Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 25 gallon vivarium

Jace

Default New 25 gallon vivarium

This is our first attempt at a vivarium....practice run for the 55 gallon we have coming later this month. So far, the FBT love it-they started barking and cooing within minutes of being put in here. We also added another member to this community, bringing the total up to 6 (2 browns and 4 greens). I have live plants in there, but if they die, I am switching to silk!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New 25 gallon vivarium

Very nice indeed. Is the divider a sheet of glass or something else? I wish you luck keeping the terrestrial substrate out of the water though ;(.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

Looks god to me1

You will have to net some floating substrate out of the water feature occasionally, however, if you add a bit of terrestrial moss, live or otherwise as a "door mat" At the entrance to the water feature, this will keep any stray substrate in the water to a minimum.

Excellent work!
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
    Looks god to me1

You will have to net some floating substrate out of the water feature occasionally, however, if you add a bit of terrestrial moss, live or otherwise as a "door mat" At the entrance to the water feature, this will keep any stray substrate in the water to a minimum.

Excellent work!

Thanks! And an excellent idea about the terrestrial moss. I will have to give that a try as I am using a small fishing net to get the bits of substrate out. The toads think it's a game, though, as they swim into the net and won't come out!!

John, we used a piece of plexiglass for the divider, and just cut it down to size. I'm thinking I should have angled it a bit higher for more water, but so far the toads aren't complaining. We know what to do different for next time.

Nationality
    [United States]

B. orientalis really enjoy having aquatic plants in their water features. They generally do not dive deep. Mine is chocked with java moss which they enjoy hanging out on top of.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Jacob

Loving the Tank! Also the Plexiglass Seperator is Perfectly Placed down, Very nice.

JeffX

I love the tank. It looks good. Good luck keeping the substrate from getting into the water. My FBT's are always dragging stuff into the water of their tanks.

Username

Loving It! how Much did it cost that is a very nice tank, Its also a creative one. And its perfect for FBT. Question, Is it a bother to clean it? It looks like it would be.

Jace

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments! The FBTs are loving it, but man do they ever drag everything in with them. I'm thinking of trying another substrate-anyone have any suggestions?

Username: I had the tank previously filled with fish, and it's been so long since I bought it, I can't remember the price. But to buy the plexiglass and the substrate to layer, it was around $25 dollars. The most expensive was the aquarium safe silicone.

Johnny, I am going to try some java moss...if you hear cursing, it is not going well!

Jace

Sorry, forgot to answer a question: cleaning it.

At first I was kind of stumped, but I then used a turkey baster (which reminds me, I have to buy another one now) and sucked 99% of the water out. Then I used a chemical free scrubbie, paper towel and then filled it back up. Took about 20 minutes from start to finish.

Username

Hmm, Turkey Baster, That's an Awesome and Unique way to clean it :B

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    Wish I could take credit for it, but truth be told, someone else mentioned using a baster in another thread and I slapped my forhead and thought "why didn't I think of that???". I'm not sure how to go about cleaning the substrate part without tearing it all up, but it should be good for a couple of months at least. I hope-that could be a big project!!

Username

Hehe, Substrate can be difficult to clean, Sometimes you even have to take all off it out and Replace it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Wish I could take credit for it, but truth be told, someone else mentioned using a baster in another thread and I slapped my forhead and thought "why didn't I think of that???". I'm not sure how to go about cleaning the substrate part without tearing it all up, but it should be good for a couple of months at least. I hope-that could be a big project!!

A small kitty litter scoop works well, as does a plastic spoon. Snag up the feces when you see it, and plan for about a bi-annual complete substrate change.

Amphibians

Its a whole lot easier to syphon your water out, all you need is some plastic tubing, should take a few minutes.

Mattiez

I can't quite tell, but are those woodchips for substrate? If so, you might want to change that, as it may be an impaction risk.

Jace

So far I haven't had a problem with the toads ingesting anything, but I can tell you that I am really sick of fishing debris out of the water!! As well, from watering the plants-which are still alive amazingly!-I have water build up underneath. I saw on another thread of including a syphoning tube which would have been great to think of orginally. Oh well. I am planning on changing the substrate and adding another plant or two to add to ground cover. I would welcome any and all suggestions. My goal is to get rid of the plastic plant I have floating in the water for them.

Trohr

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    I clean my frog's water dish by sucking out the water with one of those curved syringes you get from the dentist when they pull your wisdom teeth out :]

Awesome vivarium- everything looks nice, and soft for the critter bellies~

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I'm not sure how to go about cleaning the substrate part without tearing it all up, but it should be good for a couple of months at least. I hope-that could be a big project!!
    In my vivarium I use nothing but large wood chips, sphagum moss, river rocks, cork bark, and silk leaves/ plants. To get it all clean I built myself a chicken wire screen that's stapled to a sturdy 2X4 frame. When I'm ready to clean everything I pull the frogs out, dump the entire tank onto the screen, take it outside, and scrub/hose the hell out of it. Comes out smelling fresh, and clean.

Not sure if you would want to do that to your substrate, but it's an idea :]

Jace

Thanks Trohr-the toads really like it as well! They now spend as much time on land as they do in the water, hiding out in the plants and climbing over the driftwood. I'm having problems keeping the water portion clean and clear-I think my underwater filter is not capable of keeping up with 6 toads who bring in everything but the kitchen sink into the water.

You cleaning idea is one I will keep in mind-thanks for the suggestion! Finding that balance between what the toaders will love and what will be more convienant for me is a fine line I haven't found yet...but I won't quit until I do! Cheers.

Dwhiteman11

Frog moss worked good for me. I have a 20 gallon tank set up similar to yours. I cut a piece of plexy glass and siliconed it straight up and down and I put a waterfall in the water. The frog moss stays together a lot better with hardly any loose stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information