Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacman frog bleeding from nose.

Default Pacman frog bleeding from nose.

Hello guys. So i'm kinda worried. I was feeding my frog and he started bleeding from the nose.
    Not sure if it was is blood or pray's blood. The cricket was kinda of big. But the frog should normally handle this size. Any ideas?
    Any advice on this?
    Should i be worried?
    Frog has pooped this morning, everything seemed right.
    Could the cricket have hurt him on the way down? I cleaned the blood with some paper it seemed to have stopped right away this leads me to think it was the crickets blood?
    He seems to breath fine and he seems as good as always, running arround and etc i fed him and cleaned is nose he's now under the substrate as always..
    The cricket was a big black one(gryllus bimaculatus) not the brown ones(acheta domesticaand), surely it seemed crunchy as it poped when he bitted it out of the tongs.
    I guess he could have had some trouble while swallowing?
    The frog is this size now:

The crickets are about 3cms.
    Thanks for the help
    Last edited by froghub; November 6th, 2017 at 09:56 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman frog bleeding from nose.

I'm thinking one of two things, either it is like you said and it is the cricket's blood, especially if the bleeding stopped immediately after cleaning the frog, or it may have tried in a last ditch effort to save it's life kicking the frog with the spines on the rear hind legs, which may have broken skin. If you're still unsure, I would recommend taking it to a vet, but I personally think it's nothing to worry about. If it happens again, I would take it to a vet, just to be safe.

4. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Yes, immediatly after the cricket went all the way down it stopped as i was cleaning it. And i noticed this translucid fluid mixed with the blood and exiting at last, i guess if it was the frogs blood it would just be blood? And i take the cricket backlegs off so they don't hurt him, so i guess the only way he could have hurt him was throught bitting. But i fed him the crickets from the back, so the head comes last? And he swallows them like a banana, not sideways.
    What do you think? Crickets blood most likely? Does this happens often? I'm keeping and eye on him he's doing just fine as always... I guess i'll give him little crickets so its easy for him to swallow. Although the eye rule was respected, he was big in lenght. He ate 3 crickets, I gave him the big one last, maybe he was full after that one?
    Thanks for the answer pall.

Nationality
    [Canada]

It was more then likely the cricket, I wouldn't worry to much and just keep an eye on him to see if it happens again. The only other thing I could think of is may be he banged it if he was moving around but if he was stationary that wouldn't be the case.

7. This member thanks monster for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    It was more then likely the cricket, I wouldn't worry to much and just keep an eye on him to see if it happens again. The only other thing I could think of is may be he banged it if he was moving around but if he was stationary that wouldn't be the case.
    Nah, it was really just for 10 seconds while swallowing the cricket, i cleaned him he swalloed the cricket and he stopped bleeding instantanly.
    Has this ever happen to you Monster? Pray's blood coming out of the frog nostrils? Does it happens often?
    I guess i should feed him smaller crickets right? I guess he might be too big to get down is throat.
    Btw you guys in the US/Canada use the brown crickets or the black ones?? My frog prefers the black ones, but they're way bigger than the brown ones.
    Thanks guys.

Nationality
    [Canada]

No I have never had it happen with my guys to my knowledge, the reason I say not to my knowledge is because I feed in almost total darkness so I wouldn't have been able to see it. If he seems healthy though and doing everything he's supposed to I wouldn't over think it, just keep an eye on him when he's not burrowed. If he starts bleeding without eating he may have cut the inside of the mouth with the spines from the legs as mentioned, but if it stopped right after you wiped it this more then likely isn't the case. Here in Canada we get the brown crickets, the only black ones I see are the ones outside in my yard and garden. If your using the large crickets maybe try the medium size, the one thing you want to be careful with while swallowing is that when they swallow they use there eyes to help push the item down. That's why when he swallows you will notice his eyes shut and kind of push down into his head, you wouldn't want him to hurt the inside of his mouth were the eyes are because then he could get eye infections from the inside or even damage the eye. I don't think is what happened just something to think about when feeding him. This is why I feed prekilled fuzzies, I wouldn't want one to bite one of my frogs in his mouth right behind the eye. That would be a disaster, and a for sure trip to the vet.

