Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New PacMan

Joe9252

Default New PacMan

So sadly my pacman died about a month ago I only had it for 3 months it stopped eating and just died very sad .... Not sure why it died I wish i really knew perhaps it was my fault maybe too much heat from the lamp i really dont know.... but I was really upset and finally decided to get a new one today. Decided to go with an albino this time and he is a little guy purchased a smaller "starter tank" for him and I just wanna make sure all is good and I wanna get him big and healthy so far hes eaten 5 little crickets so im very pleased I just placed another 5 in the tank to see if he eats more so what do you guys think.. Also any words of advise I wanna make sure Im doing everything right also is there anyway to tell if its a male or female from my understand females grow much faster and bigger than males

here a pic of the little guy:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New PacMan

You need to give him some kind of cover, even if it's just a plastic cave. They don't like being out in the open like that. You may want to use a proper substrate too. Part of the problem with keeping one in such a small volume of water is that when they defecate (poop) it pollutes the entire terrarium and the frog has to sit in it until you clean it out.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Poly

Hi, I'm think of getting one of there frogs too, they look very interesting, more like a stomach with eyes than a frog...

I'm a newbie too, here's my tank setup for my toad, try setting your up like this too, I'm sure I'd work much better, and when I get a Pacman, I am going to set it's tank up the same way as my toads tank.

I have roughly 6 inches of organic soil on the bottom, 5 live plants, I don't believe in fake plants, a few sticks and 1 log, a little hill with the toads water dish on top, and the lower part of the hill is hollowed out to allow the toad to burrow, and quite a bit of moss which holds moisture very well, and gives the toad a place to sit/burrow. I don't know that much about Pacs, but I think this tank set up would work well for them too.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  36.5 KB
    Last edited by Poly; August 10th, 2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Guess I should have said what exactaly was in my tank, huh?

demeteraurion

It looks like you are using a heat mat on the bottom of that kritter keeper, and with no substrate you are cooking the frog, you may not have a heat pad but it looks kind of like it. Get some eco earth and a few plants and a water dish. Or maybe that was just a temporary set up, good luck

Joe9252

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You need to give him some kind of cover, even if it's just a plastic cave. They don't like being out in the open like that. You may want to use a proper substrate too. Part of the problem with keeping one in such a small volume of water is that when they defecate (poop) it pollutes the entire terrarium and the frog has to sit in it until you clean it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by demeteraurion View Post
    It looks like you are using a heat mat on the bottom of that kritter keeper, and with no substrate you are cooking the frog, you may not have a heat pad but it looks kind of like it. Get some eco earth and a few plants and a water dish. Or maybe that was just a temporary set up, good luck
    No heat pad thats just the stand for a light from my 10g tank

I have my 10g tank from my old one but i was told to keep him in this until it gets bigger.... should i go by some substrate and make the little tank good from him or should i just put him in my 10g which is all setup?
    Name:  IMG_20110714_125727.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  71.6 KB

demeteraurion

Quote Originally Posted by Joe9252 View Post
    I have my 10g tank from my old one but i was told to keep him in this.... should i go by some substrate and make the little tank good from him or should i just put him in my 10g?
    Name:  IMG_20110714_125727.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  71.6 KB
    The kritter keeper is probably fine for a frog that size but he needs some type of dirt or moss to dig in. And I'd recommend you move the heat mat to the side of it, if you do have one attached. My albino looks about the same size as yours Wish mine had the same appetite

Joe9252

The kritter keeper is probably fine for a frog that size but he needs some type of dirt or moss to dig in. And I'd recommend you move the heat mat to the side of it, if you do have one attached. My albino looks about the same size as yours Wish mine had the same appetite
    ok ill got buy a some coconut fiber and a tiny water bowl and make a little habitat in the kritter keeper for now how long have u have ur albino that its that same size as mine... Ive seen pictures of people with massive pacmans and mine old one was so small I just wanna finally have a big one lol

demeteraurion

ok ill got buy a some coconut fiber and a tiny water bowl and make a little habitat in the kritter keeper for now how long have u have ur albino that its that same size as mine... Ive seen pictures of people with massive pacmans and mine old one was so small I just wanna finally have a big one lol
    I've had mine 3 months and he hasn't grown at all, but he barely eats so I hope he gets better. I too want a huge frog, I may get an ornate if possible.

Eel Noob

I like to keep young frogs on moist paper towel with a small shallow water dish.

Joe9252

Well just took your advise and made him a little home he seems to like it already burrowed himself in the substrate so that must be good.... should I try feeding him again later tonight so far he has eaten 5 tiny crickets today

what do you think of his new home?

BG

I thought i was loosing one of my packman so i listened to john about what was i doing wrong and the tank was to close to the air conditioner so i removed them from there into a 80 degree room and they came back they really want a warm area and a cool area so they have th ewarter supply to cool off now i can get agoodlooking albino like yours

demeteraurion

Ah, I just saw how little he is :P Mine is actually bigger than him. Looks better

Joe9252

So i just peeked on him and I noticed he is really buried under could be if cuz he is too cold or is that normal? as of right now it around 74 in the tank i have a 50W heat lamp but its red should I use it to warm up the tank or will that damage his eyes? Im just worried him burrowing himself that deep is not norm behavior any advise?

demeteraurion

It is normal. I would use a lower wattage though. I currently use a 25w blue party bulb I picked up from Home Depot for $3 and it works great on keeping the temps up and I don't find it to be too bright.

Joe9252

It is normal. I would use a lower wattage though. I currently use a 25w blue party bulb I picked up from Home Depot for $3 and it works great on keeping the temps up and I don't find it to be too bright.
    I just purchased a mini heat pad and put it at the side of the tank and also a 25w blue light.... how high is ur light above the tank mine is about a foot im gonna do a misting and keep the light on for the next hr and see where the temp goes right now its about 70 in there

Joe9252

So anything else I should be feeding him aside from tiny crickets for now?

demeteraurion

You could try nightcrawlers or earthworms. My lamp is right on top of the tank but I have a plant underneath it so there is quite a bit of shade.

Joe9252

You could try nightcrawlers or earthworms. My lamp is right on top of the tank but I have a plant underneath it so there is quite a bit of shade.
    he not too small for nightcrawlers or earthworms? just wanna make sure he is big enough

Nationality
    [Armenia]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Cool little guy you got there !

demeteraurion

he not too small for nightcrawlers or earthworms? just wanna make sure he is big enough
    YOu could cut them up, I have to do it for my frog sometimes, dubia roaches are good too, and horn worms if you can find them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information