Thread: Suggestions?

Jon K

Post Suggestions?

Alright hello everyone, I've had three red eyed tree frogs in a 29 gallon tank for about a week now. I know they've been eating and they look healthy but i have'nt had a good chance to view them. everytime I try to use a light to look at them they go back to sleep within ten minutes. So my question is how can i view them with out bothering them or perhaps make them more active thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mdtalley22

You can use those blue night bulbs that you can get at pet stores, but sometimes even this can bother frogs...my frogs didn't really become bold even at night until about a month (granted I have clown tree frogs), but I keep them with no lights at night, and only view them with a little flash light...hope this helps!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Suggestions?

You can't make them. They're nocturnal. That's why I don't keep Red-Eyes. These frogs are the biggest con-job perpetrated by the photographic industry because we see all of these beautiful photos of a stunning frog, but no one tells you the frogs are never that way during the day.

They will never be active during the day I'm afraid. If you want to observe them at night, I suggest you get a weak red colored light that comes on in the evening. This won't bother them.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

nikki

I have a red eye and I went thru so many bulbs it was crazy I wanted to see him at night I would sit in front of the tank for a long time just to see his nightly duties and see what he does but the only one I found that works is the red night bulb.

Jon K

Well i do have a red bulb i could try so ill put that in tonight. They are really coool frogs its just that their asleemost of the time and look like a green lump. Does anyone know why the red bulb works i read that the frogs Couldnt see the red light waves

Nationality
    [United States]

I've read the same. I have a black light in mine currently. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. She likes to sit under it. I'll post a pic. The light reflects her and some of my plants in a reddish-orange.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Jon K

your frog is very nice is she albino

bshmerlie

I have my tank next to my computer. So I use the light from the computer monitor to view them. The rest if the room is completely dark. I've had them for awhile so they are very use to me working at the computer and come over to watch me. When I first started using the monitor to observe them I would dim it a little bit but now they don't mind at all. I would suggest getting a small dimmable plug in lamp and start it off with just a little light and gradually increase it over several months. If they squint their eyes and act like they're going to go back to sleep dim it more. After awhile you'll be surprised how much light they are willing to tolerate. As far as activity level goes its all relative. I work all day and often come home when it is just getting dark. They are just waking up when I get home. All my other frogs are going to bed. If you're home during the day then nocturnal frogs would not be the best choice. But I get home late, sit at my computer and watch my frogs. Give your frogs time to get use to your routine. One small light source in the room for observation eventually wont bother them especially if it is a daily routine. Just turn it off when you're done. I love my Red Eyes. I've had them for almost four years now and I just recently got another to add to my group. Their graceful clumsiness is entertaining to watch.

Nationality
    [United States]

She is not an albino. The light reflects her as reddish-orange (the black light).

The first two pictures are of her during the day. She was only awake because I was adjusting her tank. She sleeps ALL day long.

The last picture is one of her at night hunting. I snuck the light on briefly to catch a photo. She generally wakes up around 10 pm. I have been up late the last few nights and she has been awake every night hunting crickets and exploring.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

11. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Treefrognewbie

I also have some Red Eyes, and i don't mind that they sleep all day at all, because i'm never really in my room to watch them. Sometimes i do watch them sleep though. haha! And i don't use any bulbs in mine, just my ceiling fan light is enough for me to see them. They are never very active though.

Nationality
    [United States]

Do you have pictures?

Treefrognewbie

the first picture is Marvin, the second picture is Radar. Still little babies Name:  2011_0724CamCamera0002.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  22.9 KBName:  2011_0802CamCamera0003.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  46.1 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh my goodness! They are so little! So cute!
    My Stickers is about 3 inches long.

Treefrognewbie

i'm pretty sure Radar is a female. but she is pretty much anti-social. Marvin on the other hand, he LOVES to be out of the tank and to be with/around me. If anybody else touches him, he freaks out and jumps away. so it's just me that he likes i guess

Nationality
    [United States]

Awesome!
    Stickers is pretty shy still but I've only had her for about 3 weeks. I can't wait to get her a buddy.

Treefrognewbie

i think she will enjoy that. sometimes mine sleep together I'm hoping to have them breed when they are adults, but i'm not sure i want all that responsibility. That's not gonna be for awhile though, so i always have time to decide. haha

Thread Information