Thread: new and have questions

amber1003

Default new and have questions

Mt nephew was given a fire belly toad from friend. I went out and got a small habitat from the pet store till next week when i can buy something bigger. He got him yesterday and we gave him some crickets today and he did not eat them, they just ended up drowning in the water part. Is he not eating because he is in a new environment? should we buy another one for company? How long can he go withput eating before I should worry?

Thanks in advance for any advice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Frog Mom

Default Re: new and have questions

I have seen it recommended on here that you cover three sides of the container to help them feel secure while they are adjusting to the new environment. I guess sometimes they take awhile to eat during the adjustment phase.

Firebelly love

Your toad may not be eating because he is adjusting to the new environment, my new toads don't eat for 3-4 days after I get them! And getting another toad is up to you, they tend to be more lively when in groups. How many toads you get also depends on the size of the tank. I don't think you should worry just try to feed him one cricket every day until finally he eats one.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum Amber! It will probably take a few days to eat, if you are worried about the crickets drowning in the meantime, you could try the bowl feeding method. Put the crickets in a glass bowl that your frog can access. They shouldn't be able to get out. That way you can keep a good eye on it. Also try to give him a bit of privacy and don't "helicopter" over him while he is adjusting. If you get a bigger habitat, you could definitely add another one in there. I would say you can safely put 2 or 3 in a 10 gallon tank. Good luck!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

bshmerlie

The crickets should not be any bigger than the distance between his eyes.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I even thought about that when I was typing Cheri...and totally forgot to put it in there! Such a good point to stress, if the crickets are too big, the frog might not even attempt to get them. If it does get one, it could be harmful when it is too big, causing choking or impaction.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

JeffX

Everyone has brought up some great points for you. You could also try worms as well. Mine loved them, but feed them sparingly and only for a treat. I'd go with waxworms myself.

s6t6nic6l

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Mom View Post
    I have seen it recommended on here that you cover three sides of the container to help them feel secure while they are adjusting to the new environment. I guess sometimes they take awhile to eat during the adjustment phase.
    any hiding spot in the housing will be suffice i.e. halved tiny plant pot on side or such like.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebelly love View Post
    Your toad may not be eating because he is adjusting to the new environment, my new toads didn't eat for 3-4 days after I got them! And getting another toad is up to you, they tend to be more lively when in groups. How many toads you get also depends on the size of the tank. I don't think you should worry just try to feed him one cricket every day until finally he eats one.
    agreed. you will benefit from a group of these toads as they will become more active (and vocal) than having a sad and lonely critter. the more floor space you can provide will help by having a decent land/water area to benefit from. a ratio of 60/40 i find as worked well with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Welcome to the forum Amber! It will probably take a few days to eat, if you are worried about the crickets drowning in the meantime, you could try the bowl feeding method. Put the crickets in a glass bowl that your frog can access. They shouldn't be able to get out. That way you can keep a good eye on it. Also try to give him a bit of privacy and don't "helicopter" over him while he is adjusting. If you get a bigger habitat, you could definitely add another one in there. I would say you can safely put 2 or 3 in a 10 gallon tank. Good luck!
    yes welcome. and good points raised

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    The crickets should not be any bigger than the distance between his eyes.
    total nonsense i'm afraid. how this notion came about i don't know, but try watching any wild fbt's and you will see them eating anything upto half their body size. (i feed mine with 1/3 size food with no complications like choking etc. if the food is to big it will leave it alone or cough it back up if too big to swallow. why do people think captive animals are any different to any wild ones in the same scenario. .
    anyway, with rant over , good luck with the toad and the others you will be getting too for company
    cheers
    nic

Thread Information