Thread: Good deal?

fruitloop

Default Good deal?

I'm on the look out for some fire bellied toads and I was snooping on kijiji tonight and found this add...

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-pets-othe...AdIdZ261143459

"
    Fire Belly Toads are easy to care for, keep water in their tank, and feed them 3 times a week! They eat 25 3 week crickets monday wednsday and saturday!

I have 5 fire Belly Toads ~ $17.00 each at petland.
    Their 10g tank, the pump, a hide rock, plants, rocks, Live Bamboo, exrta Sand.

I also have a 5g tank that you can keep the crickets in that you can have as well"

I'm not really interested in the 10 gallon tank but some of the stuff in it I am and the lid. I'd be putting these guys into a 20 g tank. I emailed them about it, asked them how old they were and how long they've had them so waiting to hear back. So, what do you guys think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Good deal?

Personally, even though it seems like a good price, I wouldn't go for it. The reason is I'd rather get them from a breeder, or a place where I'd have a guarantee on their health. These FBT could be in perfect shape... But I wouldn't take the risk, personally. This is just my approach.

And to answer your question, if it was from someone I'd know, I'd say yes, the deal is good.

bshmerlie

The problem is that it is very difficult to find CB firebellies. Most available in the pet trade are wild caught. These frogs do look very plump and healthy. Im not sure if you would get any better at a pet store. I think you should take a look at them and make your best call. If you know of a place to get captive bred ones those would be my first choice but if not....

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    The problem is that it is very difficult to find CB firebellies. Most available in the pet trade are wild caught. These frogs do look very plump and healthy. Im not sure if you would get any better at a pet store. I think you should take a look at them and make your best call. If you know of a place to get captive bred ones those would be my first choice but if not....
    Cheri made a good point. As always. This is one of the reasons why I really research where I get them from first. I was lucky enough to find breeders in Montreal. But as I am hearing, it's not always this easy...

fruitloop

Well, I got a reply back and I called and talked to him. He 'says" they are in good health, eating well, have done regular water changes, they are about 1 year old and they've had them for about 8 months...bought them from a pet store, they have never been sick and they are getting rid of them because they are acquiring to many pets and bought them for their kids but the the kids lost interest in them and don't want them anymore. They said they would sell me everything for $90. I'm going to go look at them tomorrow. Anything I should be looking for when I go check them out?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Oof... Are FBTs really going for almost $20 now?

fruitloop

Quote Originally Posted by tylototriton View Post
    Oof... Are FBTs really going for almost $20 now?
    They're closer to $12 but they are fairly small at that price.

Wormwood

I'd try to get him down to $50 , letting him know you don't really need the tanks and supplies - you just want to give them a good home. Maybe quote him that you can get them cheaper then $17 at a pet store near you as well.

bshmerlie

They are definately chubby frogs and look healthy. I would agree and try to get him to go down on the price. Most everyone is negotiable.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    . Anything I should be looking for when I go check them out?
    Just make sure they are all active, no sores, and clear eyes. They are definately eating by the looks of them. Check under the bellies make sure there are no abrasions or anything like that. Don't take any that are slow moving or you are unsure of. Better to be safe than sorry.

fruitloop

Thanks everyone...I'll let you know how tomorrow goes

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    Thanks everyone...I'll let you know how tomorrow goes
    Hi Julie. So, how did it go?

bshmerlie

Yeah....let's see those toads.

fruitloop

Well, the kijiji thing fell through. I asked them if they would consider selling just the frogs without the tank and they said no. I really didn't want another 10g. They were suppose to email me an address and a home number so I could call before I came and I never heard anything back from them. I ended up going to the pet store and buying 4 frogs there. They didn't have any bright green ones but these guys/or girls are pretty damn cute. A couple of them are a darker green and a couple are more of the dark brown. Their colours did lighted up a bit since bring them home, I'm hoping that's not a bad sign. I think they like their tank (exactly how do you know if they don't? ), they're moving around explore hiding spots and they seem to like hanging out in the water quite a bit. My other little girl leopard frog is doing well in her new home too. I moved her into my son's room. The kids love the new frogs and are always at the tank looking for them Thanks again for all the info and advice you guys gave me...very much appreciated! I'll try to get some pictures of them to show off

clownonfire

Kijiji: It's a hit and miss type of things...

For the bright green colour, don't worry. You will see, their colours change. And I have a feeling it might be because of the quality of the water at the pet shop. FBT produce a lot of toxins, and if the water is not changed regularly, it will affect them. It took me awhile to understand that.

If you change your dechlorinated water often (if you use tap water, just make sure the water is kept in a container with no lid for at least 24 hours before using it in the tank), the bright green will come back rather rapidly.

bshmerlie

Also if you lighten up their surroundings they will lighten up with it.

Thread Information