Hey there,
New to this forum, and I couldn't seem to find any answers to my problem about my FBT. I adopted him from someone who had him for 6 years. He was by himself in his tank which he's still in now, and when I took him home I noticed he was making his calls at night and did some more research and found that they do better in groups. I figured why not get another one....and maybe it will be a female and we can have some babies?
I wanted to make the poor guy happy....
Anyway, I got a new toad friend for him, and I think it's a female because he won't leave her the hell alone. He makes his mating calls ALL DAY LONG and attempts amplexus with her/him ALL THE TIME. She/he isn't having it, but also isn't very aggressive towards him. She/he sometimes makes little "leave me alone" chirp and slowly squeezes out of it. I felt bad for her so got another toad to kinda lessen the stress on her/him in an attempt to make things a little more pleasant in "Froggy Land."
WELLLLL.....Now he's just annoying the f*** out of both of them, and I feel like they're all miserable because theyre both either not ready to mate if they're female, or just constantly annoyed by his attempts if they're male. Every time they come into the water, he "attacks" them and they hop away.
I just don't want to cause any stress to these guys, but also want to know whether or not this is a natural behavior for male FBTs during mating season, or if he's just making these calls because he's feeling threatened by the new toads in HIS enclosure and is acting territorial towards them? When I separate him, he doesn't call as much, but moving him around stresses him out because he hates being handled. He's kind of a jerk LOL but I want what's best for them. Any suggestions??? Thanks!
Sarah