10. This member thanks monster for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    No I have never had it happen with my guys to my knowledge, the reason I say not to my knowledge is because I feed in almost total darkness so I wouldn't have been able to see it. If he seems healthy though and doing everything he's supposed to I wouldn't over think it, just keep an eye on him when he's not burrowed. If he starts bleeding without eating he may have cut the inside of the mouth with the spines from the legs as mentioned, but if it stopped right after you wiped it this more then likely isn't the case. Here in Canada we get the brown crickets, the only black ones I see are the ones outside in my yard and garden. If your using the large crickets maybe try the medium size, the one thing you want to be careful with while swallowing is that when they swallow they use there eyes to help push the item down. That's why when he swallows you will notice his eyes shut and kind of push down into his head, you wouldn't want him to hurt the inside of his mouth were the eyes are because then he could get eye infections from the inside or even damage the eye. I don't think is what happened just something to think about when feeding him. This is why I feed prekilled fuzzies, I wouldn't want one to bite one of my frogs in his mouth right behind the eye. That would be a disaster, and a for sure trip to the vet.
    Okay bro thank you, i really hope it doesn't, anyway crickets can not bite that bad can they?
    By feeding the cricket butt first, i assume it will already be dead when the head goes in?
    Otherwise yes, the brown one are smaller like yours i guess, but the black ones, which yes are the garden ones but captive breed, they're like 1cms longer and they have more meat i guess.
    So i'll be using only the browns for now, but i'll give him the big ones when he grows a bit, i'll not worry too much he just seemed fine, appart from running from the tongs when i gave him the big one at the end he was fine after.
    Anyway i've just unborrowed the guy to check on him and he got into the pool jumping, he seems fine, he might have over eated today ahahaha but appart from that, fine no?

Thanks Monster

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi froghub! Just checked my PMs, I'm glad Xavier and Monster already advised you! I really hope Trixie is just fine.
    I've only ever heard reference to a pacman bleeding from the nose once, but I can't remember where. The, the one thing worrying me about this is generally crickets and most insects dont have red blood, they usually produce a greenish-brownish goo. I wish I had more helpful advice, but Xavier and Monster are right, now it really just comes down to keeping an eye on trixie. It sounds like he/she is behaving normally, which is good. Good luck!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

13. This member thanks daybr4ke for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    Hi froghub! Just checked my PMs, I'm glad Xavier and Monster already advised you! I really hope Trixie is just fine.
    I've only ever heard reference to a pacman bleeding from the nose once, but I can't remember where. The, the one thing worrying me about this is generally crickets and most insects dont have red blood, they usually produce a greenish-brownish goo. I wish I had more helpful advice, but Xavier and Monster are right, now it really just comes down to keeping an eye on trixie. It sounds like he/she is behaving normally, which is good. Good luck!
    Yeah, you are right. So i guess the cricket must have in some way managed to cut the frogs mouth. I'll take special care this days.
    Hope it's nothing, thanks Bryce

15. This member thanks froghub for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by froghub View Post
    Yeah, you are right. So i guess the cricket must have in some way managed to cut the frogs mouth. I'll take special care this days.
    Hope it's nothing, thanks Bryce
    These frogs have tough skin and the spines on the hind legs of crickets would have difficulty piercing it. Are you positive it was blood? The reason i ask this is because their blood clots very quickly and would begin to coagulate rapidly once exposed to the air. Did you happen to get any photos of what you are describing?

Bryce is correct. Insect blood is called hemolymph and is not normally red in color because it does not contain red blood cells. Crickets do occationally produce a spit similar to what grasshoppers produce and can be reddish brown. The cricket could have gotten on the frog's face and left a spot before the frog attempted to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    These frogs have tough skin and the spines on the hind legs of crickets would have difficulty piercing it. Are you positive it was blood? The reason i ask this is because their blood clots very quickly and would begin to coagulate rapidly once exposed to the air. Did you happen to get any photos of what you are describing?

