Thread: Skink owners or knowledgable people

hyla

Default Skink owners or knowledgable people

Can anyone enlighten me on blue tongued skink care? Their dispositions, habits and what to look for in a healthy animal? What do they eat, habitats, longevity? Thank you!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Skink owners or knowledgable people

Moved to the Other Pets area.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [Australia]

I have kept these in the past and when i needed some ideas on what they are like i looked on this site Blue Tongued Skinks as Pets - Care of the Blue Tongue Skink hope it helps, oh and if you don't own them already make sure you don't annoy them their bite is very strong...
    ~ Australian frogs Gotta love them

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I've seen 2 in captivity and I have to say, I love them!! I was told they do pack a nasty bite though.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

GreenTreeFrog14

Hey,I work in a petstore and I work with blue tounged skinks so I could help you out.They are omnivour's and eat collared greens,mustard greens,dandelion greens,papaya,figs,mago,rasberry,bannana's,tamato, zucchini,crickets,roach's,diffrent types of worms and you can treat them with cat food.They are great pets as in handling.They need a mininum 40 breeder and uva/uvb lighting and they basking spot should be at 95-100 Fand the cool side should be 70-80 F.The humidity should be 25-40%.Also provide hideing spots.And also calcium/multi-vitamin dust the food.

Nationality
    [Australia]

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    I've seen 2 in captivity and I have to say, I love them!! I was told they do pack a nasty bite though.
    lol the wild ones we get round here(eastern blue tounge) have an extremely strong bite i found out the hard way, never come to Australia and try pick up a wild one I guess
    ~ Australian frogs Gotta love them

hyla

Thanks for the info guys. I know of one that has been at a pet store for awhile since it was small and it is in a very tiny enclosure. I would love to get him in a proper setup but I hate to support pet stores with bad practices. They will just get another one in....

GreenTreeFrog14

Quote Originally Posted by hyla View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I know of one that has been at a pet store for awhile since it was small and it is in a very tiny enclosure. I would love to get him in a proper setup but I hate to support pet stores with bad practices. They will just get another one in....
    That's good that your going to get one but don't think all petstores are bad.Well petstores keep animals in temperary houseing.For example,at the petstore that I work at we keep sub-adult/adult blue tounged skinks in 10 gallon.Sure they can't live in there for life but its just temperary housing until they find a good home.If we wanted to give them the size tank they need we would have to provide a 40 breeder for each and then there won't be room.Also we personaly know what we're doing.Then agian there are petstores that actuly don't know what they're doing.One way to test if a petstore is knowledgeable is to ask them questions that you know that's right and see if they answer it similair or the same way.

hyla

Quote Originally Posted by GreenTreeFrog14 View Post
    That's good that your going to get one but don't think all petstores are bad.Well petstores keep animals in temperary houseing.For example,at the petstore that I work at we keep sub-adult/adult blue tounged skinks in 10 gallon.Sure they can't live in there for life but its just temperary housing until they find a good home.If we wanted to give them the size tank they need we would have to provide a 40 breeder for each and then there won't be room.Also we personaly know what we're doing.Then agian there are petstores that actuly don't know what they're doing.One way to test if a petstore is knowledgeable is to ask them questions that you know that's right and see if they answer it similair or the same way.
    Sorry, I recently had started a thread about the pet store I am referring to that had dead frogs in an enclosure. The ones that were still alive had burn like sores on them, no fresh water and a very dirty enclosure. Thats what I meant by bad practices, not about their skink setup.

Thread Information