Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gray tree frog question

Franzy22

Default Gray tree frog question

i am getting a tank and i ant to put a gray tree frog i was wondering where would be the best place to get them as a pet and do females make noises or do both female and males do plz help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Gray tree frog question

I recommend buying from an experienced breeder. Not sure which is the best place to look but LLL Reptile is pretty reliable and they have some. Also check local reptile shows. Only males will make noise. How big is the tank you plan on getting? Here is a caresheet for them
    Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Franzy22

i have a ten gallon i know it is small but i am makeing a background out of wood and putting alot of vines

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It would be best if you converted it to a vertical. A grey tree frog really isn't going to be very happy in a horizontal 10 gallon. I had mine in one for a couple of months before switching to a 24" tall vivarium. Also, it's not always easy to find captive bred grey tree frogs. Many states have laws regarding collecting/keeping/selling/transporting native amphibians. You will have to look and see what your local wildlife laws are.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    I recommend buying from an experienced breeder. Not sure which is the best place to look but LLL Reptile is pretty reliable and they have some. Also check local reptile shows. Only males will make noise. How big is the tank you plan on getting? Here is a caresheet for them
    Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding
    I'm pretty sure that you will not find captive bred Grays on the market. They are so cheap to collect that it's just not cost effective for anyone to try to breed them. I would check out which dealers carry them, and then try to find out which are the most reputable. Sometimes you can find tadpoles for sale on Ebay, if you want to go that route.

Ten gallons is okay if you have a baby, but I wouldn't put an adult in anything smaller than a 20 gallon. You could probably find a cheap used one on Craig's List, or wait for a dollar a gallon sale at Petsmart.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

Franzy22

when is that dollar a gallon

Quote Originally Posted by Franzy22 View Post
    when is that dollar a gallon
    I know they had one going on around Christmas. They also had one going on for awhile last summer. Your best bet is probably to call Petco and ask.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

The dollar/gallon sale ended 1/24.

Gray's, like crunchy mentioned, are native and easy to collect, so nobody really carries them. Not to mention that it's not legal to ship them into some states. You best bet would be to go for a nature walk in the spring or hit up ebay, as suggested.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

i have seen them online but don't remember where. Yes you need a very TALL space, not a 10 gallon. I have my 2 in an Exo Terra 18x18x24 high. They are pretty happy in there.

1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

Franzy22

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you will not find captive bred Grays on the market. They are so cheap to collect that it's just not cost effective for anyone to try to breed them. I would check out which dealers carry them, and then try to find out which are the most reputable. Sometimes you can find tadpoles for sale on Ebay, if you want to go that route.

Ten gallons is okay if you have a baby, but I wouldn't put an adult in anything smaller than a 20 gallon. You could probably find a cheap used one on Craig's List, or wait for a dollar a gallon sale at Petsmart.

what if i put my tank going vertical so it is taller

Nationality
    [United States]

Where are you from Franzie? You can occasionally buy Grey's from LLL reptile, backwater reptile, and various other places but they are out of season now and I can all but guarantee they are out of stock right now. Here is what you should do. First contact your fish and boat commission and learn your local laws concerning these guys, you may find importing them is illegal (not that that will technically stop you, but it is something to consider). Then see what they say about wild catching them and keeping them as pets. For example in PA, we can have one per person, and they can only be obtained one per day per fishing license, unless you collect them as tadpoles, and then the limit is 15. After they are in your possession for 30 days they cannot be released back into the wild. In your state it may be different. Assuming you decide to collect one, and assuming it is legal for you, I'd go for tadpoles as they will have less impact on native populations than removing a breeding female (females do not sing). It is complicated...
    I'd also look into whites tree frogs, they are a lot of fun, and make just as good of pets. But do start stalking Craig's list for a larger tank, or build your own...
    2 White's Tree frogs, Merrill and Morgan.
    1 Brachypelma Vagans (no name yet)
    1 Brachypelma Smithi (no name yet)
    1 Psalmopoeus Irminia (no name yet)
    1 Poecilotheria Metallica (no name yet)
    1 Avicularia Versicolor (no name yet)
    1 Grammastola Pultripes (no name yet)
    1 Grammastola Pulchra (no name yet)
    1x10^3 B Dubia
    1x10^3 B Lateralis
    1x10^3 native isopods, in a surprising variety of color morphs.
    Assorted plants...

Franzy22

im from ma can big eye tree frog stay in a ten gallon

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

In general I'd assume all tree frogs like to climb. A wide 10gal is probably going to be too short. You can put your tank vertically, but then you'd want to make sure not to put the heat source over the top of the tank because it might crack the glass. If you use a heat lamp you'd want it at an angle, where the heat comes through the screen on the side.

Frogger00

I don't think any tree frog can live in a 10 gallon and be happy, it's just too small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Franzy22

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    In general I'd assume all tree frogs like to climb. A wide 10gal is probably going to be too short. You can put your tank vertically, but then you'd want to make sure not to put the heat source over the top of the tank because it might crack the glass. If you use a heat lamp you'd want it at an angle, where the heat comes through the screen on the side.
    do i have to use a heat lamp

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Depending what species you really have your heart set on and what your ambient temp is, you may need a heat lamp. I use one with my greys even though the house is around 68 degrees F because they eat better and are more active when they are warmed a bit.

I would start looking on craigslist and just get something slightly bigger. I know that I've seen tanks on there that are pretty cheap. You could even sell the 10g that you have on there and put the money towards something bigger.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Franzy22

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Depending what species you really have your heart set on and what your ambient temp is, you may need a heat lamp. I use one with my greys even though the house is around 68 degrees F because they eat better and are more active when they are warmed a bit.

I would start looking on craigslist and just get something slightly bigger. I know that I've seen tanks on there that are pretty cheap. You could even sell the 10g that you have on there and put the money towards something bigger.
    what can i put in a ten gallon

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by Franzy22 View Post
    what can i put in a ten gallon
    Tarantula, crabs, beta fish, there's more, but that's what I can think of.

Franzy22

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post

whats the smalles Eco terra for a big eye tree frog or two

Frogger00

18x18x24 high would be good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information