Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about humidity and temps

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Question about humidity and temps

Looking great I'm not sure if 25W will be enough though, usually 40W is one to go for but let us know how you get on. Agree with Corey, mealworms are rubbish, barely have any nutrition to them aswell. Best thing to feed is earth worms/nightcrawlers, my Pac loves them!

2. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Looking great I'm not sure if 25W will be enough though, usually 40W is one to go for but let us know how you get on. Agree with Corey, mealworms are rubbish, barely have any nutrition to them aswell. Best thing to feed is earth worms/nightcrawlers, my Pac loves them!
    Thanks again,

Well it keeps up so far 78.8 F that's 26 C.
    The previous bulb kept it almost the same to be honest just about a degree in difference.
    But I'll try this and see. I can't put any other bulbs in that hood so. This one or the other one will have to do until the next enclosure comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. This member thanks Shakudo for this post:

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Default Question about humidity and temps

Because I am a nerd and I like it....
    I went ahead and compared ten random websites with each other about their advice concerning temperatures for pac man frogs.

I made a little temp analysis.
    I like statistics I guess lol
    For those interested my personal favorite is no. 10. I find it the most accessible for me.

Thought I'd share a little screenshot.

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Well, here's an update on the temps...

I saw that with my central heating on the temps rose to 27 C / 80 F.
    The behavior of my frog changed.

At first Kermit sat in a little bowl in the substrate.

With the new light and heatmat on, I saw that Kermit went almost completely underground, only a little green spec was visible.

I read about this and I concluded that it might be too warm.

I woke up at 4 AM this night and went to check on Kermit. the temps were about 23 C / 73 F.
    And was sitting in the bowl like manner again.

I have removed the heat mat under the thank, and I am observing how Kermit reacts now.
    I have felt the underside of the enclosure and more surface then expected was heated, more then I intended anyway, so I chose to follow the advice given and remove it.

Currently the temperature is 24 C / 75 F, and Kermit has come up a bit and now sits in the bowl manner again and not completely burrowed down.

I know burrowing is the Natural behavior of these frog species, but I also read I should pay attention to sudden changes in behavior.
    The forenamed behavior started when I had the new lamp, and heat mat on and my central heating in my house on.

I have concluded that the notion "every frog is different" certainly applies. And I am leaning towards the idea that Kermit feels more comfortable at this temperature then the hotter temp.

I am not observing any soaking, cleaned some poop so I know there has been eating. There are some crickets left though which have been in there a few days.
    I am planning to remove them if they are not eaten soon.

The humidity currently sits between 60 and 70 % but I won't let it fall down lower than 60 %.
    The humidity is dropping faster since the new lamp, but that's only logical.
    I mist once maybe twice a day.

Can't think of anything more to report lol.

Joey

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

First Kermit was completely under the ground, I could only see a little bit of the back.
    Now the temps have been brought down, I see the same pose as in the beginning.

I have the feeling this situation is better somehow.

Joey

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Default Question about humidity and temps

Hello everybody,
    Well.... The daytemps and humidity are okay now.
    But...
    I noticed at night the temps dropped to 20 degrees C / 68 F I was afraid the temps would get to low. It can cool down pretty much in my living room at night. Even to 18 C / 64 F.

I put the heat mat back under the tank but on a separate timer. It will go on when the lights go out. And turn off when the lights come back on in the morning so there is always a heat source but not on together at the same time. I really hope I got it right now.

Sigh.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, if your day temp is still 75 I would really try to get it back up to about that 80f mark. Him sitting in the water bowl can be for other reasons then him just being warm. If the substrate is to dry and he cant absorb enough moisture through his skin to hydrate himself he would sit in the bowl to do this, not saying this is the problem its just an example. Also letting it drop that low at night isn't good either. They need the heat to digest there food and being in temps like this for to long can also lead to serious illnesses. And the illness could happen over time so you may think hes doing good and then all of a sudden he isn't. Being exposed to low temps for to long can damage the kidneys and lymph nodes causing edema. When I got my first pacman ever this is the condition she was being kept in but at the time of purchase she seemed ok. Everything was fine for the first couple months and then she took a turn for the worse. When I brought her to the vet she was diagnosed with edema, I asked if it could have been there the whole time and she said yes, and with it being my first frog I just didnt notice the signs till it was out of control and to late. Even after a month of antibiotics she passed away shortly after. Edema isn't curable, its one of those things that you can make better for awhile to give your frog abit longer of a life but will flare up again and eventually your frog cant take it anymore. I know fighting with the humidity is a pain but the temps are very important. Also if there isn't enough humidity that can be another reason hes sitting in the bowl. I would put a 40 watt red bulb in that hood and hook it to a dimmer or thermostat so you can adjust it for night temps and get a dome to place on top with a bulb for light that doesn't produce heat that you can just turn off at night. If you already have the temps back up around 80 mark never mind this, and 81f to 82f would be even better.

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Hi, if your day temp is still 75 I would really try to get it back up to about that 80f mark. Him sitting in the water bowl can be for other reasons then him just being warm. If the substrate is to dry and he cant absorb enough moisture through his skin to hydrate himself he would sit in the bowl to do this, not saying this is the problem its just an example. Also letting it drop that low at night isn't good either. They need the heat to digest there food and being in temps like this for to long can also lead to serious illnesses. And the illness could happen over time so you may think hes doing good and then all of a sudden he isn't. Being exposed to low temps for to long can damage the kidneys and lymph nodes causing edema. When I got my first pacman ever this is the condition she was being kept in but at the time of purchase she seemed ok. Everything was fine for the first couple months and then she took a turn for the worse. When I brought her to the vet she was diagnosed with edema, I asked if it could have been there the whole time and she said yes, and with it being my first frog I just didnt notice the signs till it was out of control and to late. Even after a month of antibiotics she passed away shortly after. Edema isn't curable, its one of those things that you can make better for awhile to give your frog abit longer of a life but will flare up again and eventually your frog cant take it anymore. I know fighting with the humidity is a pain but the temps are very important. Also if there isn't enough humidity that can be another reason hes sitting in the bowl. I would put a 40 watt red bulb in that hood and hook it to a dimmer or thermostat so you can adjust it for night temps and get a dome to place on top with a bulb for light that doesn't produce heat that you can just turn off at night. If you already have the temps back up around 80 mark never mind this, and 81f to 82f would be even better.
    I think you misread.
    I write about how he is sitting in the substrate in a little bowl like manner. Not in the water dish.
    I maintain humidity every day.

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Ive contacted his breeder again.

I'm getting so much info and so much conflicting info that I'm really overwhelmed right now.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yes you are right about me misreading that part and yes I thought you meant he was staying in his water dish, sorry about that part.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information