, especially when the noise echos on the pool walls, im so use to it now, only noise at night i can hear!!!

newb8

Also I know might be a stupid question, but I read some said you can and some say you can't get warts from frogs or toads, from their pee, is said to carry the virus.

So does frog or toad pee or some other amphibian carry the wart virus?

Froggiefressh

Quote Originally Posted by newb8 View Post
    Also I know might be a stupid question, but I read some said you can and some say you can't get warts from frogs or toads, from their pee, is said to carry the virus.

So does frog or toad pee or some other amphibian carry the wart virus?
    I've been handling toads and frogs for over 10+ years and have never had warts.

7. This member thanks Froggiefressh for this post:

newb8

Quote Originally Posted by Froggiefressh View Post
    I've been handling toads and frogs for over 10+ years and have never had warts.
    how many times have you been peed on? and by what frog or toad?

newb8

this is the frogs i have in my pool, same link as above, but easyier to watch, same noise, are there any other frog that look and sound like that in georgia?

Froggiefressh

Quote Originally Posted by newb8 View Post
    how many times have you been peed on? and by what frog or toad?
    Haha too many times to count unfortunately, Mostly Michigan native frogs, but quite a few others too. I used to have a white tree frog that liked to pee on people.

wesleybrouwer

It's just a myth you can get warts from it.
    The "pee" is for most part just water
    They squirt this out when they get scared or need to hunt.
    By squeezing out the fluid they loose a lot of weight instantly, this can save them in much cases close to half their weight in matter of a second.
    Aboriginals in the outback use this mechanism to drink in times water is scarce by making the frogs squirt the water out.
    It won't hurt you since the actual urine is strongly diluted.

12. This member thanks wesleybrouwer for this post:

newb8

i hope that’s right, that’s why i wore rubber gloves when i handled them before, some people who deal with toads say toads pee carries the wart virus, frog don’t, this I heard many times, I so hope its not true though.

wesleybrouwer

I'm positive it's just a myth.
    The warts on the back of the toad are just glands for most part, it has nothing to do with the virus causing warts in human.
    It is best to not touch you're animals tho, so i guess not bad such a myth is persistent
    If you wear gloves, you need to get the latex ones without the dust in it, not sure how you guys call them but guess someone else can tell you that,
    and moisten them a bit before handling if you really need to.

By the way, if i were you i'd not raise all of them.
    Any idea on the amount of food you are going to need to raise the froglets?

newb8

i used latex no power gloves the same i use when i work on my car, the pool is 22'x15' inside flat floor, 5' of water, i have not planned on feeding them, but then i was thinking about buying a bag of fish food and feed them all to get as many in the wild as i can, i live in the country with a active 10' wide creek in back yard, which i was thinking about putting the tadpoles in the creek, but i think they may need still water, what do you all think?

wesleybrouwer

Ah ok, i was under the impression you wanted to raise some frogs out of it to keep inside

Best you just let them do their thing.
    I guess you might unwillingly alter the eco system around you by allowing thousands of froglets to make it into adulthood.
    The reason for those large amounts of eggs is that a very large portion never makes it.
    If all of a sudden this amount of froglets are going to hunt for insects, it might pose a problem for the frogs theirself, but also for other insectivores that might be around you're place.

newb8

Weird thing is I see the big bull frogs in there every year, some times more than 2 then usually just 2 or 1 that I can see might be more under water. During the winter I do not see or hear them, the water looks clearer than the summer, I don’t know if they can live under water all winter or not, or if I get new frogs in there every year and the old ones die. They can’t get out, and the only way for me to get them out is to drain the pool, and catch them which is a job, then I let them go , and a few days later I see more bullfrogs in the pool with less than a foot of water, and they usually do worse if I drain the pool to get them out, so really I’m wondering what’s best, can tadpoles survive in a active creek?

where i live we can stand for more bug eaters!!!

Thread Information