Thread: New to this

sinaria

Default New to this

Hi everyone, Im new to this site, found it on google.

I am looking to get a pair of dart frogs, but have never kept any amphibian before. I have a bearded dragon, so thats a desert setup, i think it would be awesome to have a humid setup.

I cant seem to find a caresheet for darts at all. I was wondering if anyone had a link to one. Also can u guys post pictures of your dart frog setups? id like an idea of what the setups can look like.

Thanks everyone.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: New to this

If you have never kept amphibians, maybe you shouldn't start with darts. They can be problematic.
    Perhaps one of the rubber frogs, Phrynomantis sp. or fire-bellied toads, Bombina orientalis is a better choice to start with. They are colorful and much easier to keep.
    In the case of the rubber frogs, they may be a good trainer frog for those interested in darts. They eat small prey items such as fruit flies and bean weevils, so that will help to teach you how to culture small insects. And when/if you fail at that, they will eat small crickets you can get at your local pet store, until you have perfected you culturing skills.
    Now the best beginner's frogs are without a doubt White's treefrog, Litoria caerulea and the gray treefrogs, Hyla versicolor/chrysoscelis. All three are tough, hardy species and are fairly easy to care for. Keepers of this frog soon find they have distinct personalities and enjoy their antics.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

We don't have dart frog care sheet as yet, but this is something on the to-do list. They are not hard to take care of once you have experience, but for beginners they invariably get sick and die. Kurt has made some good recommendations. You can always get darts when you have learned the ropes.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

sinaria

thanks for the suggestions. after i posted i read that treefrogs are a better beginner species, so thats what i will go with.

once i gain some experience and knowledge maybe then i will try darts.

thanks again

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What tree frog are you looking into? And i hope you get the darts sometime.

sinaria

oh i definitely will get darts sooner of later, but i think i will start with the whites tree frog, just to get some experience with frogs. im used to the bearded dragon, with completely different needs, so i think this is better off.

thanks again everyone

Thread Information