Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Whites tree frog setup

Nationality
    [United States]

Smile New Whites tree frog setup

Hello all,

I am brand new to the forums and am currently putting together a whites tree frog ( dumpy tree frog) setup. I am using a 10 gallon tank with eco earth substrate. I have a small heat pad for the side to help keep the tank warm. I also have a exo terra UVB 5.0 bulb to help boost the frogs activity. I have a large corner water bowl and a large artificial fine for the frog to climb around on. Anyway, I work at a pet store and am planning on getting one dumpy frog to start. I have a few questions though. Am I missing or lacking anything in my setup? Can I keep 2 frogs in the 10 gallon or do I need to use my 20 gallon high? What do I need to know as far as handling the frog and holding him? What do you recommend feeding him other than crickets? I have done extensive research and feel that I am ready to pick the frog up next week. With that being said....feel free to give me any advice if you have experience with whites tree frogs. Lastly, I can't wait to get the setup rolling and get myself a little froggy friend!

I will try to add a picture of the setup in the meantime...

Thanks,
    sam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Whites tree frog setup

Hey,
    10-gallons is fine for juveniles but even one adult requires a 20-gallon tank, then for two at least a 30 gallon or 18x18x24" Exo Terra, ideally larger. Provide plenty of cork bark and artificial plants as well in it. Heat mats are not the best. Heat should be provided by a incandescent light as they like to bask. Handle when they're older and rinse your hands and dry, then spray some dechlorinated water on them. Superworms, in moderation, can be used and so can roaches. Put them in a deep bowl, otherwise they will burrow and hide from the frog. You can give them mice once a month or less.
    Some good books on them you should give a read: Amphibians in Captivity Staniszewski 1995, Popular Tree Frogs De Vosjoli and Mailloux 2005 and Treefrogs Devin Edmonds 2007

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey , I would say everything great right now , but the heatmat should be taped to the side of the cage because they mostly stick to the sides of the terrarium and also I suggest branches my WTF loves to sit in his branches , also make sure there are lots of hiding places they love to know their hidden as well if you want a picture of my setup I will gladly post a picture , and I just got my first WTF too so we're in this boat together lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Keyasia5 View Post
    Hey , I would say everything great right now , but the heatmat should be taped to the side of the cage because they mostly stick to the sides of the terrarium and also I suggest branches my WTF loves to sit in his branches , also make sure there are lots of hiding places they love to know their hidden as well if you want a picture of my setup I will gladly post a picture , and I just got my first WTF too so we're in this boat together lol

I'd love to see a picture of your setup!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by snortz21 View Post
    I'd love to see a picture of your setup!
    Okay I'll post in about 10 minutes

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by snortz21 View Post
    Hello all,

I am brand new to the forums and am currently putting together a whites tree frog ( dumpy tree frog) setup. I am using a 10 gallon tank with eco earth substrate. I have a small heat pad for the side to help keep the tank warm. I also have a exo terra UVB 5.0 bulb to help boost the frogs activity. I have a large corner water bowl and a large artificial fine for the frog to climb around on. Anyway, I work at a pet store and am planning on getting one dumpy frog to start. I have a few questions though. Am I missing or lacking anything in my setup? Can I keep 2 frogs in the 10 gallon or do I need to use my 20 gallon high? What do I need to know as far as handling the frog and holding him? What do you recommend feeding him other than crickets? I have done extensive research and feel that I am ready to pick the frog up next week. With that being said....feel free to give me any advice if you have experience with whites tree frogs. Lastly, I can't wait to get the setup rolling and get myself a little froggy friend!

I will try to add a picture of the setup in the meantime...

Thanks,
    sam
    Here's my setup, and the crickets love to kick the calcium off their bodies so it's everywhere

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Keyasia5 View Post
    Here's my setup, and the crickets love to kick the calcium off their bodies so it's everywhere

Im sorry but, the tanks not tall enough and there's no lights, for UVB or basking? Not really ideal

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Im sorry but, the tanks not tall enough and there's no lights, for UVB or basking? Not really ideal
    I know the tanks not tall enough I'm going to change that but he is usually outside but it's too cold right now , but thanks I guess

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Outside? There should be UVB and heat over the tank, in a natural way for proper body functions e.g. activity, feeding and digestion, calcium ultisation

Nationality
    [United States]

Outside? There should be UVB and heat over the tank, in a natural way for proper body functions e.g. activity, feeding and digestion, calcium ultisation
    So outside isn't natural ??? But what light would you recommend?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Depends, if you live in a climate similar to Australia in terms of UV index, temperature and humidity and can keep them outside in a screened enclosure for a couple days a week... but this is the UVB side of things. When kept in the tank, proper basking and ambient temperatures need to be provided. I'm not a big fan doing this as every time they feed they should really have proper heat and UVB to make sure every meal is put to use. I would use a 5% compact, with more cover at one side so it can escape the light. The UVB can be in an open or partial open area in the tank and with a 25-40W heat lamp/spot light depending on how much it takes to get a basking temp of 85F or so over a branch, then ambient temperatures 77F at the cool side. UVB is then allows them to make previramin D and when they are exposed to the upper basking temperature then D3 will be made in the body to make use of the calcium