Bryce is correct. Insect blood is called hemolymph and is not normally red in color because it does not contain red blood cells. Crickets do occationally produce a spit similar to what grasshoppers produce and can be reddish brown. The cricket could have gotten on the frog's face and left a spot before the frog attempted to eat it.
    First off all, thank you very much for your answer Grif.
    Yes, 100% positive it was blood coming from his nostrils.
    Also 100% sure it was from the nostrils and i was checking him out i saw it coming out in both nostrils, so it wasnt an outside bite.
    I tongfed him and i fed him the cricket butt first, mouth toward the substrat so if he bitted the frog in the mouth it would have been in the lower side.
    It was red like ours. Then it did coagulate very fast and there was a translucid liquid where it had coagulated by the nostrils. I cleaned all out and untill now it did not happen again. Should i be worried about him?
    No time for the photo, just had the time to clean him up and check if he was good.
    Before he got the blood coming out i've noticed that sometimes he opens his mouth to breath. Now he doesn't do that anymore. Maybe something was stuck in there and he did the blood thing to free the nostrils? Since he was eating something big he could be asfixiating or something and cleaning the nostrils to breath? Not sure if this makes any sense.
    Lets say he was full already, and he tried to eat this big cricket last, could that be a problem and cause this blood?
    Also i'm considering that he could have banged his face agaisnt the wall as Monster said or while jumping to the pool as he moves a lot. But i guess if it was the case he would not bleed after, it would be in the moment. While i was there it did not happen.
    I'll feed the guy again tomorrow, hope it doesn't happen again. I might just kill the crickets before feeding him
    Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, 100% positive it was blood coming from his nostrils. Then it did coagulate very fast and there was a translucid liquid where it had coagulated by the nostrils. I cleaned all out and untill now it did not happen again. Should i be worried about him?
    Thanks
    If blood came from the frog's nostrils then yes that is not good. Any discharge from the nostrils is usually a bad sign unless the frog is fed in water, in which case if they get a mouthful of water they will expell it through their nostrils. Are you using tongs or forceps to feed your frogs? The reason I ask is because they can hurt themselves when they get over excited during feeding and bite the tongs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, 100% positive it was blood coming from his nostrils.
    Also 100% sure it was from the nostrils and i was checking him out i saw it coming out in both nostrils, so it wasnt an outside bite.
    I tongfed him and i fed him the cricket butt first, mouth toward the substrat so if he bitted the frog in the mouth it would have been in the lower side.
    It was red like ours. Then it did coagulate very fast and there was a translucid liquid where it had coagulated by the nostrils. I cleaned all out and untill now it did not happen again. Should i be worried about him?
    No time for the photo, just had the time to clean him up and check if he was good.
    Before he got the blood coming out i've noticed that sometimes he opens his mouth to breath. Now he doesn't do that anymore. Maybe something was stuck in there and he did the blood thing to free the nostrils? Since he was eating something big he could be asfixiating or something and cleaning the nostrils to breath? Not sure if this makes any sense.
    Lets say he was full already, and he tried to eat this big cricket last, could that be a problem and cause this blood?
    I'll feed the guy again tomorrow, hope it doesn't happen again. I might just kill the crickets before feeding him
    Thanks
    If his airway were blocked, he would have asphyxiated. Though they can utilize cutaneous respiration, their primary means of obtaining oxygen is through ventilation of the lungs.

They do not breath through their mouths. The yawn like motion of the mouth is to assist in swallowing prey. This is sometimes used in conjunction with depression of the eyes to release the prey from the tongue.

I've never had any discharge blood from their nostrils or have their nostrils obstructed. This is not a natural occurrence.

If he were full and ate too much or too large of prey it could result in a ruptured stomach, but that would have killed him immediately.

If blood came from the frog's nostrils then yes that is not good. Any discharge from the nostrils is usually a bad sign unless the frog is fed in water, in which case if they get a mouthful of water they will expell it through their nostrils. Are you using tongs or forceps to feed your frogs? The reason I ask is because they can hurt themselves when they get over excited during feeding and bite the tongs.
    If his airway were blocked, he would have asphyxiated. Though they can utilize cutaneous respiration, their primary means of obtaining oxygen is through ventilation of the lungs.

They do not breath through their mouths. The yawn like motion of the mouth is to assist in swallowing prey. This is sometimes used in conjunction with depression of the eyes to release the prey from the tongue.

I've never had any discharge blood from their nostrils or have their nostrils obstructed. This is not a natural occurrence.

