Thread: Any suggestions on how to revive a feeding responce?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Any suggestions on how to revive a feeding responce?

I've tried a lot of things to try and get a feeding responce from Grif. I guess I could use some help. I have gotten one from him by raising the temp to 88 degrees for a few moments then cooling it down to 84. He was buried al the way when I did this so if he hasn't ccompletely covered himself I don't want to try it again for fear of over heating him. I figure that their natural habitat get temps much higher than this but I guess in captivity it may cause stress. He didn't seem bothered at all by it. He stays on the warm side of the tank anyway. I force feed him soft food and vitamins. He has much more energy than when he was first sick and I was taking him to the vet. He is a very beloved pet and friend. His personality is like no pet I've ever had. Last night when I was force feeding him he would run away from me and go to my fiance and hide under her and talk by making his little popping and clicking noises. Ha ha I guess he was telling her he didn't want his vitamin. If he wants to go back in his tank he will actually come to me and climb on my hands. I thaught frogs could get that comfortable with humans. I guess he feels safe with us. Anyway. If anyone could help. I mean anything at all I would greatly appreciate it. I will force feed him for the rest of his life if I have to but it would be great if I could get him back to his old self.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Default Re: Any suggestions on how to revive a feeding responce?

There should be no harm keeping him in the late 80s. I would continue force feeding him until he looks to be a healthy weight, then stop force feeding him and then for a week or two I would try offering him food ever 2 days and see what happens. If he's at a healthy weight then 2 weeks is a safe "trial" period.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    There should be no harm keeping him in the late 80s. I would continue force feeding him until he looks to be a healthy weight, then stop force feeding him and then for a week or two I would try offering him food ever 2 days and see what happens. If he's at a healthy weight then 2 weeks is a safe "trial" period.

Thanks john. I wasn't sure about 88 degrees being to hot because everything I've read says not to go over 85 but I guess that's just the ideal temp. I didnt think 88 was to hot myself considering that ohio where I live in the summer reaches well over 90 and our native frogs aren't affeted much at all and I know in the tropical climate of South America it must reach 100 or more during the day and be rediculously humid. Ill try heating him up to around 88 again to see if he responds and ill continue to force feed him. He finally pooped 2 days ago after going for 2 weeks without doing so and it was quite large. It apeared normal. It was a different color than when he ate crickets but its probably because of the amount of vitamines in it along with the soft food ime giving him. He absorbs water normally and pees pretty much as usual just can't get him to eat on his own. He still fallows his day/night cycle too. Everything seems normal he just won't eat. Ill do as you suggest and see what happens. it sucks that it takes them so long to recover. I'm hoping that the soft food I'm giving him has plenty of fat and protein to help him gain

Lacibeth

As long as you're providing a temperature gradient (hot end and cool end) he'll let you know where he's comfortable.

I had the music playing last night and Hannibal apparently didn't like it b/c he insisted on calling on the off beat.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lacibeth View Post
    As long as you're providing a temperature gradient (hot end and cool end) he'll let you know where he's comfortable.

I had the music playing last night and Hannibal apparently didn't like it b/c he insisted on calling on the off beat.

Grif hasn't made any call sounds yet. He mostly does a clicking or popping sound with his throat when we talk to him. One time I was wipping some dirt away from his eye and he growled at me. It was funny. That's the only aggressive noise he's ever made twards me though. He's really nice and doesn't bite at all. I guess maybe his conditions aren't right for calling or maybe he's to young I'm not sure. He does make a cheep sound every now and then. I've had him for about 6 months. I do keep a heat gradient so hopefully ill get a responce soon.

Thread Information