Thread: Plans for my 1st vivarium build. Suggestions/advice needed!

Alyson

Question Plans for my 1st vivarium build. Suggestions/advice needed!

Here are the plans for my first build: imgur: the simple image sharer
    (This is my first post and I can't seem to get the picture to show up, so if it doesn't work please let me know!!!)

I have 2 FBTs and an extra 10 gallon tank so I really want to build this! However, I'm completely new to vivariums/paludariums. So, I was hoping someone with more experience than me could take a look at my plans and help me avoid any pitfalls. I've been lurking on these forums and researching for about a month, so I've definitely done my homework. Here are my questions/concerns:

1. I've done a ton of research about false bottom and I know they are meant to keep my "land area" from sitting in the water. I'm not sure what role the false bottom plays in the "water area" though. If I want semi-aquatic plants in the "water area" do I need the false bottom to extend to the water area (like I've drawn it) or do I only need the false bottom for the "land area"?

2. Can I use Eco-earth underwater for semi-aquatic plants (like I've drawn) or am I going about this the wrong way?

3. Is it okay for my water heater to sit underneath the false bottom?

4. I guess I need lighting for the plants but I have no clue how to go about this. I have a wire lid on the tank right now, would I need to buy a "hood" with a light in it for my tank? Could I simply rest a light on the wire lid or would it get too hot?

That's it for now. Hopefully someone can give me some feedback! Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hidr

Default Re: Plans for my 1st vivarium build. Suggestions/advice needed!

Since you have no replies how did this turn out?

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Default Re: Plans for my 1st vivarium build. Suggestions/advice needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alyson View Post
    Here are the plans for my first build: imgur: the simple image sharer
    (This is my first post and I can't seem to get the picture to show up, so if it doesn't work please let me know!!!)

I have 2 FBTs and an extra 10 gallon tank so I really want to build this! However, I'm completely new to vivariums/paludariums. So, I was hoping someone with more experience than me could take a look at my plans and help me avoid any pitfalls. I've been lurking on these forums and researching for about a month, so I've definitely done my homework. Here are my questions/concerns:

1. I've done a ton of research about false bottom and I know they are meant to keep my "land area" from sitting in the water. I'm not sure what role the false bottom plays in the "water area" though. If I want semi-aquatic plants in the "water area" do I need the false bottom to extend to the water area (like I've drawn it) or do I only need the false bottom for the "land area"?

2. Can I use Eco-earth underwater for semi-aquatic plants (like I've drawn) or am I going about this the wrong way?

3. Is it okay for my water heater to sit underneath the false bottom?

4. I guess I need lighting for the plants but I have no clue how to go about this. I have a wire lid on the tank right now, would I need to buy a "hood" with a light in it for my tank? Could I simply rest a light on the wire lid or would it get too hot?

That's it for now. Hopefully someone can give me some feedback! Thanks in advance!
    wow, i take a break to move and things fall apart in the viv forums...lol

i'm sure you probably already started this project, but i'll answer your questions anyway. 1, you can do it either way. although you really only need the false bottom for your terrestrial portion. 2. i wouldn't use cocofiber in the aquatic section. it really has no nutritional value for the plants, and there are so many better options you could choose from. 3. yes, it is perfectly fine to use the heater under the false bottom. in fact, it's the only way i heat my false bottomed tanks. 4. you can sit a light on top, suspend a light if possible or you can buy a hood/light combo. although, if you are sitting the light on top, i would recommend you use florescent lighting. incandescent lighting tends to melt the rims on the newer, inexpensively built tanks.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri