Thread: Oh hi! from Ohio

DJsmommy

Default Oh hi! from Ohio

I caught a toad this morning, and googled basic care and found this forum. Very cool! So, had to join lol. Does anyone know what kind of toad I have? Someone said they believe it is a bufo fowleri, but I only see one wart per spot, not three. But, then again, it is a small toad, so maybe it is young? Thank you very much! And I am at work, so I just bought a starter fish bowl on my way to work to keep him in, since he got out of the box, lol, so don't worry, I will move him as soon as I get home.Name:  toad 1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  37.8 KBName:  toad 2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  49.2 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome! Everyone is so nice here and they are quite knowledgeable and helpful!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Oh hi! from Ohio

Oh, I forgot to say welcome to the forum in my message. So welcome to the forum lolol !

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Frog Forum! Ohio has only two species of toad - American and Fowler's. The photos are dark and fuzzy and hides much of the details, but my immediate guess would be American toad. To determine which species of toad, take a look at the cranial crests. In the American toad, the cranial crests are not touching the parotid glands (large bumps behind the eyes). The Fowler's toad the crests are touching the glands.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would also guess american toad. If you need help setting up a home, just ask
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Kurt

Hi, welcome aboard. I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet, you need to get rid of the gravel! It can be easily and accidently ingested, causing an impaction, which in turn can lead to death. A more proper substrate would be ground coconut shell, which can be found at most pet stores. It's fine enough that it just passes through the GI system.
    I would reccomend at least a five-gallon tank or better yet a ten-gallon tank with a screen top for a home for this little guy. I would also reccomend you check out John Clare's "Basic Toad Care" article found in the care article section.
    Good luck.

DJsmommy

Yes, thank you for the gravel tip. I did read that article after I added it, and couldn't remove it at work. I had a 10 gallon clear plastic storage tote with lid at home, so I cleaned it out and added some coconut fiber and top soil to it. I also added a little water dish, which I have caught him playing in several times lol, and a little hide out made from an old egg carton. He burrowed himself in for the night, and I had to search for him this morning. I went to PetCo and bought some crickets. He ate two, and I put the leftover ones in the fish bowl I bought yesterday, with some fishfood that came with it. So, hopefully, he continues to do well.

Nationality
    [United States]

More tips?

Be sure to dechlorinate the water with fish/aquarium or reptile dechlorinator drops.

Your baby will need calcium with vitamin D3 powder supplement lightly dusted on his crickets. It will keep his little bones strong and healthy .

Have fun!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

DJsmommy

Oh wow, I will be sure to add the powder next time I feed him, and yes, I had some dechlorinator that I did add to his water. Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome

BG

Welcome to the forum, you are in the right place. Plenty of info for that one lucky toad.

Thread Information