Thread: toad cannabalism

Default toad cannabalism

Hello

I have a juvenile American toad that I captured last august when it was the size of a nickel. It is currently being kept in a 5 gallon plastic tank as a growout setup until he reaches a large enough size to be included in my adult toad tank with two other individuals. I have been feeding it small insects such as calcium dusted small crickets and small chunks of nightcrawler. it has grown since I caught it however I'm scared of the possibility of it becoming stunted, with that being said would it be a bad I deal to put it with the adults or would they attempt to eat it as I am fully aware that toads are voracious predators of animals that are smaller than them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: toad cannabalism

Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    Hello

I have a juvenile American toad that I captured last august when it was the size of a nickel. It is currently being kept in a 5 gallon plastic tank as a growout setup until he reaches a large enough size to be included in my adult toad tank with two other individuals. I have been feeding it small insects such as calcium dusted small crickets and small chunks of nightcrawler. it has grown since I caught it however I'm scared of the possibility of it becoming stunted, with that being said would it be a bad I deal to put it with the adults or would they attempt to eat it as I am fully aware that toads are voracious predators of animals that are smaller than them?
    How big is the toad now?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    How big is the toad now?

The toad is a bit larger than a toonie so about inch and a half maybe just an estimate I don't want to physically measure it as I'm afraid of causing damage to it

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    The toad is a bit larger than a toonie so about inch and a half maybe just an estimate I don't want to physically measure it as I'm afraid of causing damage to it
    I understand so if you can take a picture of the young toad and a picture of the adults we can probably have a better idea of their sizes

ok. so the adult toads are roughly 3 to 5 inches long and my young one is almost 2 inches without legs being measured I couldn't get photos of them measured up to objects as they really weren't cooperating although I do have photos of them but it really doesn't give a judgement of their size

Hi all

So my juvenile toad has grown quite a bit since the last time I've posted and it is about 2.5 inches without legs and very round (I've determined it to be a small female). I believe the toad would do better in a larger tank such as the one with my adult toads instead of the grout critter keeper. and even though it is too large to fit into the mouths of my adult toads I'm kinda concerned that they may pick on her considering that it is smaller than them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. For size reference: The adult male is about 3 inches long from nose to tail bone while my adult female is about 4 inches long and very plump.

Thread Information