Thread: Power Outage

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Power Outage

So our power just went out. It was only out for about four minutes so it wasn't a big deal. But the temp in Grif's tank dropped from 84.7 to 82.9 in just those couple minutes. It made me realize that I don't have any sort of plan for how to take care of Grif if we lose power in the winter. I live in Ohio. It doesn't get too cold here in winter, but its cold by pacman standards and we do get the occasional snow storm/power outage. I was just wondering how other people keep their frogs warm and safe in the event of a power outage? I would rather plan a head little than wait until it's January and 20 degrees out! Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: power outage

That is nothing I even thought about. Hopefully someone here has some pointers.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

I actually thought of stocking up on hand warmers and using them which I think would work in a pinch on a very short term basis ofcourse but defintly need to know what to do.

demeteraurion

Those heat packs are probably the best choice unless you want to get a generator. You could try placing his tank near a fireplace or something.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ya I thought about putting him near the fireplace. It sucks that fire would produce a dry heat though. Woutld have to keep his water near too so it would be warm for misting.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

In the winter snow if I lose power I open the frog room door, turn on the cooker hot plates (they're gas) and light them with a lighter or match, set 'em all on high. It is usually sufficient to keep things in the 60s for the day. If things are bad for longer than that I have a portable propane heater (Heater Buddy) that I can run in the frog room if necessary.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Sprout

Default Re: Power Outage

When I got my Pac it was pretty cold out but I found aiming a small portable heater towards the tank kept a steady temperature, also insulating the tank with towels might help?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Great tips guys!!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

nickc

for a temporary fix i wrap the enclosures in towels

thercman

It's not cheap but a company called Tripplite makes power inverters/chargers that will work as back ups. I use one for my salt water tank. You plug it into the wall, connect a couple car batteries to it and plug in your heater to the unit. It will keep the batteries charged, automatically switch to battery power and covert it to A/C when the power is out. When the power comes back on it will switch back to A/C from the wall and start charging the batteries again. Denpending on the amount of batteries you have, their rating and what your equipment draw is you can get 4-6hrs of back up heat. Could make the difference..... General-Purpose Inverter/Chargers

thercman

I was thinking about this scenario a bit more. For those of us with multiple enclosures, flexwatt heat tape on the bottom of the enclosures might be a good way to keep the tanks warm. First they can be connected in series. Second they draw reletively little power compaired to an aquarium heater. Third, using a light switch dimmer you can adjust the heat/temp as required making them even more efficient. Thus using a Tripplite on a set up of this nature may provide many hours of back up heat. I have not done the math in quite awhile. So when I get some free time I'll try to figure it out to see how long a couple different option may last. My tank heater and one pump would run for about 4hrs on 2 batteries.... And that is for my 375 gallon set up. Fairly large heater and huge pump...

Thread Information