Thread: What's wrong with him?! :(

FireBellyToad

Default What's wrong with him?! :(

Hello,

I know it's been a while since I've been active on here, but I have a problem. I've had my FBTs now for almost a year without any issues. They've all been very healthy and eating fine. Well, tonight I just noticed that my one frog, Arnold, had this very wet/shiny spot on the top of his head. After taking a picture with the flash, it looks a whitish blue? What is this?! He's been eating, but I have noticed that lately he's been less active. I now have him separated from my other two in fear that whatever it is, it may be contagious. Any help would be great! I feel so awful for him.

Here is a picture:

Thank you for any advice!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What's wrong with him?! :(

The only thing I can think of is an ulcer but the color and morphology of it are wrong for ulceration in my experience. You've got me stumped and that's not easy to do. Hopefully someone else can help here. You did the right thing to separate it from the others. If it's eating healthily then just keep an eye on it until you get more feedback. If this is not the case, I would say it's vet time.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That looks terrible I hope you get some help soon. I am clueless.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

FireBellyToad

Thank you so much for your advice! Yeah, I have absolutely no idea what this could be. What I did do, though, is because this is so hard to see with the naked eye (it just looks like a wet spot on his head) and maybe I just haven't noticed it, I went through some pictures I took last month to see if I could notice something I may have missed. In one picture of him, I think I do see the start of something? It's a little bit on his left side of his head. I circled it, but honestly, it might be hard to see. This picture was taken on July 4th, so over a month ago. I'm not sure if this information helps anything, but it might be important that it looks like it's been going on for a while. Poor guy. I feel awful that I didn't even notice.

Thank you again so much for any ideas!

Nationality
    [Ireland]

That might help a vet diagnose the problem but you will almost certainly have to take the frog to the vet to get it.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

FireBellyToad

Alright, thanks! I just called my vet's office and they said they're not sure that the exotics vet can see a FBT. They told me to call back Saturday morning when she's in, and if she can see him, to make an appointment then. So, I'm going to keep an eye on him and then call them Saturday morning. Luckily, I don't think it's an emergency if it's been going on this long, so I think waiting 2 days will be ok. But if they can't see him, I'm going to have to take him somewhere else. But I really hope they can, I really like my vet's office, and I know they'd do their best to figure out what's wrong.

Thanks guys! I'll keep you updated!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Poor guy - that's an odd looking ailment, almost looks like a blister ... i hope your vet can see him and figure out what is wrong, keep us updated!

heyjude2200

Good luck with the little guy--let us know how it goes.

FireBellyToad

Sorry I didn't update sooner but it's been a crazy busy day. I called this morning and they can see him, and I have an appointment for him in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes!

bshmerlie

Definately let us know what the vet says.

FireBellyToad

Alright, so back from the vet. The vet examined him and said that he has a really bad infection. She said that whatever it is has eaten through the top layer of skin, and what is being seen in those pictures is his tissue. She said it could be an internal infection on top of that as well. So, she prescribed a baytril ointment, and told me I have to apply the tiniest drop once a day. Well, I just got home and applied the first drop, and let me tell you, it was one of the scariest things! He was in immediate pain, was hopping around frantically and trying to rub it off of his head with his front legs. And then, after that, it starting to bleed a lot. I mean, he actually had blood running down his little face. I felt terrible. I got a little bit of toilet paper and dabbed off the blood, and luckily, it did stop bleeding pretty quickly. Right after that I called the vet, and they said it doesn't surprise them that it happened, and that it's probably a good thing? They told me that the next application, to put it on a q-tip and apply it like that instead of directly on top of the wound. I hope this is the right thing. I can tell you I felt terrible having put that on his head and have that happen. I'm hoping this next application goes better. That was awful.

On a lighter and more interesting note, they weighed him and he weighs 3.6 grams! I always wondered how much they weighed. It was definitely an interesting experience, as I have never had to take a frog to the vet before. They all seemed pretty shocked by it, too.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry glad you got him some help though. Hopefully it will get cleared up now and he'll be okay

Firebelly love

That sounds like a pretty frightening experience to me, if my frog started bleeding I might pass out! I really hope he gets better.

FireBellyToad

Thank you!

So, I took some pictures this morning before and after I gave him some more medicine. I know it's only been a few days, but I think I notice a difference? Not just his energy level (which has definitely improved), but the wound looks like it's possibly getting darker/a little browner in some spots, which I'm hoping is some skin trying to grow back. I'm not sure if my mind is just playing tricks on me though?

Here he is before the medicine this morning:

Him not too happy after I had to apply it. It stopped bleeding, though!

But the good thing is, through this, he's never lost his appetite!

Thanks again for the good healing vibes. I was really worried at first, but I think I might be seeing improvement!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It looks more brown to me too! Hopefully that means he is healing. I'm glad you took him in <3

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Definitely looks much better than the initial pics.
    Keep up the good work on caring for his condition.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

FireBellyToad

I haven't updated this thread in forever! I just wanted to update everyone on how Arnold is doing. Let me tell you, this has been a slooooooow process, but he's almost there! I've been keeping in contact with my vet every other week updating her on his progress. She had advised me to continue to give his antibiotic to to keep updating her on how he is coming along (she said amphibians take a long time to heal, which is odd, because for some reason I thought it'd be quicker than other animals). Here is his updated picture. It's ALMOST completely better! He has a nice layer of skin, but I'm still seeing that blue tint that I'm not liking too much..

But compared to where he was:

..it's a big improvement! I really hope he doesn't have too much longer to go, though. I hate how long he's had to stay on this antibiotic. But, I'm also really happy, because she wasn't even sure this was going to work! Better to be a slow process than not work at all. Just wanted to update everyone on how he is doing!

Thread Information