Thread: Feeding tiny White's treefrog-lets..

spooky

Default Feeding tiny White's treefrog-lets..

I'm hoping to get my white's on Thursday but not quite sure on feeding... Asked in pet shop and they suggested size 1 crickets, which I'm assuming are the smallest, but they still look too big to me. Would flightless fruit flies be a better option? And how much/how often would I need to feed the froglet/s? Can I just put a whole batch in and leave the frog/s to it? Or add a few every day/every other day? And do flies need to be fed with a powder supplement? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure that I'm totally prepared for my frog/s!!
    Last edited by spooky; September 29th, 2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: forgot to ask something else (sorry!!!!)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding tiny White's treefrog-lets..

Drosophila melanogaster (wingless) to start.
    Drosophila hydei (flightless) later on, then onward into crickets and roaches.

I am not sure what a "size 1" cricket is, but here is a pretty good sizing chart, even though it is in the archaic measurement system we are still forced to use here in the US:

Ghann's Cricket Farm :: Pinhead Live Crickets

D. melanogaster are the same size as the 1/16th crix, hydei are closer to 1/8th inch.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Kurt

The fruit flies will be in a culture, so you don't have to feed them. But you will have to dust them. I use a vial to do this, as it gives me more control over the flies. I use a funnel to get them into the vial. You must shake the vial/funnel as you put them in, otherwise they just walk away. Once in the vial put a little bit of the supplements you are using and gentle shake. Then pour them out into your frog's enclosure.

spooky

Thanks for the help! I know I don't have to feed the flies, I meant did I have to dust them with powder, and feed them to the frogs. Bad typing on my part

Mike

You can try bean beetles (Callosobruchus maculatus) as well, they are about the size of Drosophila hydei.

Thread Information