Thread: Male clawed frogs colour change.

xxianxx

Default Male clawed frogs colour change.

My male african clawed frogs (xenopus laevis) are normally a pale washed out yellow, they have both been calling and amplexing with a female and she has layed a batch of eggs(which didnt hatch), they have both taken on a much more golden appearance and have reduced the amount of food they are eating , one has eaten nothing for about five days and the other has only had a couple of worms in the same time. I have never observed either of these events before, the reduced appetite is unusual as they normally eat every day or every other day and their colour has never varied before during mating. The female is unaffected and is having a break in another tank as she is a bit of a tart and never turns a cuddle down lol. Has anyone observed these two phenomena before ? because i can find no reference to the colour change whilst the reduced appetite, i assume, is due to a preoccupation with breeding.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Male clawed frogs colour change.

I don't think it's something to worry about. Hopefully Terry or Jenna will offer more their opinions.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Lacibeth

I know that some snakes (certain species more than others) will reduce, or stop, food intake during the breeding season. Of course, that has nothing to do w/ acf.

xxianxx

I had considered that these two events were linked to their breeding, it is just that they have never exhibited these changes before and i can find no referance to them in the forums or other sites.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have seen my reticulated albino darken a bit when he is feeling especially frisky....

Here is a picture of him usually...
    Name:  029.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  65.4 KB

And here he is when he is .... um, frisky....(he is not very good at it yet lol...he is still young)
    Name:  008-20.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  105.1 KB

As far as the appetite change, it is not something I would think twice about.... Xenopus can go long periods of time where they refuse food all together or have a reduced appetite. They can go weeks on end and then just resume their normal habits.

Whereas females may increase they eating if they are breeding often due to the required energy to produce so many eggs.
    I caution about increasing her food because you do not want her to become obese.

As stated above, the female should be allowed to rest between breedings and it is encouraged not to over breed for her and her egg's health. Three to four times a year should be the maximum number of times a female is bred.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

xxianxx

Thanks

Thread Information