Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sexing Geckos.

Jace

Default Sexing Geckos.

Finally got around to take some pics of the underside of my two geckos. The first picture is of Afton, whom I am pretty sure is female. The next two pictures are of Mika, who is the one I am having problems with. There seems to be some mild swelling at the base of the tail, but I cannot see any preanal vents. At over 5" long, the vents should be visible by now I would think. Anyway, if anyone could tell me for sure, one way or the other, it would be greatly appreciated!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Sexing Geckos.

At close inspection of the last picture, I think I detect faint preanal vents. I'm thinking I have a male and female on my hands......

Madeve

I would think so as well. I have two females and am having a hard time finding them a male companion.

Jace

Thanks, Eve. I am pretty sure he is a he, too! I am hoping that someone who has tons of gecko experience can tell me for sure. I heard that most of what is sold in the pet trade are females, but just my luck, I get a male. That's okay. I have them in a 55 gallon tank, so it will be easy to separate them and they will each have plenty of room. Will it be okay for them to see each other through the divider?

Kurt

I am not so convinced you have a male. Look for a line of femoral pores that would only be on the male. These lines are found on the underside of the thighs.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Mika seems like a boy, he has a bulge and looks kinda like he has the pores and Afton a female.

Jace

It's kind of hard to tell in the pictures I have. The one of Afton turned out clear...I might have to try again with Mika. In the pictures I can find, the pores or whatever they are called, are very noticeable. However, on Mika, I see a slight bulge and a very faint line which could possibly be pores. Ugh!! Why can't male geckos have it all hanging out like people, dogs, cats, and rodents?!?!

Kurt

Because they are to low to the ground and when they are running around it could get caught on something and break right off. No one wants to see that happen.

Nationality
    [United States]

Kurt i am sorry but sometimes knowledge isn't meant to be shared

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Because they are to low to the ground and when they are running around it could get caught on something and break right off. No one wants to see that happen.
    Too funny!! You're right, of course, though I've seen my geckos run on their tippy toes, giving them lots of clearance.....still, one wrong bang on a rock-ouch!! Okay, well, I just have to keep trying on Mika. I will try and get some better pictures and hopefully someone can give me a difinitive answer. Thanks everyone for trying!!

scribbles

Afton looks like a female, and I think Mika is a male. Not too sure about Mika.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Highum View Post
    Kurt i am sorry but sometimes knowledge isn't meant to be shared
    Tom, that was a joke. From now on when I make a joke I will put a smiley face on the end.

Nationality
    [United States]

I know but then i had that image in my head for about 3 hours. Just imagine how painful that would be.

Jace

I have a magnifying glass somewhere...maybe I should try and find it and do a close up of Mika. I would take him up to the petstore, but even just being in the glass bowl caused upchuck, so I don't want to stress him out too much. I am going to separate them anyway, just because Mika has proven to be the more dominate of the two and shows uncalled for aggressiveness towards Afton. I have a feeling in the next couple of weeks that Mika will be more easy to tell, and I am leaning towards a male. My daughter is disappointed, but I think it would be neat, actually. Most other people I know with geckos have girls....maybe I can charge a stud fee???

scribbles

I wish I had a female. All of mine are males.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by scribbles View Post
    I wish I had a female.
    Me too. <sigh> Oh you were talking lizards. Never mind.

Jace

Kurt, you are hilarious. You must be a real riot in person. A sense of humour is always good!

Kurt

So they say. It doesn't get me as far as one might think.

scribbles

hahaha

Jace

Well, I separated Mika and Afton, regardless of the sex outcome. Mika is all plump and stocky, with a thick tail, and Afton is obviously thinner and looks scrawny in comparison. So, if nothing else, I need to fatten up Afton. I put her into a five gallon inside the 55 gallon (I am short on heat sources and it was the best I could come up with on short notice) and I hope to figure out a way to divide the bigger tank this weekend. So far, Afton has already eaten more than she has in the past two days, and doesn't much care about the smaller size. I still feel guilty......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information