Thread: I'm new here

froggiesmama

Default I'm new here

hello im new here i got this from my friend lisaann177, i got one of her tadpole and im rasing it one.. and it challenege and i love it. I want to learn about frogs.
    thanks
    lark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: im new here

Welcome to Frog Forum, Lark! What kind of tadpole do you have?
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Welcome to the forum Lark!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

froggiesmama

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    Welcome to Frog Forum, Lark! What kind of tadpole do you have?
    I have two ACF they r become froglets now thanks

ToadPaparazzi

I found a pond infested with xenopus in Lona Linda, CA a few years ago... At first, I thought the tadpoles were some strange kind of stream catfish or an aquatic arthropod... It's disturbing and amazing how they can survive these harsh climates!

Welcome to the forum!

BG

Wow an invasive species ,thats bad.

ToadPaparazzi

Very bad... Chytrid has nearly wiped out a species of (forgive me if I'm wrong about the species) yellow legged frogs in the not too distant mountains (San Jacinto, Santa Rosa). I'm not sure if these xenopus were dumped in the pool of water I found them in or if they have traveled from upstream. The pool was connected to a stream that runs through a flood control that I believe eventually runs into the Santa Ana river. When we had the floods last year, or early this year (can't remember when exactly), it washed everything away... Good news; no more xenopus in the flood control ditch... Bad news; they are all probably in some huge pond off the Santa Ana river somewhere.

I wonder how they ended up there in the first place... The hospital I work for is only a few miles from the stream... It is a teaching/research hospital... I wonder if they could be descendants of frogs that might have been used for pregnancy tests early last century.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I'm new here

Welcome Lark !
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

These frogs are very hardy and designed to live in extreme conditions. There are reports of Xenopus living in mud without food or water for nearly a year. In fact, a second species has been found in Ethiopia, a quite inhospitable place. You can also find them in the Namib desert (one of the driest places on earth). They can live in fresh or brackish water with pH levels from 3.9 to 9.0. Many people think that this species is completely aquatic. Not true! They are capable of overland migration. This is the primary way they can colonize new areas quite quickly.

Of course, they are carriers of chytrid. Unfortunately, they didn't realize that decades ago when many scientific labs and hospitals dumped them into local streams and ponds. Xenopus is still being used as a model organism for genetic and embryological studies. Silurana (Xenopus) tropicalis is replacing X. laevis in research.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

BG

Thats crazy stuff.these frogs are made of steel compared to our ecosystem where its mush fragile then those hardy frogs .they will distroy our delicate ecosystems.

ToadPaparazzi

Very interesting Terry! Thanks for the enlightenment I had no idea they were found in the Namib desert! O knew they were highly capable of terrestrial migration, just didn't know the extent of it.

It took me hours to catch an adult when I found the pond!

BG

Everybody is focused on florida pest but this is worst. The scary part is you don't hear nothing from the media!

Kurt

I have heard of it. Rana muscosa is being wiped out by chytridiomycosis, possible introduced to California by released Xenopus laevis.

Kurt

Oh welcome aboard.

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information