Thread: To Heat Lamp, or not to Heat Lamp?

ediblelogic

Default To Heat Lamp, or not to Heat Lamp?

Hi- I live in Michigan, and as most of you know (being it a northern state) we have some pretty severe winter chills. When I purchased Leo (my white's treefrog) at the store, the lady told me not to use a heat lamp because it would dry out his skin. Instead, she handed me a heating pad to put beneath his tank. Now, I've got that all set up and plugged in. However, I'm starting to fear that one little heat pad isn't going to be enough for him. It gets to freezing in Michigan and I don't want Leo to get cold. (We generally keep our house temp at about 70 degrees, but that doesn't stop the winter chill from occasionally seeping in.) I've heard a few members speaking of heat lamps, and I was wondering if I should invest in one for Leo, so that he can be more comfortable throughout the winter months. Any other tips or comments are also welcome.
    Last edited by ediblelogic; September 30th, 2009 at 05:05 AM. Reason: spelling error

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

StephenLS

Default Re: To Heat Lamp, or not to Heat Lamp?

Personally I'd just invest in a higher wattage, larger heat mat and I'd mount it on the back or side of the tank to create a temperature gradient from one side to the other so your White's TF can decide what temp he wants to be at!

If you were to use a lamp I'd suggest mounting it quite high above the tank and I'd guess you're thinking infra red so you could have it on during the night without disturbing the frog?
    These bulbs get really hot and my only concern would be that the top of the tank would heat up and the frog would beurn itself on it!

Ta

Steve

JeffX

I don't use lamps for my frogs and toads. The dip in temperature at night is normal, and recommended. Even if you keep your home at 70 degrees; the tank should still be in a normal temp range unless you have the tank near a place where a draft can get in.

keysgate

Hello, I am also in MI. with mostly toads (canes,fowler,sonoran). I use a low wattage infrared heat lamp with them and it seems to work fine. The fowler I keep at room temp. as it is native to MI. My frogs (pixie,pac-man) I use a more indirect method as would be afraid of drying them out. Also keep all moist with a water spray. Hope this helps.

Endosymbiote

I live in upstate NY, and its already gotten quite cool here. My house temp is kept around 70 as well, but it fluctuates. What I've done is set up a heating pad on one side of the tank. This creates a temp. gradient: one side is warm, the other cold. At night, the temperature dips, but my WTF does not seem to mind.

ediblelogic

Thank you all for your advice. I think that I will go with the Heat Gradient idea by mounting a second heating pad on the same side as the first, so that he can choose his comfort zone.
    You are all very helpful, thank you.

Thread Information