Thread: Tree Frog ID? / Hurricane Rescue?

Harry

Default Tree Frog ID? / Hurricane Rescue?

I don't keep frogs, but every night they come up onto my second floor deck. I am on Long Island, NY, in the path of Hurricane Irene and am wondering about possibly trying to save some of these little guys. I have posted two photos below. These two are about 1.5 inchs long. Others on the deck range from about 1/2 inch to two inches.

Are these Gray Tree frogs / Hyla Versacolor?

What are your thoughts about trying to help them through the storm? Should I put them into the woods down below? Try to take them indoors for a few days? If I take them indoors, would they be ok in a cardboard box with some branches, a bowl of water, some grass on the bottom, covered with a screened lid, and misted daily?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Harry

Name:  HV1.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  104.2 KBName:  HV2.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  80.5 KB
    Last edited by Harry; August 27th, 2011 at 01:20 AM. Reason: addition

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tree Frog ID? / Hurricane Rescue?

They are Hyla versicolor. I wouldn't worry about the frogs. When the storm rolls in they'll go to ground.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Harry

Thank you for the note John. As I was clearing items from the second floor deck I found that there were a number of these frogs hidden under things like tarps, barbeque cover, etc. These guys will be displaced because I have to move these items because of the coming storm.

What should I do with them as they are being displaced? Carry them down to ground level and put them somewhere? If so, what sort of spot is best? There is a pond about an 1/4 mile away. But it will surely flood and overflow in this storm.I can put them in the trees, or at the base of the trees. I can keep them in a box for a few days...

I do not think they will have an opportunity to simply go to the ground on their own if I simply dump them out of the lawn furniture onto the deck.

Not much time left to decide on this...

Thanks,

Harry

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

You can take them in for a day or two, no problem. A cardboard box will probably get mushy in no time, though.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I admire your concern for them but if frogs were truly that fragile when it comes to the weather, then they wouldn't still be around. Personally I would let them go in the woods or near the pond. If it will make you feel better then by all means hang on to them for a couple of days like Brian advises.

Nationality
    [United States]

True, they'll be fine. We still have frogs down here in Florida!
    Azureus Matecho BYH Citronella Regina White's TF

Josh (aka jwthought81)

BG

We have tree frogs on Long Island? Thats news to me . Are you by the south shore. Its really nice what you doing for the little guys, they are very lucky they are in good hands. The worst is yet to come with this Irene. I hope its not another Gloria.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Having been through a more powerful Hurricane than Irene, I can tell you the frogs will be fine. It's buildings, roads, trees, and cars that are in trouble (and obviously the people near them).

Harry

In the end I made a temporary cardboard space about a foot square and 18 or so inches high, covered with a metal screen lid. I put leaf litter on the bottom and added some branches for perching.

I put one frog in there, and have been misting him with water once in a while. The other frog I carried down to ground level and released into brush near the pond.

This year my area had a large number of these guys a few months ago. I don't know if that is typical however. This is the North shore of Long Island, not far from an area called Rocky Point.

When the storm blows over I hope to release him back into the wild. The pond is about a 1/4 mile away, which would seem pretty far for a little guy like this.

Thanks to all for your input...

Harry

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    We have tree frogs on Long Island? Thats news to me . Are you by the south shore. Its really nice what you doing for the little guys, they are very lucky they are in good hands. The worst is yet to come with this Irene. I hope its not another Gloria.
    I was reading through posts- I know this post is a little dated . But, I just had to reply!
    I live on Long Island as well! I too, have never seen a " tree frog". However, I have co-worker who lives in Northport ( 5 miles from me) - who sees them , often, all summer? She finds them on her screen door in the morning. She has described them as being a little more green though? I wish I had photos. I will ask her if she took any.

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    I was reading through posts- I know this post is a little dated . But, I just had to reply!
    I live on Long Island as well! I too, have never seen a " tree frog". However, I have co-worker who lives in Northport ( 5 miles from me) - who sees them , often, all summer? She finds them on her screen door in the morning. She has described them as being a little more green though? I wish I had photos. I will ask her if she took any.

Lynn
    They come in green as well, and can change colour. Lots of samples in my albums if you want to see my locals. They are the only possibility according to Frogs and Toads of New York State - Identification Guide for a treefrog that's green in NY state. There are also links to their call on that page, it's a pleasant but pretty loud trilling. They'll trill in any warm and humid conditions, even now in the fall (though much less than in spring time) so you might still be able to locate them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Brian
    Just before the weather got chilly , recently. ( like 10 days, 2 weeks ago) I was walking at Caumsett Sate Park ( on the trails) . It was a, warm, sunny day. We were there early. I know I heard them, now that I have listened to their call. At the time the sound I kept hearing ( form the trees) I thought were cedar wax wings birds-but could not find the birds ( these birds are easy to locate because they are always in groups). It makes me sick to think they mosquito sprayed at Causmett this summer. That spray has had an obvious affect on the monarch population. They deny it though.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Harry

Though this thread is a bit old, it seems to still be active. Once again I've found another tree frog on my deck. This one is hiding under the cover of my barbeque. He needs a place to go for the winter. I don't what to do with him!

If I bring him down to ground level at this point, I imagine it will be too cold for him to make his way a suitable sheltered place to overwinter. Any thoughts?

If I bring him to ground level, where should I place him? Where would he normally overwinter?

If he is still there, would anyone local to suffolk county long island like to adopt him?

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Though this thread is a bit old, it seems to still be active. Once again I've found another tree frog on my deck. This one is hiding under the cover of my barbeque. He needs a place to go for the winter. I don't what to do with him!

If I bring him down to ground level at this point, I imagine it will be too cold for him to make his way a suitable sheltered place to overwinter. Any thoughts?

If I bring him to ground level, where should I place him? Where would he normally overwinter?
    It's not too cold for them yet. It should go to ground on it's own as the temperatures drop. They overwinter near the surface under leaf litter, tree roots, rocks and so on as they aren't great at burrowing in hard ground but they are capable of partially freezing so this works for them.

I wouldn't worry, it knows what to do. Please move it you plan do use the BBQ though

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    It's not too cold for them yet. It should go to ground on it's own as the temperatures drop... they are capable of partially freezing

I know this is an old thread and this is off topic, but I have to add this. I think it is amazing that frogs can freeze when the temp drops! I found an amazing article about an ancient frog they found and defrosted in a lab. It was just astonishing! Here is the link if anyone is interested in reading it. I recommend you do, you will be amazed, too, I am sure! Unexplained Phenomena There are many more articles online if you want to do a little research on it your self. I could not find the exact article I read, but this one mentions the article I read. Enjoy!

Thread Information