Thread: Rodent Question

Sublime

Default Rodent Question

I was going to pick up a pixie this weekend probably at a retail store. My mom is really attached to living things so it's hard for me to buy a reptile/amphibian that loves rodents . I sort of find it a little bit sad to feed it a live mouse because of the suffering, but it doesn't bother me that much. From my understanding of all the researching, rodent's always seemed optional for your pixie. Now I've read a lot of care sheets on pixie frogs and a couple articles said that mammalistic (Not even sure that's a word) diets for pixies aren't really great for them. Digestion, organ failure, bite wounds, shortened lives, bodies aren't really designed for that type of food even though they are carnivores. What I would be doing is just feeding him/her a staple diet of crickets, fat worms, cockroaches, etc. without the monthly rodent. I understand that a lot of people on youtube that are feeding them live mice to entertain and just get their pixies as fat as possible quick. My question is could I still be able to raise a pixie happily and grow him/her to a big size like the other pictures I've seen of pixies?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Rodent Question

I rarely feed them mice and I've got a 7-8 inch male. That should answer the question. Number 1 food for Pyxies, in my opinion, is/are nightcrawlers. Mice are fine every now and then but why feed a live one? The frozen ones you can buy are perfectly fine and they were killed "humanely" as opposed to letting them be bitten, crushed and suffocated to death by a huge frog.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Sublime

Default Re: Rodent Question

Oh ok nice. Yeah I would definitely be feeding mine lots of nightcrawlers. I agree with you on the ones that are already dead, while I'm under my parents’ house I have to abide by what my mom thinks even though she has cats that kill lizards, mice, and birds. Go figure? Well if anything, the dead ones will be on the menu haha. Thanks for your advice John; cleared it up. Take it easy.

Thread Information