Thread: Why flightless fruit flies??

spooky

Default Why flightless fruit flies??

Hi all! I was just wondering why flightless/wingless fruit flies are more preferred to than flying fruit flies? Are they easier to cultivate? Or is it because they are easier for frogs to catch? Sorry if it's a silly question, I just don't get it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mattiez

Default Re: Why flightless fruit flies??

I think its easier for the frogs, and their keepers. You don't have to worry about escapes in your house as easily.

KellyM

It makes it easier on you lol
    The little buggers are small and escape like nobodies business. If they had wings it would be much worse!

the lack of wings probably helps some of the animals too.....

JeffX

Yes they are much easier for everyone involved. Just for simple fact that they don't fly. It's easier to catch them if they do get out and easier for the frogs to catch them as well.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It takes a lot longer for a "walk" to get to the bananas in your kitchen than it does for a "fly".
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

spooky

Yeah, they were the logical answers I guess! Thought there may be more to it than that! Next, they should try to genetically modify crickets so they don't jump...... Now THERE'S an idea!!! They are a pain

Nationality
    [United States]

hmm is that possible? i like the idea because then the males couldn't chirp

Nationality
    [United States]

A trick you can use at feeding time for all live insects is to put hem in the fridge for a few minutes. This slows them down enough you can easily get them out of their containers and into your pet enclosures. they warm up and start moving again just as you get the pet enclosure closed up.

As a kid I did a now legendary "experiment" with fruit flies. Thanks to the inexperience of youth, my parent's house was infested with hundreds of thousands of flying fruit flies for close to a year!

This is why I prefer the wingless strains of fruit flies for feeding. Some strains of flightless fruit flies WILL redevelop the ability to fly after a few generations.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

spooky

I did a similar experiment with snails when I was 8 or 9... I tried to keep them as pets in a bucket. With no lid. We were infested with snails for ages after!!! Haha! Thanks for the fridge tip, will certainly give it a go!!!

Mike

There are a few varieties of flightless (vestigial) fruit flies (turkish gliders, curly wings, etc.) and wingless (apterous) fruit flies (standard, golden delicious, etc.). There was a good article online that documented all of the Drosophila species & strains which are commonly cultured in the hobby but unfortunately it is no longer online.

I currently keep turkish gliders and standard wingless, and the turkish glider cultures are more productive for me than the wingless. Could just be me but I've heard some others with the same experience. They hop around but are also easily contained and worth it.

Thread Information