Nationality
    [United States]

Depends, if you live in a climate similar to Australia in terms of UV index, temperature and humidity and can keep them outside in a screened enclosure for a couple days a week... but this is the UVB side of things. When kept in the tank, proper basking and ambient temperatures need to be provided. I'm not a big fan doing this as every time they feed they should really have proper heat and UVB to make sure every meal is put to use. I would use a 5% compact, with more cover at one side so it can escape the light. The UVB can be in an open or partial open area in the tank and with a 25-40W heat lamp/spot light depending on how much it takes to get a basking temp of 85F or so, then ambient temperatures 77F at the cool side
    I'm not sure if your familiar with Texas but out weather is very similar too that everyday but as of right now it cold so he is inside in that tank but I am going to buy him a tall tank but until he can actually climb on his own ( I got him from petco , and I'm pretty sure it's a calcium deficiency) he will stay in this tank and I will help him up where he likes to bask at. As of now he is doing a lot better with the calcium I have been giving him

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I know in the US California is similar and breeders keep them in greenhouses there but not sure on Texas. But like I said, the problem is that this can cause shortfalls as there's not constant access to UV and heat, which should be available to make use of every meal. Keeping outside all of the time in the summer then indoors in winter would be best, if that's what you've been doing. But then UVB and heat should be in the winter if you want to keep it active and feeding

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah that's what I been doing and he seems fine and he's getting better and I will get a uvb light for when he's inside and I actually have a question what size tank should I get , I seen a nano but I'm not really sure I know the mini is way too small but the nano is really tall and I think they are exo terra

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Sounds good, small heat light as well, they work both hand in hand.

If it's just the one frog then a 20 gallon "high" or 18" cube Exo Terra is the minimum, but 30 gallon/18x18x24" tanks are better

Nationality
    [United States]

If it's just the one frog then a 20 gallon "high" or 18" cube Exo Terra is the minimum, but 30 gallon/18x18x24" tanks are better
    Is it really necessary to have a basking bulb. I ask because WTFs come from the rainforest, not the desert and spend much of their time under shaded trees. If necessary, what kind of basking bulb would u recommend (brand and size)? Remember, I do have a heat pad to put on the side so I don't wanna have too much heat in the tank and dry it out.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

They don't come from rainforests in Australia. There's a range of different habitats in Australia and Whites live in woodlands or grasslands with suitable climbing and water areas, most of the time it stays relatively dry. The ones in New Guinea live in the same. However, even frogs that do live in rainforests can still bask in the higher, exposed branches or open areas of ground.

With a 10-gallon long the options are limited since the frog will get so close the light. For that reason I would use an white incandescent bulb rather than a spotlight. Try a 25-40w one to see what provides temps.
    Last edited by jasonm96; January 6th, 2017 at 12:01 PM.

19. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

One last thing, should I place my heat mat on the bottom of the tank or on the side? I'd rather place it on the side because I'm worried that if I put it it on the bottom, then the heat won't radiate through the 2+ inches of coconut fiber substrate. Whereas if I put it on the side, it will allow the heat to dissipate throughout the tank much easier and the frog likes to stick to the glass so he could stick in front of it to stay warm. Let me know what you think

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I would use the heat lamp during the day for a thermal gradient of 75F to 85F under the light. You could then put the mat on the wall or ground on a thermostat to come on if temps drop below 68F. If you use it on the bottom then reduce the substrate to one inch or less. A deep substrates is not needed unless you're going for a bio-active tank with drainage layer and a few inches deep for planting. This is best done in a tanks 24" high since the layered substrate will waste available height to the frog

Nationality
    [United States]

I just setup my WTF colony last month.. I use a large plastic tub with latching lid that I soldered air holes all over (sides, top, etc.). I use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) in a dome lamp suspended over the tub on one end (it is hanging on a lamp stand). That gets their basking area to ~85-89f. It is controlled via a dimmer and I adjust it (using an IR heat gun) to the correct temp. I leave it on 24/7 and have seen them using it day and night. My ambient temps in that room are already 75f though.

WTF get large...Mine have grown considerably since I got them a month ago, so I'd plan on a larger tank soon, or use a plastic tub like I am doing. Mine will eventually go into a large bioactive setup I am building the background of right now.

I feed my WTF dubia roaches dusted with vitamins / cal+d3 and feed them every other day. I use a feeding bowl and the frogs have taken to it pretty quickly. As soon as the bowl goes in, I will see at least 2 WTF jump in to start eating. The roaches can't climb out if the bowl is smooth glass or ceramic about 1" high or taller. I leave them in overnight with a moisture source (carrot) so the feeders have something to munch on.

I would also suggest a large water bowl and change it very frequently. I try to change mine 1-2x a day as they foul it every night and sometimes in the day. I use standard dechlorinated water for that and to spray my hands if I have to handle them..I typically use gloves to handle and only remove if I need to clean their cage.

Good luck! I love my WTF and am already looking for more to add to my colony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information