Thread: Small Appetite?

pixiefrogman

Default Small Appetite?

Fat Albert is a healthy 8 inch male african bullfrog who is active and acting normal, but he has a really small appetite. Is this okay for a huge male to not eat very much?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Small Appetite?

Hey TJ..Im not experienced with Bullfrogs...I do know that with my adult frogs they do tend to slow down with their appetites. What is Fat Albert's actual diet? That may help the experts with your question.

pixiefrogman

Well I try to feed him a variety of things, but he'll only eat crickets occasionally in his water dish. I want to ask the members who have older pyxie frogs, if that their appetite slows down when they get older.

Jace

Honestly, I think it is based on the frog, TJ. My male, Kadesh, is only 2 1/2 years old, but usually chooses to only eat 1-2 times a month. He is also the most inactive out of my three. My other male, Gherkin, is almost 8 years old, and has weekly or more feedings; he is the most active. My female, Obi, is the same age as Kadesh and she prefers to be feed once a week, or once every other week. Despite his infrequent feedings, Kadesh is still a good size, great colouring and hisses at me whenever he is disturbed. Being a relatively non-active frog (especially in captivity), we want to feed them more than they actually need for their lifestyles. As the owner of several overly chubby frogs and toads, I worry when something is not eating when I want it to!!

EpicFrogMan

I have the same problem with my male. My female is 3 times smaller and always wants to eat anything.

googie

Hi TJ:

I have just gotten an adspursus froglet yet I do have adult edulus. In regards to the P. edulus (Kong), he use to eat everything in sight when he was younger, yet now he will eat generally only every three days, and his appetite is much more selctive, preferring crickets mostly.

He use to eat everything, yet now will only take the occasional red wiggler, but as I said mainly crickets (gut loaded of course and dusted occasionally).

I have an Ornate as well, and like the edulus, the same thing has occured as he got older.

I agree with Jace, sometimes we worry because WE want them to eat. If they appear healthy and are showing no signs of ill health then I wouldn't worry. Of course make sure the temp and humidity are OK.

Hope this puts your mind at ease

Kevin1

I've got to ask what are your frogs temperatures? Hot end, cool end, and water temps, please.

pixiefrogman

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1 View Post
    I've got to ask what are your frogs temperatures? Hot end, cool end, and water temps, please.
    The air temp stays about 82 degrees all the time, the hot side has a heat mat that keeps the dirt at 80 degrees, and my cool side (including water dish) stays around 70-75 degrees. But because he spends all his time in his water bowl, I think I'm going to invest in a water heater.

Kevin1

That's what I was going to suggest. My frog spends all his time in the water, because it was on the cool side, his appetite decreased. So I got him a water heater and his appetite has never been better.

pixiefrogman

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1 View Post
    That's what I was going to suggest. My frog spends all his time in the water, because it was on the cool side, his appetite decreased. So I got him a water heater and his appetite has never been better.
    I'll definitely try it, what type of heater do you recommend?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I've got a pair in a split tank, the female will always eat if offered food, the male will often only eat if the food walks right up to him. Its obvious he is not that interested, but every now and then he eats like mad. I think that once they are grown, both ate everything offered when young, they eat far less and as my male hardly moves he simply does not need that much food.

Kevin1

There's no particular brand I prefer, just try and make sure it's a submersible heater.

Thread Information