If he were full and ate too much or too large of prey it could result in a ruptured stomach, but that would have killed him immediately.
    20cms tongs, he did not bite them but he struggled with that one cricket he was trying to run off and he was big.
    The bleeding only started when cricket head was in the mouth already.
    I pinch the cricket by the head and give the butt to the frog so he had space.
    I've edited the other post while you were answering, sorry.
    Okay so he have not eat too much, maybe more than normal but not exploding.
    He usually eats 6 mediuns, i gave him 3 big ones this time.
    What if that yawn movement happens outside of eating time? They're hungry?
    Okay so it narrows it down. Most likely he hurted himself in the mouth eating that cricket?
    What should i do?
    Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

20cms tongs, he did not bite them but he struggled with that one cricket he was trying to run off and he was big.
    The bleeding only started when cricket head was in the mouth already.
    I pinch the cricket by the head and give the butt to the frog so he had space.
    I've edited the other post while you were answering, sorry.
    What if that yawn movement happens outside of eating time? They're hungry?
    Okay so it narrows it down. Most likely he hurted himself in the mouth eating that cricket?
    What should i do?
    Thanks
    They also yawn when shedding because they eat their shed skin.

Give the crickets to him head first. All the spines on their legs hook backwards and the legs fold that way as well. You could feed him smaller crickets if you are worried.

22. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

They also yawn when shedding because they eat their shed skin.

Give the crickets to him head first. All the spines on their legs hook backwards and the legs fold that way as well. You could feed him smaller crickets if you are worried.
    Thanks, will do, head first it is and yes, i got smaller ones now for the next couple of days. I'm sure he can handle adult crickets but just to be safe.
    So cricket might have hooked legs to throat and cut him on the way down.
    Any idea of what might happened there? He might got hurt in the mouth?
    How bad would it be and how can i check?
    Thanks Grif

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks, will do, head first it is
    Any idea of what might happened there? He might got hurt in the mouth?
    How bad would it be and how can i check?
    Thanks Grif
    It is possible the cricket's spines scratched the inside of his mouth, but i am unsure. This is a rare occurrence.

In order to look inside his mouth you'll need someone to hold him for you while you gently use a plastic spoon turned upside down to open his mouth. Insert the tip of the spoon between the upper and lower jaws beneath the end of his snout and gently slide in toward the hinge of his jaws. It will not be very easy and he will not be happy, but you can take a peek inside his mouth that way. Be in a well lit area so you can see. Look or any redness on the palit or tongue.

You could also opt to let him be and just keep an eye on him. If he is active and eating normally then he may be fine.

It is possible the cricket's spines scratched the inside of his mouth, but i am unsure. This is a rare occurrence.

In order to look inside his mouth you'll need someone to hold him for you while you gently use a plastic spoon turned upside down to open his mouth. It will not be very easy and he will not be happy, but you can take a peek inside his mouth that way. Be in a well lit area so you can see. Look or any redness on the palit or tongue.

You could also opt to let him be and just keep an eye on him. If he is active and eating normally then he may be fine.
    Okay thanks Grif, when i feed him tomorrow i'll set up a camera and some light to see if i can check him without disturbing too much.
    He's active, not sure about eating i'll see if he eats tomorrow, but i would believe so, if i see some redness, what can i do to help?

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay thanks Grif, when i feed him tomorrow i'll set up a camera and some light to see if i can check him without disturbing too much.
    He's active, not sure about eating i'll see if he eats tomorrow, but i would believe so, if i see some redness, what can i do to help?
    There really isn't anything you can do for his mouth without meds you would get from a vet. You would only need to worry if he does have a wound and it became infected.

There really isn't anything you can do for his mouth without meds you would get from a vet. You would only need to worry if he does have a wound and it became infected.
    Okay so i fed him one cricket, he was burried in is hole, he ate one, i was able to see the tongue which seems normal. But i was not able to check further inside.
    I'll give the guy some time. He looks just fine, he borrowed onto the ground after he ate has he normally does, and he doesn't seem to be in pain. I guess there could be a wound his mouth, i'll not feed him tomorrow anyway, so if there is i give him time to heal it. By the weekend i'll try to check his mouth if i see some stranger behavior.
    What do you think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information